What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye Ackers..

ozbash

Referee
Junior Warriors coach John Ackland is set to leave the club at the end of this season.
Ackland has been at the Warriors since 2006 in a variety of coaching roles and guided the under-20 team to back-to-back premierships in 2010 and 2011. Those wins represented the first grand final successes for the Auckland NRL franchise.
Ackland's team finished second in the minor premiership last year but lost successive playoff matches.
Before last night's match in Penrith, they were fifth on the Holden Cup ladder.
But, as reported by the Weekend Herald last month, the relationship between Ackland and new Warriors head coach Matt Elliott has been strained.
While nothing has been settled officially, it is unlikely Ackland will be in his post for next year's Holden Cup. Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah was reluctant to comment on an "employment matter", emphasising that the current focus was on this season.
"John is at the club, doing his job and the team has been going well," Scurrah told the Herald on Sunday.
"Every year, there are changes at the club and ultimately, whatever is in place for 2014 will be resolved before the end of this year.
"Right now, our focus is just on the next game."
It seems Ackland and Elliott have disagreed on a variety of issues, mainly around training schedules for the Junior players and the promotion of Ackland's players into the Vulcans.
The Holden Cup presents an interesting challenge. Ackland is charged with producing a title-challenging team every year and the expectation on the Junior Warriors is extremely high, given their previous success and the surfeit of talent at youth level in New Zealand. But Ackland is also expected to produce and develop players for first grade, and the juggling act is a delicate one.
While Ackland has had some detractors over the years - some feel his junior teams play an overly simple brand of football that doesn't always translate well to the NRL - his credentials are impressive.
A sizeable core of the current NRL squad came through the ranks under Ackland in 2010 and 2011, including Shaun Johnson, Elijah Taylor, Konrad Hurell and Ben Henry.
He is also a renowned scout - "nobody has a better knowledge and understanding of the Auckland league scene", was the verdict of one prominent NRL coach.
Before he was employed by the Warriors, he worked as a scout for the Bulldogs, sending schoolboys such as Roy Asotasi, Hutch Maiava and Sonny Bill Williams across the Tasman to NRL careers.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10884592

Diesel

Referee
yea, my Sunday just got worse reading that...

I've been waiting on your report of last night.

With John leaving it shows what a mess this club really is at the moment, management need to have a good look at themselves now.

Loyal... My ass they are

Skinner

Coach
Acks is too much of a straight shooter for those arse clowns. Good onya John, you've done a bloody great job - they'll struggle even more now. See you at Penrith mate.

LeagueNut

First Grade
While Ackland has had some detractors over the years - some feel his junior teams play an overly simple brand of football that doesn't always translate well to the NRL - his credentials are impressive.
This seems like a very relevant point to me and it's sort of being proven by current results.

ozbash

Referee
Ackers does an incredible job. He gets handed kids, some with little or no league experience , and molds them into a team of champions and nurtures some of the individuals to be able to recognise their own potential. Which is a huge achievement in itself.

What happens when they leave U20's is up to their next coach, isn't it ?

He's already done the groundwork...

SilentOne

Juniors
This seems like a very relevant point to me and it's sort of being proven by current results.

Agreed.

The U20 graduates seem to lack mental toughness and the style that the warriors 20s play in my opinion is the cause of it. If losing Ackers means we can instill some toughness in these kids then Im all for it

LeagueNut

First Grade
He's already done the groundwork...
That's the point though - the groundwork for what?

If he's doing the groundwork for these kids to win U20s titles against other U20s players then good on him, but it's not really what we need in the long run.

We need the groundwork for these kids to have long and successful NRL careers, and that's clearly not happening at the moment.

ozbash

Referee
true, but he can only do what he can do while they are with him.

His coaching record speaks for itself, he is a very good, if not the best, coach in the Toyota/Holden Cup comps.

I really don't understand how people can blame him for not coaching 'mental toughness' (whatever that is ) into these kids.

He teaches them to play winning league and that seems to stop when they leave..

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
So he and Elliott don't get along. What happens when Ackland leaves and then Elliott is sacked?

This is the problem when you get into a coaching merry go round that we're currently on. One coach rates players or gets along with players that another doesn't, the broom gets put through the place, but then a season later a new coach comes in and guess what happens?

SilentOne

Juniors
true, but he can only do what he can do while they are with him.

His coaching record speaks for itself, he is a very good, if not the best, coach in the Toyota/Holden Cup comps.

I really don't understand how people can blame him for not coaching 'mental toughness' (whatever that is ) into these kids.

He teaches them to play winning league and that seems to stop when they leave..

Playing rugby league isn't all about winning. How about attitude?, and commitment to compete 100%. Playing league isn't all about brute strength and flashy brilliance. Being Mentally tough is just as important to league as being physically strong. How else are they supposed to compete at FG level without a lot of those key attributes?

As far as I'm concerned that should start at the 20's level.

Skinner

Coach
Playing rugby league isn't all about winning. How about attitude?, and commitment to compete 100%. Playing league isn't all about brute strength and flashy brilliance. Being Mentally tough is just as important to league as being physically strong. How else are they supposed to compete at FG level without a lot of those key attributes?

As far as I'm concerned that should start at the 20's level.

Mate, we are talking about 17 and 18 year old kids here. Those attitudinal skills come much later, not at that level.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
so our only succesful componant of the club so to speak is set to leave,
1st class management we have

Mate,

Best thing they can do for the club.
He is a dinosaur.

And everybody thinks this bloke makes these players is kidding.
He gets handed them - it is clear he can coach.

He clearly makes selfish, short-sighted decisions to win football games the easiest way possible.

We need a 20s coach who makes the best decisions in relation to the club - not to take shortcuts.

It might seem not very important, but this is the most important step to improve the development of our players, their mentality and overall the way we go in NRL.