What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Mcinnes

BLM01

First Grade
Heres an example and he has been outspoken on his tv/radio media roles.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...nals-paul-mcgregor/18itudt0kfjig10k88s3yopg7m

Good point regarding JDB but are going to use it for anyone? Players are willing to jump ship but we can't seem to get them even on decent coin.
Can’t open this link but was this article before he was employed by the club is my only concern if he’s made comments since his employment then I’m a bit more concerned
I heard a lot of his negative comments on the club prior to him being employed and then 99% of what he said was pretty much fact and spot on

Drakon

Juniors
Can’t open this link but was this article before he was employed by the club is my only concern if he’s made comments since his employment then I’m a bit more concerned
I heard a lot of his negative comments on the club prior to him being employed and then 99% of what he said was pretty much fact and spot on
Here is the article but it's only the beginning of the article, the rest behind a paywall. It was an article from 4 Jul 2019 Hope this helps.

Search in Google on-
St George Illawarra Dragons legend Jamie Soward launches scathing attack on former club

Edited to correct date

Last edited:
I do too; often too much of a ‘mutual admiration society’ in the commentary media etc. In saying that, bias still has to be considered and just because they are ex-players doesn’t mean we have to agree with everything they say. Plenty of ex-players are dirty on their former clubs for a range of reasons. If they support their line of argument, fine, yet, often feel that support can be flaky at best!

Over at the Tigers, criticising the club once you’ve been boned or whatever in the press is a rite of passage. All it manages to do is create ill will.

I think most of it is driven by an agenda or a journo wants a story to help advertise and move product.

Sometimes it seems fair such as Sowie asking questions about sgi in the Mary days.

I remember Dell wasn’t especially impressed with the Fail Mary guys, despite the club imploding. He was a long way off the pace.

I can’t find any media update of Tristan’s legal matter. That will run its course I guess.

Drakon

Juniors
Over at the Tigers, criticising the club once you’ve been boned or whatever in the press is a rite of passage. All it manages to do is create ill will.

I think most of it is driven by an agenda or a journo wants a story to help advertise and move product.

Sometimes it seems fair such as Sowie asking questions about sgi in the Mary days.

I remember Dell wasn’t especially impressed with the Fail Mary guys, despite the club imploding. He was a long way off the pace.

I can’t find any media update of Tristan’s legal matter. That will run its course I guess.
Last I heard it was set for sometime in January but can't find anything else.

Drakon

Juniors
Seems a bit early to me.
Article says January 28 so the court case it could even be in progress.
The stories seem so profoundly at odds, surely there is a way to the truth, whatever it is.

Ex-NRL player back in court on sex charge
National
r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Out-of-contract NRL player Tristan Sailor arrived at court with his father Wendell Sailor.

Out-of-contract NRL player Tristan Sailor, who is facing a charge of aggravated sexual assault, has had his bail extended and varied when he briefly faced a Sydney court.

The 22-year-old former St George Illawarra player arrived at Sutherland Local Court on Thursday with his famous father, former Wallabies and Kangaroos star Wendell Sailor.

Tristan Sailor was charged in October over an incident involving a 24-year-old woman.

Among bail conditions set during his five-minute hearing are that he abstain from alcohol and illegal drugs, not enter the south Sydney suburb of Wolli Creek, observe a night-time curfew, report three times a week to Wollongong Police Station and surrender his passport.

Sailor is scheduled to appear again in the Sutherland court on January 28.

In a statement after his arrest, police said they would allege in court that the woman sustained injuries when she was sexually assaulted at a home in Sydney's south.

The NRL stood down Sailor under their no-fault policy, before his contract with the Dragons officially ended on October 31.

It means even if he attracts the interest of another club, he won't be able to return to the field until his court case is complete.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.youngwitness.com.au/story/7039664/ex-nrl-player-back-in-court-on-sex-charge/

BLM01

First Grade
Here is the article but it's only the beginning of the article, the rest behind a paywall. It was an article from 4 Jul 2019 Hope this helps.

Search in Google on-
St George Illawarra Dragons legend Jamie Soward launches scathing attack on former club

Edited to correct date
Thx but as I thought very historical and not recently and I was scathing On the clubs performances around that time too :grin::thumbsup:

Ex-NRL player back in court on sex charge
National
r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Out-of-contract NRL player Tristan Sailor arrived at court with his father Wendell Sailor.

Out-of-contract NRL player Tristan Sailor, who is facing a charge of aggravated sexual assault, has had his bail extended and varied when he briefly faced a Sydney court.

The 22-year-old former St George Illawarra player arrived at Sutherland Local Court on Thursday with his famous father, former Wallabies and Kangaroos star Wendell Sailor.

