What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye Bye Kimmorley

Munky

Coach
I agree with Askatro.

Hindy was immense in 01 as a running forward. He looked like busting the line every time he ran with the ball.

He is wasted as a defence machine.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Last season Nathan Hindmarsh made 6 linebreaks in 21 games (pretty good), despite making 43 tackles per contest. He also managed to find the gas to do 16 hitups per contest and churn out 125 metres every game. There was 36 offloads, 4 try assists, and 5 tries - I don't think all the tackling made him less effective as a running forward!

He still looks pretty threatening every time he runs the ball out wide this year - he just does it a little less often because it seems that Coach Smith has some other attacking options! He's not just a defense machine (although he certainly is that)!

Red Bear

Referee
steaming stormer said:
Yeah right, no class in the backs... Slater = nothing? Bowen = nothing? Lockyer = nothing?

You are kidding yourself. Both sets of backs are very even, but QLD has better forwards... go you Maroons... clean sweep!!!
Minicehllo>Slater
King>Williams
Gasnier>Berrigan
Cooper>Bowmen
Rooney - Sing(even)
Anasta<Lockyer
Barrett>Thurston

NEXT!

theVodkaCircle

Juniors
When did you have the sex change Misty ?
You better get that beard of yours lasered off permanently. :D

back on topic, it looks fairly similar in the forwards and I reckon you've lost a bit in the halves. Also, I dont think QLD will want to leak points like they did in game 1 so they will be getting a hammering in defence training.

Go the clean sweep !!

God-King Dean

Immortal
Not happy, Anasta & Barrett are similar players. Both need a halfback to accomodate them & run general play

If Menzies was to come itno the side it should be in place of Simpson, not Watmough

Bazal

Post Whore
Azkatro said:
The NSW selectors have really just lost the plot this year. I said a while back that NSW would miss O'Meley more than we'd miss Webcke, looks like I was right. I'm really starting to get sick of players that wear themselves out on the field and make themselves a liability on two feet in defense rewarded for playing like that. Don't get me wrong, I think Fitzgibbon and Hindmarsh are great athletes and second rowers, but I f**king hate the way they play. I might be speaking as an amateur by comparison but if one of my second rowers couldn't mark up because he was on his haunches dry wretching after 25 minutes because he's completely overdone it, I'd be absolutely furious. Those two don't give a f**k about the teams they play for and only care about getting good numbers in the stats boxes every week.

genius. So if Hindmarsh offers nothing in attack, why was he (from memory) the only NSW forward to break the line in game one, and why did he set up Minichiello for a bust that lead to a try? And as for him "being on his haunches dry retching"....he then got up and made three more tackles in the set before coming off!! Fitzgibbon is defensive player, true, but that's the role he's always played, and he's a gun goalkicker. Neither ever shirk their responsibilities in attack, and both are two of the hardest men in the game to bring down, whether they've made one or thirty one tackles. Pull your finger out of your arse and stop being a complete moron. Hindmarsh is the best second rower in the game, Fitzy's not far behind.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Those members offering year long avatar bets that Andrew Johns will be the difference in game 2 can now get off their soapbox and wait for game 3 :lol:

I would of welcomed an underdone Andrew Johns to game 2, though selectors made the right decision (well half right) and steered away from the former rep star who remains winless in 2005.

IMO, Brett Kimmorley was deserving of the chance to redeem himself as Jason Ryles has been afforded.

Good luck NSW fans.

Azkatro

First Grade
Well I got called a prize dickhead and a genius for my comments, but it looks like Craig Fitzgibbon agrees with me :lol: :lol:

Fitzgibbon wants more efficiency

8 June 2005

Having racked up a phenomenal 59 tackles in Origin I, workaholic NSW second rower Craig Fitzgibbon is craving quality rather than quantity in Wednesday night's rematch at Telstra Stadium.

Fitzgibbon says he needs to be more effective in what he does in Origin II, with his presence out on the field vital for the Blues for his goalkicking as much as his general play.

The Sydney Roosters veteran and backrow running mate Nathan Hindmarsh were forced to tackle to a standstill in game I due to Queensland's dominance of possession and field position.

But their extra work in defence left them with nothing in the tank for attack, and their running game faltered as a result.

