What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye Ackers..

ozbash

Referee
Like it or not, Ackland is the best RL coach we have in the country..

you can get as personal as you want, but you cant dispute facts..

vvvrulz

Coach

Not saying its incorrect, but how is that a fact in any way?
Its purely subjective.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors

I only seen the bloke at Fowlds park, your probably mates with him fair enough.
Your the one being personal, I was using purely attacking his coaching (but more so his develpmental flaws).

Some of those a quite obvious imo - club over one team.

Some of which is a common held opinion in local league and other which I can clearly come to my own conclusion simply by tracking the 20s and local league - quite closely.

We will just have to wait until the end of the season if/or when he gets flicked and the reasoning why?

ozbash

Referee
We will just have to wait until the end of the season if/or when he gets flicked and the reasoning why?

fair enough mmm, but I sincerely hope a couple of people are shown the door before Ackers and sanity returns to Beasley Ave.

Aragorn

First Grade
I only seen the bloke at Fowlds park, your probably mates with him fair enough.
Your the one being personal, I was using purely attacking his coaching (but more so his develpmental flaws).

Some of those a quite obvious imo - club over one team.

Some of which is a common held opinion in local league and other which I can clearly come to my own conclusion simply by tracking the 20s and local league - quite closely.

I enjoy your posts m.m.m.

insightful.

Izz

Bench
Ackland officially stepping down

Junior Warriors coach John Ackland has advised the club he will not be seeking an extension of his contract for the 2014 season and beyond.

Ackland has been in the role since 2010 after a term as NRL assistant coach from 2006-2009.

He coached the Vodafone Junior Warriors to reach the NYC finals in 2010, 2011 and 2012, including winning the Toyota Cup premiership in both 2010 and 2011.

Ackland, who was part of the club's foundation coaching staff in 1995, returned to the Vodafone Warriors in 2004.

"John has confirmed his intention to move on at the end of the 2013 season," said Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah.

"We respect his decision and wish him well for the future. John has made a significant contribution to the club and will continue to do so through to the end of this season. We will all be doing our utmost to support him in finishing his tenure in the best possible way as our NYC coach."

After receiving Ackland's advice, Scurrah said the club immediately began the process to appoint the new Vodafone Junior Warriors coach and anticipates an announcement soon.

"When Matt Elliott was appointed (as head coach) last October he had some definite ideas on how we could further improve our overall recruitment and development structure," he said.

"Matt and (general manager football) Dean Bell are reviewing the current structure and future plans. As well as announcing the new NYC coach we will also be in a position to reveal details of this in the near future."

Scurrah added it was crucial the Warriors continued to recruit the best talent available and to also further improve how the club develops young players into NRL professionals.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10889772

Last edited:

ozbash

Referee
Warriors legend Stacey Jones is in line to replace John Ackland as coach of the Under-20 team next year.
The club announced yesterday that Ackland was stepping down from the role he has held since 2010.
Ackland declined to make any comments on this yesterday, but Fairfax Media understands it's an acrimonious split and while he didn't want to continue to work under Warriors' NRL coach Matt Elliott, the club didn't want to keep him on either.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8782846/Little-General-set-to-take-over-Junior-Warriors

Skinner

Coach
Warriors legend Stacey Jones is in line to replace John Ackland as coach of the Under-20 team next year.
The club announced yesterday that Ackland was stepping down from the role he has held since 2010.
Ackland declined to make any comments on this yesterday, but Fairfax Media understands it's an acrimonious split and while he didn't want to continue to work under Warriors' NRL coach Matt Elliott, the club didn't want to keep him on either.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8782846/Little-General-set-to-take-over-Junior-Warriors

Dear God, jobs for the boys.......I have a lot of time for Stacey but, buga me.

Rich102

Staff member
I think a lot of people are forgetting that it was Ackland that signed a lot of these kids.
If he goes back to scouting for other clubs we may lose some of the best.

Izz

Bench

Here's the bit that worried me most from that article:

The Warriors will announce a restructuring of their recruitment and development systems which will entail general manager of football, Dean Bell, being given a bigger role.

ozenzud

Juniors
My theory, based on media snippets and listening to ME himself in Wellington a few weeks back, is that ME does not believe the 20's comp is suitable for preparing a player for 1st grade.

Bluey did, recruited a lot of guys straight into 1st grade from the under 20's and they flopped.

ME is getting current under 20's to play for the Vulcans to toughen them up, rather than the 20's. That might make John Ackland a little dark on Elliot. Take away a few of his stars and also downplay the importance of the 20's.

I think the 20's is important, but the 1st grade is heaps more important. ME is about a club system rather than 2 or 3 teams having a system.

Hard to know how good a coach Stacey will be.But thats where you start isn't it? Assistent coach Henry coached the Vulcans.