What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Call for NRL to trial players wearing gloves

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
No. Dell did it in the 90's or was it when he went to Rugby.

This is a game of attrition for f**k sake. A mans game in an ever softening world.

No gloves. They'd go the way of the torpedo pant pretty quickly.

In my mind, they should be nude with their kit painted on.

Keep it pure.

Diesel

Referee
No gloves and 6-8 interchanges maximum per game... It needed to go back to how it used to be, pre-Super League where you could have a fight in Origin and without follow over points

beave

Coach
Superleague tried it, i remember Cowboys legend Scott Mahon wore them during the 1997 season, didn't seem to make him any worse..............

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
They're used in Union aren't they? Don't think they're losing any skin in tackles.

Also, a better quality material for the ball would be great.

This is a game of attrition for f**k sake. A mans game in an ever softening world.

Keep it pure.

This guy knows where it's at

Fire

First Grade
Tim Moltzen says YES lol

Surprised at the amount of strong opposition to this, I'm not fussed either way. I guess good ball handling skills should be rewarded, so I probably lean towards no.

Anyways, mad respect to Massey, the guy is as old as time itself, but doesn't limit his thinking like most old timers (i.e., Tommy Raudonikis et al) to "back in my day blah blah blah". Good to see he moves with the times and keeps an open mind, even if a little misguided in this instance.

Canard

Immortal

Keep it pure.

Reckon that posts over shares a bit to much.

Parra

Referee
Not fussed either way either.

Are the no-gloves crowd also opponents of the grip-creams that players use? Or the different types of boots that suit kicking or running or different studs/boots for different grounds?

Surely studs provide a mechanical advantage as well.

Lambretta

First Grade
I'd be happy if they wore boxing gloves - that way Origin stoushes would be far more real.

f**king swedge on ya radge merkin ye

Fire

First Grade

Keep it pure.

Missed this post Ronnie. Agreed.

But the fact remains that gloves look f**king stupid. I would hope that any player that did wear them would be laughed out of the game, especially after still dropping the ball.

user_nat

Coach
Not really fussed either way here.

Although anything that helps with those random games where no one can catch a ball would be nice.

The Joker

Juniors
Maybe just training drills to improve hand eye co-ordination would be better and less inbreeding for Canberra players

bluey

Bench
Gloves may be good if you are wearing helmets, without helmets you have a open face so a no from me.

Latest posts