"I probably want to cut them (the tackles) in half, just make them more effective," Fitzgibbon said.

"My main position in the team is to tie up the ruck area and shut the gate, do the little things and keep it safe around that area. But obviously we'd like a bit more ball just to halve that number.

"It certainly makes you less effective when you get the ball, just through fatigue. But in saying that I'm probably not going to go out there and break the line every time I get the ball.

"That's what Origin football is all about, you've got to learn to play under those circumstances, you just have to deal with it and if it comes about again we're just going to have to do it."

Hindmarsh, who was physically sick at halftime after completing 33 tackles in the opening 27 minutes in Brisbane, said there was no holding back once the whistle blew to start the game.

"I don't know if you can pace yourself in Origin footy," Hindmarsh said.

"I'd love to play 80 (minutes) but I've never played 80 in Origin footy before so I don't think it will happen.

"Just the way I'm playing at the moment, it's just go out there, do what I can in the time I get, and get put back on the bench. That's fine by me, as long as I'm out there making a contribution."

While Hindmarsh can expect a breather on Wednesday night, the lack of a recognised back-up goalkicker means Fitzgibbon, who played all but nine minutes of the opening match, may be forced to stay out there for the long haul.

Centre Mark Gasnier and new pivot Braith Anasta are the only other players in the Blues squad who have kicked for goal in first grade before, but they are hardly what you would describe as genuine kickers.

Gasnier has made seven of 15 attempts for St George Illawarra, while Anasta has been successful with his only attempt in six seasons with the Bulldogs.

But Fitzgibbon dispelled the notion he'd be able to have a breather while still out on the field.

"There's no where to hide in Origin, especially not in the forward pack," Fitzgibbon said.

"Mark Gasnier can kick the ball all right, so if I have a rest I'm pretty sure he'll be able to take over."

The Blues camp was rocked today by news that assistant coach Laurie Daley had been hospitalised with pancreatitis.

Daley was taken to hospital early this morning after suffering acute stomach pain. He will remain there for the next few days but is hopeful of making a full recovery ahead of Wednesday night's clash.

Fitzgibbon (corked thigh) and Sydney Roosters teammate Craig Wing (calf) both missed today's morning training session, and were limited to light duties in the afternoon, but it is believed both will be right to go tomorrow.

The side will train in Sydney tomorrow before flying out to Dubbo in the evening, where they will stay until Friday afternoon.

Ghoulies

Bench
Bazal said:
Fitzgibbon is defensive player, true, but that's the role he's always played, and he's a gun goalkicker.

Did you catch his 2002 season? Not only was he superb defensively, but he was amazing in attack offering quality and quantity week-in, week-out. Only over the past 2 seasons he has become a pure defensive machine.

RABK

Referee
Fitzgibbon still offers alot in attack. He has amazing leg drive and seems to drag players 7 metres every run he makes.

avsterooster

Juniors
true that red and blue knight

anyway just wanted to mension to those of you who believed kimmorley was hard done by, jees he is having a shocker
i just watched him play against the tigers, absolutely ordinary
once again kicking game attrocious and his passing game is so readable these days the defense isnt even left guessing at all

prince played all over the top of him
kimmorley is on the way out

Azkatro

First Grade
Ricky Stuart must have read my comments. I'm not a told-you-so kind of guy normally, but when I get insulted for my thoughts and they turn out to be dead right I feel the need!

Vindicated ...

Azkatro

First Grade
And more. I can't help myself, but in this week's Big League, the Wok himself talks about the way Hindmarsh plays and why it's not as effective.

Warren Ryan said:
Hindmarsh sort of runs to the defensive line and finds himself engaged in crossfield wrestling matches rather than hitting holes and having defenders coming together trying to stop him. It's a waste of energy and strength and it's not using his attacking prowess to his potential.

While I'm quite happy to admit that arguing Fitz and Hindy are selfish players who don't care about their team was perhaps a little extreme, ever since I made the comments they've both been used differently by their coaches. Hindmarsh got some time on the bench in the game at Waikato I believe - when was the last time he did that at Parra?

All of this proves one thing, anyway.

I really need to stop posting in this thread and move on in life.

Latest posts