What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

Who’s the better dummyhalf for ‘22 & ‘23?

• Cameron McInnes

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • Ben Hunt

Votes: 38 45.2%

• Total voters

Goblin_Shark

Juniors
Definitely agree about Macca, word on the street is we are after Brailey as he’s not happy with the McInnes signing.

Brailey should have a very stern discussion with the guy that is responsible for talent identification.

It shouldn’t be too hard to organise some time with him to talk about his concerns.

Glenn Brailey – Academy and Talent Identification (from the sharks site)

Goblin_Shark

Juniors
Finally another who has clarity of mind ! I thought that I was alone . We have some who wish a refund on their club membership , others who intend to burn their beloved Big Red V jersey all because this information has finally come to light .

Cronulla undoubtedly have been in discussions with McInnes for quite some time ( and somehow actually managed to keep it under wraps until McInnes was ready to make an announcement ) it did not ( as George Sancti said ) earlier occur overnight .

If there is a villain here then you need to look no further than the player himself - not the incoming coach , nor the club . Griffin was only attempting to find a player ( McCulloch ) to fill the gap should the worse occur - which it now has .

What can a club do if a player , any player has already made his mind up to move onto greener pastures ? Not much unfortunately in this instance.

As I said in an earlier post , it’s an absolute shame that we shall be losing him in 2022 , but for now he is with the Dragons and undoubtedly will continue to give his all .

Great post.

Anyone ever left a job cos you didn’t like the boss? I have. So has McInnes now.

Hurts and it sucks but new players come along.

This is exactly how pissed I was when Holmes left to play NFL. f**k him but your club is bigger than one guy.

I’d be more pissed that your club management tried to bribe you all with the Folau news on the exact same day so you can shake it off quicker.

be55

Juniors
No he didn't

He said they spoke before Xmas and only had the one meeting. Terms were only agreed recently.
I think you'll find that Morris actually said that they had one meeting before Christmas and at the end of that meeting McInnes told them of his intention to sign with them...

Morris even commented on how well the dealing with the two parties had gone and how happy he was that both parties didn't leak to the media and even commended McInnes and his management for keeping the news from getting out...

Do you really think that if they only had one meeting that the length and amount of a contract wasn't discussed...

Of course it was...

They would have offered him the 4 year deal for 2.4 and he would have said "I'm yours"...

Deal done.

Who cares when he actually signed on the dotted line it's irrelevant...McInnes declared his intentions after one meeting with them and that meeting took place before Christmas....

slippery5

Juniors
Finally another who has clarity of mind ! I thought that I was alone . We have some who wish a refund on their club membership , others who intend to burn their beloved Big Red V jersey all because this information has finally come to light .

Cronulla undoubtedly have been in discussions with McInnes for quite some time ( and somehow actually managed to keep it under wraps until McInnes was ready to make an announcement ) it did not ( as George Sancti said ) earlier occur overnight .

If there is a villain here then you need to look no further than the player himself - not the incoming coach , nor the club . Griffin was only attempting to find a player ( McCulloch ) to fill the gap should the worse occur - which it now has .

What can a club do if a player , any player has already made his mind up to move onto greener pastures ? Not much unfortunately in this instance.

As I said in an earlier post , it’s an absolute shame that we shall be losing him in 2022 , but for now he is with the Dragons and undoubtedly will continue to give his all .
Exactly, except for your last paragraph.

getsmarty

Immortal

McInnes to depart Dragons at season's end
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 2 Feb 2021, 11:59 AM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra hooker Cameron McInnes will depart the Dragons at season's end after agreeing to a multi-year deal at another NRL club.

McInnes informed the club of his departure at the conclusion of the 2021 season on Tuesday morning.

"We were well aware throughout our discussions with Cameron and his management that he wanted his future sorted prior to the season commencement," General manager of football Ben Haran said.

"There's always a process to contractual negotiations, but with our club going through a significant transition it's fair to say that Cameron and the club were working on different timeframes.