Tristan Sailor was charged in October over an incident involving a 24-year-old woman.

Among bail conditions set during his five-minute hearing are that he abstain from alcohol and illegal drugs, not enter the south Sydney suburb of Wolli Creek, observe a night-time curfew, report three times a week to Wollongong Police Station and surrender his passport.

Sailor is scheduled to appear again in the Sutherland court on January 28.

In a statement after his arrest, police said they would allege in court that the woman sustained injuries when she was sexually assaulted at a home in Sydney's south.

The NRL stood down Sailor under their no-fault policy, before his contract with the Dragons officially ended on October 31.

It means even if he attracts the interest of another club, he won't be able to return to the field until his court case is complete.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.youngwitness.com.au/story/7039664/ex-nrl-player-back-in-court-on-sex-charge/

Thanks.

thebigredv

First Grade

No this is prior to Griffin. My point was to illustrate that passionate ex-players are voicing their concerns. I do not believe it to be in any way self-serving, just pure exasperation for watching the ongoings at our club. Others within the club, paid by the club, are of course going to give you nothing but scripted cliches which we've been coping for endless years.

As I said, from where I sit, I am not entirely convinced by what I am seeing and not seeing with regards to this club. e.g. you can't tell me there is not more to the whole cameron McInnes situation. I am not going to accept it. Not an attack on Griffin, as he seems very intelligent when it comes to league, but things within and beyond our control have really concerned me this offseason.

Following is from - https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-m...r-busted-by-deleted-social-media-photo_160221

MCINNES WAS SET FOR EARLY SHARKS SWAP
You've got to feel for poor Dragons utility forward Cameron McInnes, who suffered a season-ending knee injury just days after signing with Cronulla for 2022.

Ironically, I'm hearing that McInnes was set to move to the Sharks very soon in a player swap, with the Dragons deciding it was not in anyone's interests that their former captain remained at the club.

And the player who the Dragons were considering asking for in return?

The Sharks' Greek international Billy Magoulias - who like McInnes can play at both lock and hooker.

The swap is obviously off the table now - but don't be surprised to see the 24-year-old Magoulias running around in the Big Red V in 2022.

The Dragons yesterday signed Andrew McCullough - a favourite of new coach Anthony Griffin - for three years, but there may still be room for him and Magoulias in their roster.

getsmarty

Immortal

Cam McInnes' completely unsurprising reaction to ACL injury revealed

Written By Tom Naghten
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
NRL Imagery/Grant Trouville

Cam McInnes plays his footy in a no-frills manner and it seems he deals with season-ending injuries in a similar way.

The St George Illawarra captain ruptured his ACL at training last week, less than a fortnight after signing a four-year deal with rivals Cronulla from 2022.

Fans won't be surprised to hear of McInnes' poker face after the injury occurred.

Dragons centre Zac Lomax revealed how it happened and the 27-year-old's immediate reaction, or lack of.

"It was so unlucky. I was at dummy half, I'd just passed the ball to (Matt Dufty) and we were doing this little drill with three defenders and he was at A defender and he rushed up to tackle Duff and they almost clashed knees and he just sort of buckled a little bit," Lomax said on SEN.

"He didn't show any signs. He's the toughest person you've ever seen. He was just like 'my knee, I've done it'."

McInnes has since undergone surgery and will miss the entire 2021 season, his final campaign for the club.

It's a difficult way to go out for the man who has skippered the Dragons for the past two seasons, taking out their player of the year award in both.

Somewhat mitigating McInnes' loss in 2021 will be the presence of veteran hooker Andrew McCullough, who this week joined the club from Brisbane on a three-year deal.

Lomax said the 31-year-old has settled in well, thanks in part to his former Broncos teammate.

"He's been unreal, Macca. He's a legend," he said.

"Himself and Ben Hunt, they're two peas in a pod.

"They look like brothers, they sound the same, they move the same - two little kegs on legs.

"He's a legend and he's going to be unreal for our team."

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...e-illawarra-dragons/19bredsgcq0afzmnexs6vhjfy

getsmarty

Immortal
Why Anthony Griffin let Dragons captain walk to rival club
By Lachlan Geleit a day ago
Cameron_McInnes.jpg

St. George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has detailed why he let two-time player of the year and club captain Cameron McInnes leave for Cronulla.

Speaking on 1170 SEN Breakfast with Vossy, Griffin claimed the decision to let McInnes walk was a salary and list call.

“Well I think Cam said it all, it comes down to our list and salary cap,” Griffin said.

“Cam was really keen to secure his future, when I first got here when he was going to the market at the end of last year.

