What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith

What will happen to Cam Smith?

• Charged - found guilty at judiciary and misses 1 or 2 matches

Votes: 131 61.8%
  • Charged - found guilty but downgraded, misses 0 matches

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Charged - found innocent

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Not Charged

Votes: 29 13.7%

• Total voters

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/articles/2008/09/23/1221935641462.html?feed=fairfaxdigitalxml

Now Smith wants Thaiday to grapple with a moral bind

Brad Walter and Richard Hinds | September 24, 2008

BRONCOS forward Sam Thaiday may be approached to give evidence on behalf of Cam Smith as the Melbourne captain attempts to beat a grapple tackle charge that could end his season and rule him out of the Australian side for the official World Cup opener against New Zealand.

With Smith facing the prospect of being suspended for Friday's preliminary final against Cronulla and the following weekend's grand final if the Storm beat the Sharks, it is understood he is considering asking his Queensland and Australia teammate to testify at tonight's judiciary hearing.

Despite Thaiday clearly resenting the 59th-minute tackle in last Saturday night's semi-final that led to Smith and Melbourne teammate Jeremy Smith being charged with contrary conduct, his anger appeared directed at the Kiwi second-rower, who yesterday accepted a one-match ban for a "chicken wing".

While the charge against Smith has been described as a test case in the war against grapple tackles, a hearing two years ago that was considered equally significant at the time resulted in Parramatta's Nathan Hindmarsh being exonerated after his alleged victim, Adrian Morley, gave evidence on his behalf.

Sydney barrister Geoff Bellew, who will represent Smith, is expected to tell the three-man panel of former players that the Kangaroos hooker was unaware of Jeremy Smith's involvement in the tackle and was merely trying to force Thaiday to the ground. Bellew will argue that the pair was working against each other in the tackle, which also involved Dallas Johnson, who was around Thaiday's legs.

Smith is also likely to say he did not initially realise he had his arm hooked under Thaiday's chin and released his grip as soon as he did - although the NRL prosecution maintain that he then grabbed the Brisbane second-rower's head a second time and twisted it.

"Right from the start he has maintained it was accidental," said Melbourne CEO Brian Waldron. "He certainly releases the tackle, if you look at it in real time, when he realises that it might be an issue and I think there is a genuine case that it is not outside the spirit of the game. He certainly doesn't go through with anything that causes any damage.

"We are very conscious, like everyone, that the head is sacrosanct. But sometimes things happen and there have been a lot of cases this year - a lot of cases this year - where there could have been similar charges. That's the way the ball bounces."

If Smith is suspended and the Sharks beat Melbourne on Friday night, he will complete his ban in the October 26 World Cup clash at Sydney Football Stadium, but Cronulla and Australia coach Ricky Stuart yesterday said the judiciary panel had no choice but to find him guilty.

"He's been found guilty of attacking the head or the neck, or whatever it was. Rules are rules," Stuart told Sydney radio station 2KY. "It's disappointing for Cameron. It's disappointing for their coach because he's a big part of their team. He's been flirting with it all year, so the time comes when you pay the price. It's difficult for him. He's a good bloke. He'll be disappointed he's not going to be there."

The NRL would not reveal the three-man panel of former players which will decide tomorrow's verdict, but judiciary chairman Greg Woods will, as always, instruct them to ignore the media hype surrounding the case.

The interest surrounding the case has been so intense that Sportingbet Australia yesterday offered a market on whether Smith will play this week - $1.18 he won't and $4.25 he will.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24392746-10389,00.html

Storm confident Cameron Smith will be cleared of grapple

Dave Donaghy and Karl deKroo

September 24, 2008 12:00am

ONE Smith has already paid the price, but Melbourne is confident Cam Smith will have his name cleared at the NRL judiciary in Sydney.

Storm back-rower Jeremy Smith yesterday accepted a one-match ban for his chicken-wing effort on Broncos forward Sam Thaiday.

But despite the firestorm that has surrounded Cameron Smith's involvement around the neck in the same tackle, Melbourne Storm is confident its skipper will be cleared of a grapple tackle charge tonight and take his place against the Sharks on Friday night.

Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron says he doesn't expect the NRL panel to be swayed by calls for Smith's head in Sydney this week.

"It's not different to any other case. It has to be taken on its merits, doesn't it? That's the key," Waldron said.

"I've got no doubt at all that what is written will become totally irrelevant when it gets to the minds of the three or four people making the decision on the night.

"They are sensible people charged with making sensible decisions on the outcome, so we'll wait and see."

The Storm has not revealed how it intends to fight the charge but there were suggestions yesterday it might attempt to shift all the blame on to Jeremy Smith.

"Our defence will probably fall into place tomorrow," Waldron said. "Right from the start, Cam has maintained his contact was accidental."

"He certainly releases the tackle, if you look at it in real time. And when he realises it might be an issue and I think that there's a genuine case that he's not outside the spirit of the game, he doesn't go through with anything that causes any damage."

Smith will arrive in Sydney this afternoon ahead of the hearing and will be defended by Sydney-based lawyer Geoff Bellew, QC, who got North Queensland captain Johnathan Thurston off a dangerous throw charge at the same stage of last season.

"We've said all along that we wouldn't waste the judiciary's time," Waldron said.

"We think there's an argument that the findings aren't correct so we'll see how we go."

Waldron said Melbourne would be offering no excuses, regardless of the result of the Smith case.

Meanwhile Storm prop Brett White's feud with Cronulla prop Ben Ross will be reignited on Friday night - but the Melbourne enforcer has vowed to put the past behind him.

White and Ross will collide head-on for the first time since their infamous dust-up in round 2 this year.

White, infuriated by Ross's late and high elbow on Storm halfback Cooper Cronk, decked his former St George Illawarra teammate with two powerful blows.

