What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye Ackers..

ozbash

Referee
He clearly makes selfish, short-sighted decisions to win football games the easiest way possible.

We need a 20s coach who makes the best decisions in relation to the club - not to take shortcuts.

Hang on MMM, isn't that his job, to win games ?

I would have thought Ackers successes on the field were exactly what the club needed, both now and for the future..

Did his dog shit on your lawn ?

Micistm

Bench
Damn. All I know is the wrong people keep leaving...The ones you want to leave just hang like a fart in an elevator

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Damn. All I know is the wrong people keep leaving...The ones you want to leave just hang like a fart in an elevator

Like I said .. he is the right person to be leaving.
Anybody of understanding or can read between the line will realise that.

Do you not think the Glenn etc would of signed off this potential culling with out evidence and reasoning why

Remember when there was that article about Mara not taking the advice from elliot. I can only imagine this is the same - this year it looks like they have changed their philosphy regarding development.

Taken some of his power away - I.e promote havili & laumape.

The Under 20s coach position in most organisation is less important in many systems. That junior recruitment or development person should have the say.

They are the ones shaping these player to the benefit of the club and helping their transition.

The under 20 coach - should just coach the bloke he gets and follow the same song sheet to what the club are trying to do.

Look at the tigers they won with Todd Payten coaching last year - first time rookie coach and whilst they are doing crap they have juniors coming through.

Look at the raiders - they;re 20s coach won the comp, coached the Junior Kangaroos and stepped back to take the mantle of recuitment/development.

People think Ackland make these kids ...are kidding themselves.
He isnt even involved in scouting them or signing them or getting them ready for 20s.

Which he always get quoted in doing so.
He gets them handed to them.

Who should replace him - doesnt really matter if you set the right systems up.
It should just be a fundamentally sound coach - someone enthusiastic and buys in to the whole system

Young up and comer.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member

Do you not think the Glenn etc would of signed off this potential culling with out evidence and reasoning why

Remember when there was that article about Mara not taking the advice from elliot. I can only imagine this is the same - this year it looks like they have changed their philosphy regarding development.

Taken some of his power away - I.e promote havili & laumape.

The Under 20s coach position in most organisation is less important in many systems. That junior recruitment or development person should have the say.

They are the ones shaping these player to the benefit of the club and helping their transition.

The under 20 coach - should just coach the bloke he gets and follow the same song sheet to what the club are trying to do.

Look at the tigers they won with Todd Payten coaching last year - first time rookie coach and whilst they are doing crap they have juniors coming through.

Look at the raiders - they;re 20s coach won the comp, coached the Junior Kangaroos and stepped back to take the mantle of recuitment/development.

He isnt even involved in scouting them or signing them or getting them ready for 20s.

Which he always get quoted in doing so.
He gets them handed to them.

It should just be a fundamentally sound coach - someone enthusiastic and buys in to the whole system

Young up and comer.

This convinces me it is the wrong thing to do.

ozbash

Referee
why, because he adopts a winning mentality ?

Glenn wouldn't know his arse from his elbow. Glenn's info would be coming from league infobot, Scurrah.

absolute bullshit.
Who develops them ? The coach.
Who recruits them _ Its certainly not Dean Bell. Most 'recruitment is word of mouth through schools/clubs. You watch the quality rise with the advent of College league.

he is, it works, the crap starts when the player/s get shunted to NRL. Something the U20's coach has no say in. Ackers should tell ME to get stuffed, Ackers should be working closely with Willie Swann and the Vulcans.

who does then ? you have run a complete circle. Of course the coach makes the kids. Ask the kids, they'll tell you who has the biggest influence on their careers ..

lol,,, full circle.

jaseg

Juniors
Ackland should have a role at the Warriors - just not his current one. Seems to me that he's a great scout posing as a coach right now. Perhaps he should just focus on the scouting side of things and let someone else handle the development side.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Ackland should have a role at the Warriors - just not his current one. Seems to me that he's a great scout posing as a coach right now. Perhaps he should just focus on the scouting side of things and let someone else handle the development side.

Why? who from the warriors has he actually scouted.
All it is throw away lines mentioned - because his claim to fame is scouting Sonny Bill Williams.

News flash - warriors already sign up the best players.
From all reports he doesnt actually do any of the scouting.

Ricky Henry did all that and was the development coach. He trained up the youngsters who went into the NYC,

If he isnt seeing eye to eye with everybody else and not willing to make changes to the benefit of the club.

Just like they have to be ruthless with the players - likewise with Ackland.
Show him the door - now.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
why, because he adopts a winning mentality ?

Glenn wouldn't know his arse from his elbow. Glenn's info would be coming from league infobot, Scurrah.

absolute bullshit.
Who develops them ? The coach.
Who recruits them _ Its certainly not Dean Bell. Most 'recruitment is word of mouth through schools/clubs. You watch the quality rise with the advent of College league.

he is, it works, the crap starts when the player/s get shunted to NRL. Something the U20's coach has no say in. Ackers should tell ME to get stuffed, Ackers should be working closely with Willie Swann and the Vulcans.

who does then ? you have run a complete circle. Of course the coach makes the kids. Ask the kids, they'll tell you who has the biggest influence on their careers ..

