What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye Ackers..

Skinner

Coach
What is Stacy's coaching experiance other than Pt Chev?

To the best of my knowledge, that is the limit of it, but, I would imagine, as he worked for coaching and development at Auckland Rugby League, he has the relevant coaching levels etc. Not quite the same as the hands on experience required though.

Mind you, Whizz Freeman went from Jersey Flegg to the Kiwis - and we all know what happened there.....

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
My theory, based on media snippets and listening to ME himself in Wellington a few weeks back, is that ME does not believe the 20's comp is suitable for preparing a player for 1st grade.

Bluey did, recruited a lot of guys straight into 1st grade from the under 20's and they flopped.

ME is getting current under 20's to play for the Vulcans to toughen them up, rather than the 20's. That might make John Ackland a little dark on Elliot. Take away a few of his stars and also downplay the importance of the 20's.

I think the 20's is important, but the 1st grade is heaps more important. ME is about a club system rather than 2 or 3 teams having a system.

Hard to know how good a coach Stacey will be.But thats where you start isn't it? Assistent coach Henry coached the Vulcans.

20's is used to identify those who are too good for that grade. Vulcans is used to prepare them for first grade.

Havili is a perfect example. What more is he going to learn in U20's? All he really did was run and bulldoze smaller players. Now hopefully he's developing more of his game in a competition that doesn't allow that sort of thing week in and week out.

Not sold on Jones as a coach. The best players often don't make the best coaches.

jaseg

Juniors
ozbash; I'm guessing that means Slaimankhel, Tuimavave, Ikahihifo & Sam Lousi - none of whom (looking at it retrospectively) were ready for first grade. Hurrell (for his defence and handling) could be argued to be in there as well, but personally I wouldn't put him in.

Iafeta

Referee
The only thing I would conclude from that article on Bell in terms of a bigger role is recruiting for the NYC team. Obviously Ackland was exceptional at spotting talent, and had a very extensive network of people constantly giving him the good dirt. My understanding is Bell has been heavily involved over the past 18 months anyway in recruiting NYC players. I wouldn't be surprised if the expanse in his role is around that, and also ensuring the local comp clubs have a voice into the Warriors.

On Ackers, I dare say it has been fairly well established his fall out comes because Elliott wants to 'control' the structure of the club. Ultimately its his butt if the Warriors don't perform, so he has every right IMO to get the lower structures feeding correctly into top grade. Ackers obviously saw his role a little more ambitiously, make sure the club wins comps etc in whatever grade. In that sense I'd back Elliott.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I think a lot of people are forgetting that it was Ackland that signed a lot of these kids.
If he goes back to scouting for other clubs we may lose some of the best.

The idea is fictous and everybody keeps going on about him scouting SBW. .. . blah blah

Ackland was responsible in recruiting/scouting none of the 20s and has had very little
I have seen him at Fox footy but generally just watching those players in his squad.

The Warriors have been great in scouting/recruiting the best junior talent in the past.
Originally that would of been Tony Iro and then mainly Dean Bell & Ricky Henry.

The funny thing is these are the people forumers love to bag, yet applaud ackland lol
Ackland job was to coach these players ....that was it.

He has a long history with the Warriors and local league and a good record.
But the reality is he has passed it... I have heard from local fox player he is a bit of a dinosaur and kooky.

Warriors better watch out the for the Mt Albert Mafia....people from the club thing they run the game aka the be all end all.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Dear God, jobs for the boys.......I have a lot of time for Stacey but, buga me.

Being a league fan I understand the sentiment 'job for the boys'. I dont think it applies in this instance.

In all seriousness who is Stacey Jones 'boys with' in the current warriors setup.
Barely played with Bell, didnt deal to much with Scurrah and certainly hadnt had anything to do with elliot.

Elliot and his NRL staff would of been the deciding parties who they want to coach the NYC.

They are obviously creating a club-wide structure.

This is has long been one of my recommendation and hopes for the club.
Being a local league fan/supporter for me it has been clear for some time.
Hence, my keenes to see Ackland move on to somewhere else or another role.

I have said it doesnt really matter who coaches the NYC staff, they just need and have a good relationship and buy-in to what the NRL coach is doing.

Obviously Elliot has worked with jones and see him as suitable. Thats good enough for me.

Obviously he had some experience coaching the pirates - and he has had a great long career. He seems pretty humble guy, so hopefully he does a good job and make these kids better players and people.

As for jobs for the boys....that would be when Auckland Rugby League source some dodgy funding or spend more of the clubs Carlaw park money and create some role for Ackland.

ozbash

Referee
As for jobs for the boys....that would be when Auckland Rugby League source some dodgy funding or spend more of the clubs Carlaw park money and create some role for Ackland.

yes, that would be terrible.

That would mean the ARL might recognise Ackers as a coaching/developmental talent and not let him go..

shame on them.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
yes, that would be terrible.

That would mean the ARL might recognise Ackers as a coaching/developmental talent and not let him go..

shame on them.

Yeah that would really be wise use of the clubs Carlaw park money - to create a role for him purely because he is part of the old boys network and then think of some use as an after thought.

Funny that you would bag stacey... as job for the boys.

But would approve a similar appointment which make far more less sense and would reek of 'jobs for boys that much more'.

Double standards - as usual :D