What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burt v Hayne - The Stats

strider

Post Whore
defensively I think Hayne is actually a very good tackler at fullback (dunno about organising players in the defensive line - i'm not in the defensive line myself so can't say I have experienced it) .... but I've seen hayne do some very good fullback defense - the try saver on wesser at Penrith way back in his first game was quite miraculous tbh

however - I actually think hayne's defense at centre is woeful - he lets his man get outside him WAY too much and then usually can't make the tackle .... at 5/8 I thought his defense was solid - and on the wing I think he does an ok job too .... but centre - yikes!!!

Freak2

Juniors
I just don't know why we cannot all just accept the facts. Jarryd Hayne is a prolific WINGER! Not centre not 5/8 not fullback. He is probably the world's best winger, but that's it. If he doesn't want to play there well BEAT IT PAL!

I am slowly but surely starting to question the ability of DA. He is making some very poor decisions which is costing us and then goes to a media conference and makes public comment about players pride???
That crap is best served behind closed doors IMO...

Bigfella

Coach
I think everyone on this thread is half right.

I don;t think we can afford Burt at fullback anymore. His defence is so abysmal that our entire team is infected with a softness that gives other sides an edge. They know we are soft and that they can force him over the line. Some of his mates are nearly as bad but he dead set didn't attempt tackles on some of those tries.

Sure he set up 1 try. Some of his kick returns are marginally better.

But if we keep picking him we will continue to be a laughing stock both defensively, and in terms of our mental toughness.

Equally, Hayne's attitude and form do not justify him being given any sort of reward or promotion.

Reddy should be starting fullback immediately. he is the form player with Moi Moi Grothe and Hindmarsh. He is playing out of position.

The outside backs should line up as:

1. Reddy
2. Hayne
3. Inu
4. Smith
5. Grothe

Both Smith and Inu would be extremely lucky to continue to be picked on current form and on final notice.

Raudonikis

Juniors
I am still waiting for RJ to come back into his fav thread and explain why burt was his fav player in 04 and now thinks he is crap

Raudonikis

Juniors
I just don't know why we cannot all just accept the facts. Jarryd Hayne is a prolific WINGER! Not centre not 5/8 not fullback. He is probably the world's best winger, but that's it. If he doesn't want to play there well BEAT IT PAL!

I am slowly but surely starting to question the ability of DA. He is making some very poor decisions which is costing us and then goes to a media conference and makes public comment about players pride???
That crap is best served behind closed doors IMO...

Yep,ur right

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why should have DA spoken about the pride issue behind doors??? Most of us on the forum have been saying it for years. Maybe it might sting them into action, much better than "We are not far away from where we want to be" Crap :x

Raudonikis

Juniors
I think everyone on this thread is half right.

I don;t think we can afford Burt at fullback anymore. His defence is so abysmal that our entire team is infected with a softness that gives other sides an edge. They know we are soft and that they can force him over the line. Some of his mates are nearly as bad but he dead set didn't attempt tackles on some of those tries.

Sure he set up 1 try. Some of his kick returns are marginally better.

But if we keep picking him we will continue to be a laughing stock both defensively, and in terms of our mental toughness.

Equally, Hayne's attitude and form do not justify him being given any sort of reward or promotion.

Reddy should be starting fullback immediately. he is the form player with Moi Moi Grothe and Hindmarsh. He is playing out of position.

The outside backs should line up as:

1. Reddy
2. Hayne
3. Inu
4. Smith
5. Grothe

Both Smith and Inu would be extremely lucky to continue to be picked on current form and on final notice.

How can you justify sticking with inu when you are critising others like burt who have done far more than him this season

Bigfella

Coach
How can you justify sticking with inu when you are critising others like burt who have done far more than him this season

Largely because unlike Burt, there are not two better options for Inu's position.

Also because like Burt, Inu has shown glimpses of ability. Unlike Burt, the mistakes Inu is making don't completely undermine team confidence (like the missed tackle against the Warriors, a handful of bombs not attempted to be caught, and a series of armgrabs at fullback including the dogging of attempting tackles close to the line.

Gladesveel

Juniors

inu has not had quality ball for 2 years maybe if he were to recieve the ball at pace and a little room to move he may have something to show but then again maybe not.Luke Burt is horrible his kick return surrenders to defence is a joke, in my opinion he has to go. I dont know what the answer is but anything has to be better than him at fullback.

Delboy

First Grade
If you want to see what the backs can do, then look at the Parra v Broncos game in 07 when we had some go forward and space.

Quality ball from T Smith and they were flying, afraid since Finch went to 7, they havent seen anything like that service, pity Tim went off the rails, what a good 7 and his defence was not worse than the majority of half backs , thanks to Raaaay it was contantly uinder scrutiny. Oh, and of course losing experienced forwards hasn't helped, the Dogs got over us with 2 props we punted 6 years ago, our captain couldn't get over them.

lol @ the likes of Gladesveel and bigfella.

Dumping Burt leaves us with no second man.

Who has shown they can play second man? HaHa?

That's right - Burt and ONLY Burt.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Wow that 2nd man play netted us a whole 6 points, and we only let in 48......... But yay we have Burt for that 2nd man play :?

Exactly. How many defensive lapses came from Hayne? How many others let Bulldogs through the line via laziness or lack of effort?

Tighten up our defense all we want - we will still need to score points. Our options in that department are quite limited atm - Mateo, KK and Burt - and we don't need to be cutting those options or we'll be losing 48-0.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Exactly. How many defensive lapses came from Hayne? How many others let Bulldogs through the line via laziness or lack of effort?

Tighten up our defense all we want - we will still need to score points. Our options in that department are quite limited atm - Mateo, KK and Burt - and we don't need to be cutting those options or we'll be losing 48-0.
We were soft all over the park in defence, no point singling out one bloke. I don't think Burt should be fullback but he has to be in the 17 somewhere. He is one of our few options in attack. We have to get him into an attacking role and hide him somewhere in defence.