What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Call for NRL to trial players wearing gloves

BunniesMan

Immortal
Another good idea the dinosaurs are against for no constructive reason.

I'm all for this. Would be good for the game.

100%green

Juniors
The ARLC blindly follow the NFL without any consideration for the differences between the two sports or without any rugby league specific research, so I fully expect this to be adopted ASAP.

One of the things this completely ignores about the two sports is that in the NFL players are required to catch and then hang onto a ball. That's it. In RL players have to catch and pass. What would this difference make to the science of it all.

Also, SL tried it in 1997. That should be enough evidence that it was a stupid American idea even then.

Do you read the crap you write before you post???

That has to be one of the stupidest posts I have ever seen on here.

In any case I am not fussed either way. Happy to give it a try. It may add to the sport. Also they sell the gloves for retail over there so always another retail product for the teams.

Canard

Immortal
Gloves aren't going to stop loose carries, players illegally stripping the ball, players having the ball jolted from there hands, dropping bombs, knocking on at dummy half or dropping a grubbered ball.

Unlike American football everyone on the field touches the ball and in many varied ways and means.

The impact on the game would be minimal.

hunters

Juniors
Another good idea the dinosaurs are against for no constructive reason.

I'm all for this. Would be good for the game.
Well the constructive reasoning from me is that we don't need to introduce artificial skill into our game. You should be good enough to catch it. A drop ball here and there often adds to the game rather than detract as it can add additional pressure and mixes the game up.

Big no from me. Teach the kids to catch and we can continue without.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Well the constructive reasoning from me is that we don't need to introduce artificial skill into our game. You should be good enough to catch it. A drop ball here and there often adds to the game rather than detract as it can add additional pressure and mixes the game up.

Big no from me. Teach the kids to catch and we can continue without.
By that logic why allow boots with studs. It's just introducing artificial skill and helping players balance when they should be using their own sense of balance.

Burwood

Bench
You'd have to think that players would be at greater risk of picking up particular injuries if their feet were slipping and sliding from underneath them all of the time.

Think there's a difference. Everybody needs studs especially in wet conditions, it's physically impossible to do well without them, for all players.
Whereas butterfingers are the ones that would benefit the most from gloves. It's not fair on players with good handling skills to artificially help the shit ones.

t-ba

Post Whore
It's not a terrible idea per se, but it would probably dramatically alter how the game is played.

For starters, why would anyone bother with a smaller winger if you can put a big fast giant there who can make big meters on kick returns and won't have many issues with catching a ball at the end of a back line movement, through which he can steamroll his way over the line? Imagine Manu with superb handling skills and that's probably the future of NRL wingers if gloves existed.

Players would probably have much less issues trying to get a hand on the ball in defence, as they'd have a good chance of actually keeping the ball in hand.

Improved catchability would cause all sorts of unforeseen knock-on effects that would alter the nature of the game and would have to be considered very carefully.

Parra

Referee
Think there's a difference. Everybody needs studs especially in wet conditions, it's physically impossible to do well without them, for all players.
Whereas butterfingers are the ones that would benefit the most from gloves. It's not fair on players with good handling skills to artificially help the shit ones.

Take the studs away and some sure footed/light footed players would really stand out.

Slipping would save plenty of knee injuries and reduce the impact as players brace themselves. Probably cause a few as well. Point being, studs are not a safety item - and in that regard can be used in a discussion regarding gloves.

Mouthguards, headgear etc are different - in RL these are strictly safety items.

t-ba

Post Whore
Those padded Sumo Suits that almost killed Fatty should seriously be considered imo...

kdalymc

Bench
Haven't read thread but let me know if alrwady said, gloves were prevalent in 97, I remember dad laughing at Julian oniel and a few reds players wearing gloves

seanoff

Juniors
wouldn't be totally shocked if the NFL outlawed them for "competitive balance"

for NRL or AFL, please no. i want to see the players skill not how good nike are at making sticky gloves

betcats

Referee
It's not a terrible idea per se, but it would probably dramatically alter how the game is played.

For starters, why would anyone bother with a smaller winger if you can put a big fast giant there who can make big meters on kick returns and won't have many issues with catching a ball at the end of a back line movement, through which he can steamroll his way over the line? Imagine Manu with superb handling skills and that's probably the future of NRL wingers if gloves existed.

Players would probably have much less issues trying to get a hand on the ball in defence, as they'd have a good chance of actually keeping the ball in hand.

Improved catchability would cause all sorts of unforeseen knock-on effects that would alter the nature of the game and would have to be considered very carefully.

Are u saying gloves would nullify Ben Barba?

kmav23

Juniors
They should only allowed to wear dish washing gloves
spongegloves.jpg

Parra

Referee
wouldn't be totally shocked if the NFL outlawed them for "competitive balance"

for NRL or AFL, please no. i want to see the players skill not how good nike are at making sticky gloves

But you don't mind mowing the playing field, or marking lines and having posts? Or wearing footy boots?

magpie_man

Juniors
i can't see the harm in it, especially if it improves ball-handling.
bloke i used to play with would always try and sneak onto the field wearing gloves, got away with it most of the time too.

magpie_man

Juniors

good post but I can't see it improving catching (and, by extension, the nature of the game) as drastically as you envision.