Well if he develops them - he should be sacked

Carlos Tuimavave - spent three years in 20s and walked out the same 17 year old he walked in as. Only more musclier - only development with was regards to the trainer.

Still cant tackle - still unsure what position he is

comes from a longlist players - who should of developed in 20s/vulcans instead of delaying thier development.

Guys like Sam Lousi, Palavi had NRL potential and should of been ready to go in the NRL - but instead have taken time in Vulcans until they are even considered for selection.

As per working with the Vulcans - I assume the Vulcans are under the control of the NRL team and that Ackland aint seing eye to eye with any of them.

We all know ackland would love to have havili - who would save them in many games with his 2 pushover tries per gam

As for recruitment mate - the Warriors do a great job in signing the best young players. And as far as I was aware it was bell signing up all the kids too.

I used to watch quite alot of junior footy and see them out there.

Ackland purely coaches the team, control the NYC squad.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
As an outsider I'm a bit of both angles being argued on this one

Warriors 20s sides have been dominant more on the size of the players rather than the skill of the players. It isn't hard for the big Polynesian boys to get noticed and look good, because they have the raw strength and power advantage over most of the other sides, it doesn't always need good coaching to get them the win

As an example of that we have Hurrell, absolutely ridiculous stats in the 20s, he dominated them with sheer power. It was all well and good at that level, but after a week or 2 playing against men at the next level with that being the only dimension to his game, he was found out reasonably quickly.

Now is the part where Acklands 20s coaching comes into the equation, did he actually try and coach a bit of skill and nous into his game, or just leave him to run over blokes which worked fine at that level ?
Ultimately the 20s is about trying to prepare the talented players to take the next step, and that is an area the Warriors are behind some other clubs at the moment

ozbash

Referee
Guys like Sam Lousi, Palavi had NRL potential and should of been ready to go in the NRL - but instead have taken time in Vulcans until they are even considered for selection.

yea, well I think they learnt their lesson there about promoting the kids straight up to NRL, at least I hope they have.

when U20's first kicked off, the plan was to recognise and develop talent for the NRL(and beyond). It doesn't work and its a case of trying to run before you can walk.

That's not the fault of the U20's coach, if anything the NRL coach is the one to point the finger at.

Bell is in charge of recruitment, he signs the paperwork, that's all.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
As an outsider I'm a bit of both angles being argued on this one

Warriors 20s sides have been dominant more on the size of the players rather than the skill of the players. It isn't hard for the big Polynesian boys to get noticed and look good, because they have the raw strength and power advantage over most of the other sides, it doesn't always need good coaching to get them the win

As an example of that we have Hurrell, absolutely ridiculous stats in the 20s, he dominated them with sheer power. It was all well and good at that level, but after a week or 2 playing against men at the next level with that being the only dimension to his game, he was found out reasonably quickly.

Now is the part where Acklands 20s coaching comes into the equation, did he actually try and coach a bit of skill and nous into his game, or just leave him to run over blokes which worked fine at that level ?
Ultimately the 20s is about trying to prepare the talented players to take the next step, and that is an area the Warriors are behind some other clubs at the moment

Finally some sense,

Well this it seems the Warriors are trying to create these changes.
Look at Laumape & Havili are permanently with Vulcans instead of 20s.

I seen Lolohea & Sione Feao have played vulcans also.

Now if the friction is because Ackland is resistant to these changes.
then he needs to go - no questions

Laumape has been managed well imo - he will end up becoming a NRL player.
A reliable top quality NRL player.

A good model to inspire the other youngsters to push themselves etc

Rich102

Staff member
There shouldn't be tension between Ackland & ME. Bell is the football manager - he should tell Ackland what he requires not leave it to ME to tell Ackland.
Like Bell being the recruitment manager. Who worthwhile have we recruited lately?

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
There shouldn't be tension between Ackland & ME. Bell is the football manager - he should tell Ackland what he requires not leave it to ME to tell Ackland.
Like Bell being the recruitment manager. Who worthwhile have we recruited lately?

It is probably tension vs all other staff.

Ackland not listening outcome = Ackland getting the flick.

I cant blame them if that is thier stance, dont take crap from players or staff alike.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
speculation. unfounded speculation :cool:

thus the existence of this forum and understanding the warriors atm.

I wish the 20s all the best - definately some talent which will put thier handup next year.

Albert Vete + Faitala in teh forwards.

However Hukatai, Fusitua and Lolohea - need some time in Vulcans.
They have showed some great signs and got good accolades but havent kicked on enough for my liking.

Big fan of the tongan centre Kata - looks to have the x-factor and reading the match report even kicks goals

ozbash

Referee
Big fan of the tongan centre Kata - looks to have the x-factor and reading the match report even kicks goals

same, first year in league and looking good. another Konrad

He is a classic example of U20's - NSWRL - NRL