What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy a 5/8

Ben

Bench
Should be buy a five-eighth or buy a half though? I think Mullen's position is five-eight and a half is what we need.

Yosh

Coach
Buy a half, and Clinton shouldnt be one of our top targets. He is past his best. Kite is where we should spill our money and Monaghan as well. Tim Smith is also a target if you ask me. Ryles if he is only on 300k or less. If he is asking for 400k a year, I would give it to him if he garenteed the club that he would play in more then 22 matches a year and if he couldnt, either through injury or suspension, then he will pay the club back double.

cram

Bench
I think we will see some suprise signings this year. The fact Smith and the club are not rushing to sign some of our off contract players makes me think we are more active in the market then we are led to believe.

Alex28

Coach
I'd say halfback rather than five-eighth. A quality back should come first though (unless we can turn Patterson into a Centre) and a quality forward after that (depending on Perry).

NZ Warrior

First Grade
If you need a 5/8, you need Jerome Ropati. He's going cheap, and when I say cheap, I mean FREE!!!

I'll deliver him personally, in a hesian sack with duck tape over his mouth before we play you guys on Saturday.

macavity

Referee
Dobson supported the Knights as a kid.

but I dont think we will see him here somehow - seems the raiders guys have some sort of kissing-cousin pact going on.

Big Tim

First Grade
Clinton is a hack.... cant even get in the starting side out at Penriff.

A back would be good, but I am a big fan of Monaghan. He knows how to win, and he would compliment Mullo's game.... but only if we get him now.

Otherwise I see either Walsh or Dureau getting the 7. Scott is doing a great job leading the PL boys around.

We dont need a 5/8.... we have one. He wears the 7 jersey.

Nuffy

Bench
Mullen will be wasted at 5/8, the defensive workload will limit his career.

2 small guys in the halves is a risk, why do you think coaches are opting for backrowers, theres a lot of traffic sent the way of a 5/8 nowdays.

I believe that Joey suffered from the amount of defensive work he got through during his career, I don't want Mullen suffering the same.

Plus hes the best football brain in the club with the skills to match, put him in the most critical position in a team.................halfback.

Just a thought, if theres a 6 ft 90+kg 5/8 in the lower grades then groom him for the position if not we need to buy one. Not sure of the size of Travis Burns but he does look the goods.

Big Tim

First Grade
Halfback was never the most crucial spot in any team..... Until Joey. He glorified the job, cos he did both.

Many other teams rely on their 6.

Put Mullo in either jersey, just play him at second receiver.

perverse

Referee
indeed.. lockyer is doing a fine job at running a team from #6... it doesn't have to be a halfback.. we're just stuck in that mentality because of joey.

although locky has been playing a LOT of first receiver lately anyway due to the fact that brisbane have no genuine 1/2 either.

Nuffy

Bench
If thats the case then why is the accepted thinking that you can't win the comp without a great halfback, its the only position thats spoken about in those terms?

Big Tim

First Grade
Lockyer is his teams half (the way we look at it) Many Brisbane fans may have looked at Joey as our 5/8.

Either way, ideally you would have one player playing first receiver that is very vocal and gets everyone where they should be, and the other 2 passes wide putting those players through gaps and taking the line on.

As I said, Joey did all this. Mullo is better suited to the second job than the first. He is wasted shovelling the ball to any other current first grader we have playing 5/8.

What jersey they wear, and the name of the position is irrelevant.

RABK

Referee
Because that's just a bullsh*t term. The last team to win the comp with a great halfback at the helm was the Tigers in 2005. Before that it was us in 2001.

I wouldn't call Craig Wing, Craig Gower, Brent Sherwin or Shane Perry great halfbacks. Good ones, but not great. Except Perry - he's junk.

Big Tim

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:
Because that's just a bullsh*t term. The last team to win the comp with a great halfback at the helm was the Tigers in 2005. Before that it was us in 2001.

I'd wouldn't call Craig Wing, Craig Gower, Brent Sherwin or Shane Perry great halfbacks. Good ones, but not great. Except Perry - he's junk.

Those 4 players served as a link between the hooker and the 5/8.

Or if you wanna take the position names out..... the dummy half and the SECOND receiver.

I will say it again, what number they wear, and official position name is irrelevant.

Latest posts