"We understood why he wanted his future sorted immediately, which has since led to Cameron and his family securing an opportunity elsewhere.

"Cameron is a quality player and person who has brought a lot to St George Illawarra since arriving in 2017, and we're looking forward to him again playing a huge role in his final season at the club."

The two-time Dragons Player of the Year Medallist has played 91 games with the club to date.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02/02/mcinnes-to-depart-dragons-at-seasons-end/

BLM01

First Grade
To be fair there were some on here that won’t be surprised by this news. I predicted it some time ago.

You are our resident Nostradamus as you keep telling us Frank

However the spin baffling words from Ben Haran
"but with our club going through a significant transition it's fair to say that Cameron and the club were working on different timeframes.
"We understood why he wanted his future sorted immediately, which has since led to Cameron and his family securing an opportunity elsewhere."

Translates "we were not fussed if he signed or not at the money we would of had to pay him and we were in no rush and did not see him as one of our marquee's and club leaders going forward"

Surprising to me but clear as mud :rolleyes:

getsmarty

Immortal
Cam McInnes signs with Cronulla Sharks on four year deal from 2022, reports

Written By Sporting News
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link

Cameron McInnes has signed with the Cronulla Sharks in a deal reportedly worth around $2 million over four years.

As first reported by the Daily Telegraph, McInnes will leave the Dragons after the 2021 season.

There had been rumours around the NRL that McInnes was looking to move on after the Dragons hadn't tabled him an official offer beyond this season.

Incoming Dragons coach Anthony Griffin has reportedly been working on a deal to lure Andrew McCullough to the Red V to play hooker in 2021.

MORE: Dragons' McInnes moves leave Fittler stunned

According to the Daily Telegraph , McInnes will play lock at the Sharks, with rising star Blayke Brailey remaining in the number nine jersey.

McInnes had been in talks with Tigers coach Michael Maguire before he decided to sign with Cronulla.

The Dragons confirmed the news in a statement on Tuesday morning.

"We were well aware throughout our discussions with Cameron and his management that he wanted his future sorted prior to the season commencement," General manager of football Ben Haran said.

"There's always a process to contractual negotiations, but with our club going through a significant transition it's fair to say that Cameron and the club were working on different timeframes.

"We understood why he wanted his future sorted immediately, which has since led to Cameron and his family securing an opportunity elsewhere.

"Cameron is a quality player and person who has brought a lot to St George Illawarra since arriving in 2017, and we're looking forward to him again playing a huge role in his final season at the club."

The news won't go down well with Dragons faithful given McInnes has been one of their best over the past two seasons.

Speaking on SEN on Monday, New South Wales coach Brad Fittler said he couldn't understand why the Dragons hadn't offered McInnes a contract.

"Anthony Griffin's got his idea around the type of players he wants and I believe Andrew McCullough is one of them," Fittler said .

"But I don't know why (they're risking losing McInnes). If he's at your club, I wouldn't be letting him go.

"(He's) such a great bloke to have part of a team.

"It's so hard to get those fellas."

McInnes was shifted from hooker to lock by Griffin's predecessor Paul McGregor midway through last year to accommodate Ben Hunt's move into the number nine jersey.

McInnes flourished in the role and by the end of the season was among the best 13's in the competition.

More to come...

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...e-illawarra-dragons/929eqp7uh9kv1hw16iodfpwt1

Gareth67

First Grade
No he didn't

He said they spoke before Xmas and only had the one meeting. Terms were only agreed recently.

Well there you have it - they were in discussions before Christmas, regardless if it was only one meeting the fact remains McInnes and his agent were on the hunt long before now . We cannot attach any blame for this to the incoming coach nor the club as the man intended to move elsewhere quite some time back .