He went to the market and it served him really well.”

The 54-year-old told Voss that while it was disappointing to see his captain go, he feels McInnes made the right call for his future.

“He’s a champion and he’s always done a really great job for the club,” he added.

“There’s a lot of things that go into recruitment instead of just signing a player for a certain amount of money.

“I’m really happy for Cam, it’s terrible to see him go and sometimes things don’t go the way you want, especially for the fans.

“But he has set himself up for forty years in the future with the Sharks.”

The Dragons open up their 2021 campaign on Sunday, March 14 against Cronulla.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/02/18/why-anthony-griffin-let-dragons-captain-walk-to-rival-club/

Last edited:
Why Anthony Griffin let Dragons captain walk to rival club
By Lachlan Geleit a day ago
Cameron_McInnes.jpg

St. George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has detailed why he let two-time player of the year and club captain Cameron McInnes leave for Cronulla.

Speaking on 1170 SEN Breakfast with Vossy, Griffin claimed the decision to let McInnes walk was a salary and list call.

“Well I think Cam said it all, it comes down to our list and salary cap,” Griffin said.

“Cam was really keen to secure his future, when I first got here when he was going to the market at the end of last year.

“He went to the market and it served him really well.”

The 54-year-old told Voss that while it was disappointing to see his captain go, he feels McInnes made the right call for his future.

“He’s a champion and he’s always done a really great job for the club,” he added.

“There’s a lot of things that go into recruitment instead of just signing a player for a certain amount of money.

“I’m really happy for Cam, it’s terrible to see him go and sometimes things don’t go the way you want, especially for the fans.

“But he has set himself up for forty years in the future with the Sharks.”

The Dragons open up their 2021 campaign on Sunday, March 14 against Cronulla.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/02/18/why-anthony-griffin-let-dragons-captain-walk-to-rival-club/

Im 100% behind Hook this year but I don’t buy this argument from him.

The additional $ from the Sharks deal is not enough to set him up for six years let alone forty years and as I’ve said, the future estrangement from the dragons social should be factored in.

As a gold plated club legend, all kinds of career opportunities, friendships and respect could have been enjoyed over many decades.

To put a figure to it, say he gets an average wage for 35 year from his dragons associations, let’s be conservative and call it $70k, that’s about $2.5m ( without a pay rise)

And I dare say he’s done very well indeed from the dragons so far and is not struggling.

I think Hook is being a bit cheeky here, a bit of an ironic shot across his bows, but I’m afraid the ultimate responsibility for the short sightedness rests on Cam, his advisers and so forth. He will pay a dear price indeed for it.

Across the game, the pundits perception is that he’s just another greedy mercenary. In the cold light of day, sgi comes up strong and powerful in its unwillingness to compromise and humiliate itself.

The ex players I know, their favourite and most valued aspect of their career was the friendships made and a club legend status is very precious, it can’t be bought and can’t be sold. Nobody told Cam, or if they did, he didn’t listen.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Im 100% behind Hook this year but I don’t buy this argument from him.

The additional $ from the Sharks deal is not enough to set him up for ten years let alone forty years and as I’ve said, the future estrangement from the dragons social should be factored in.

As a gold plated club legend, all kinds of career opportunities, friendships and respect could have been enjoyed over many decades.

To put a figure to it, say he gets an average wage for 35 year from his dragons associations, let’s be conservative and call it $70k, that’s about $2.5m ( without a pay rise)

And I dare say he’s done very well indeed from the dragons so far and is not struggling.

I think Hook is being a bit cheeky here, but I’m afraid the ultimate responsibility for the short sightedness rests on Cam, his advisers and so forth. He will pay a dear price indeed for it.

Across the game, the pundits perception is that he’s just another greedy mercenary.

Hi Silverdale,

I think the "40 year" quote is a typo...if you listen to the interview , Griffin never states this...more likely they meant to say "He set himself up for the next 4 years."

Sharks paid overs for a player who they are going to play @ lock ( untried over time in this position )....It really is as simple as that.

That in itself is a gamble...add to that, the cap has gone down and they will eventually need to shed a few players...A.M will be on .less than half of what Cameron got and this will buy us time to bring through the next crop of young players.

There is even more to this...let me put it this way, we were never going to retain him...

We need to move on..

Good times ahead...as SMZ quoted..." Watch this space..." ;-).

Enjoy your Weekend.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
A simple example: 600k p/a over four years used to buy additional investment property, yielding an average 5% return. This could serve as a steady income supplement during life after football. 'Remember he still gets to keep hold of his investment of 2.4m + capital gains. It is also possible that rents will rise as well.