Now that being the case , whatever you do don’t go burning your club jerseys and for pity sake don’t cancel your membership as we will be needing every dollar we have to sign everyone’s favorite player none other than Mr. Cameron ‘ Ref ‘ Smith.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Disgruntled Dragons skipper sensationally signs with NRL arch rival on MASSIVE deal
Dragons
james_hooper.jpg

• February 2, 2021 11:27am
  • James Hooper
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
337d6fbd05c2c5d185e92d12524c73ea

Cameron McInnes will leave the Dragons.Source: Getty Images
The Cronulla Sharks have landed a shock left-field blow over arch-rivals St George Illawarra with Dragons captain Cameron McInnes set to join the black, white and blue in 2022.

Fox Sports has learned McInnes informed St George Illawarra on Tuesday he has signed a four-year deal with Dragons local derby rivals Cronulla until the end of 2025.

The surprise move ends a month of headlines around the future of the Red V captain as new Dragons coach Anthony Griffin pursues Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough for this season.

The McInnes four-year deal with the Sharks is believed to be worth around the $2.4 million mark.

Ex-Sharks coach Shane Flanagan is said to have given McInnes a huge rap after spending 2020 as an assistant coach at St George Illawarra.

McInnes told Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran about the Sharks deal on Tuesday morning and was set to tell the Red V playing group after that.

The next question for new Dragons coach Griffin will now centre around whether McInnes remains as captain of the Red V this year or if St George Illawarra go in a different direction.

The most logical option is the Dragons will go with either Ben Hunt or Tariq Sims.

St George Illawarra are adamant they will not let McInnes depart a year early - meaning he will play 2021 for the Dragons.

McInnes has won the Dragons medal as the Red V’s best player for the past two consecutive seasons but was also extremely close to previous Dragons coach Paul McGregor.

Once new coach Griffin arrived, McInnes requested permission to test his value on the open market and the Dragons decided to pursue experienced Broncos hooker McCullough.

Reading between the lines there was always something going on with McInnes once Griffin stepped in at the helm.

No one suspected the Sharks were in the running for his signature given the club already has young gun local junior hooker Blayke Brailey on their books.

But McInnes offers tremendous versatility as a small middle forward or dummy-half and was chasing a four-year contract.

The Sharks have come to the party and trumped the Wests Tigers, who were another club monitoring the McInnes situation.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/f74cae9b615a717e505c542ddc8a1fcd

Yeah I suppose these things don’t occur overnight.

But he had an entire club at his feet and he’s thrown it all away. He’s upset a lot of people including hundreds or thousands over the years who helped him up to the heights.

Going to the Sharks is not an upgrade. Great club, but no better than you guys.

I just think people have got into his head and told him crap and he’s sucked it all in. Idiot.

Courage amongst the fans is needed. Stay the course. Sgi is too powerful to be on its knees for any player. Own the moment, dominate, give him the public finger! No apologies or self flogging.

But I think he should be dropped for awhile. Helps the DNA and sends the message. He’s waiting for 2022 isn’t he?

He’s put his own interests against yours and he needs to know who is boss.

Bloody Flanagan sounds like he was ratting away after you kindly helped him out. If that was the case, he’s in my bad books too.

Last edited:

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Gents we need to look at the real story. Cam was gone the minute he started kicking stones over McGregor.
Don’t get me wrong I like the bloke but he was one dimensional for me. Albeit he did so many tackles and listened to a moronic game plan.
If you think this sharks deal just popped up your kidding yourself. The club did not put forward any offer to him as he had told them he will not be re signing.
Say what you want about Hook but he is what we need right now. Time will tell but the guy can coach. I think his plan is Hunt to 9 and the young halves coming through to be groomed this year.
Look he may be sour at times but I remember a game in 2018 where we were flying and his panthers coached side dismantled us with ease.
Time will tell but I think we need to take in all the shit talk about Cam and how we didn’t offer a deal and let see what happens when we kick off. For fkd sake McGregor had to make comment on the herald about Cams departure. Bet he said it with glee. The poison chalice he is

Latest posts