"I hope I'm not put in that situation but at the end of the day we're a team," he said. "We worry about each other."

When one of your mates has something like that done to them you want to try to stop it or do something about it."

DJShaksta

First Grade
I'd still like Waldron to explain to me how going for a second grab at a guys head in the same tackle is accidental.....................
But then again I am not a Storm player.

DJShaksta

First Grade
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=211478&page=45

THE breeze blowing through the gap left by a demolished grandstand at Melbourne Storm training yesterday was not icy, it was bracing. The Storm have no injury concerns, merely players making maximum use of alternative limbs. And captain Cam Smith was not shielded from the media, he was rested from daily promotional activities.
This, if it is not too much trouble for the vultures of the "northern media", is how the Storm would like their activities to be reported for the rest of the finals - with enough sugar-coating to kill diabetics in neighbouring suburbs. Particularly anything relating to grapple tackles (Woops! That should be legitimate blocking manoeuvre that may cause accidental head-high contact.)
Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said as much yesterday when he fumed (sorry - kindly pointed out) how the media had been dwelling on the apparently inconsequential matter of Smith's appointment with the NRL judiciary tonight instead of "the positives that came out of the game" against Brisbane.
"It borders on disgraceful journalism at times," fumed (make that "helpfully explained") Waldron. "We just can't concentrate on the great things that happen in our game. Sure, we need to protect players and we need to be conscious of the image of the game. But I think there are a lot of positives that can be commented on about last Saturday night's game rather than negatives. But it doesn't always happen."
And, if you did not know Waldron was a media-savvy and generally affable soul, you might have almost kept a straight face. You might have believed that, rather than report on a case that has major short-term (for the Storm's title defence) and long-term (for the seemingly endless grapple-tackle debate) ramifications, he truly thinks there are matters more worthy of attention in the lead-up to Friday night's game against Cronulla.
Like, um, whether Billy Slater or Israel Folau has the dreamiest eyes? Or if Greg Inglis is a champion or merely bloody good? The type of positive things the "northern media" wilfully ignores.
At it was, on a day when the Storm had to deal with the difficult task of remaining upbeat about Smith's chances of playing on Friday night, while at the same time making it very clear they were not attempting to influence the judiciary, the club needed a scapegoat. And, in a city where the game's official broadcaster screens your epic semi-final in a home shopping timeslot contributes heavily to the general ambivalence, they are not easy to find.
Much easier to put on the bovver boots and take aim at an old target - the pesky northern media. Something that, in the past, has deserved the odd kicking. Like when the luddites question the need to support a team in the nation's second largest city. Or when they talk about how boring it will be if the Storm make the grand final again - somehow forgetting this is easily the most talented and, on their day, exciting team in the competition.
However, even allowing for the reflex impulse of sporting clubs to circle the wagons when under duress, this hardly seemed the time to be shooting the messenger. Not when Waldron acknowledged in the next breath he had no complaints about the Smith case going to the judiciary or that the chances of having Smith's two-match ban overturned were no better than "the toss of a coin".
If the Storm want to play victim, they may be better served highlighting the extravagant attempts of their recent opponents to milk the grapple-tackle controversy for their own ends.
The way in which a group of Broncos stood with their hands in the air on Saturday night, like schoolboys begging to go to the bathroom, as play went on around them. Or how, the previous weekend, Warriors skipper Steve Price spent so much time getting in the referees ear he left the field covered in wax. The type of opportunism intended to create the impression the Storm have Hulk Hogan, Andre The Giant and The Undertaker in their front row.
Those on-field demonstrations, more than anything in the media in the past fortnight, have put the Storm back at the centre of the grapple-tackle debate and, in turn, threatened to prejudice Smith's case - as much as it can be prejudiced given the presence of clear-cut video evidence. The Storm can only hope the judiciary view that video as positively as they would like us to view everything else.
Great article.

gong_eagle

First Grade
the News ltd poll is running at

Should Cameron Smith be banned for his tackle on Sam Thaiday?
Yes - without a doubt 82% (1859 votes)

No - the finals is not the time for it 17% (404 votes)

Pass the Ball

Juniors
Watch any NRL game this year and you could suspend 5 players from each team every week for using force around the head and neck region...

Every club does it...

Melbourne are just the best at it...

Sould you be punished for being the best????

Watch any NRL game this year and you could suspend 5 players from each team every week for using force around the head and neck region...

Every club does it...

Regardless, this is long overdue and Cam Smith is a constant offender. As far as i am concerned I dont care who they are, what club they are from or wether its in the finals, NRL take a stance and get this sh*t out of the game. Smith is a leader in the rubbish so its justice he be the leader in it being stamped out.

IMO, tough shyte

Y2Eel

First Grade

Every club does it...

WTF :lol: No dont punish us for doing something illegal...

Pass the Ball

Juniors
I agree it is a blight on the game...

But how would you feel if it was Gallen or Nutley up...??

As a neutral - I would want all of them playing..

Bench
Regardless, this is long overdue and Cam Smith is a constant offender. As far as i am concerned I dont care who they are, what club they are from or wether its in the finals, NRL take a stance and get this sh*t out of the game. Smith is a leader in the rubbish so its justice he be the leader in it being stamped out.

IMO, tough shyte
That is it in a nutshell,Smith is at it every week,this has been coming for a longtime now,so Cam can sit and watch the next 2 weeks.He is lucky it will only be 2 weeks,it should have more.

DJShaksta

First Grade
I agree it is a blight on the game...

As a neutral - I would want all of them playing..

I'd feel dissapointed that they could do something so stupid during the finals. Something that could cost them a QF and GF appearance.

But I can honestly say I would not support any player doing what Cameron Smith has done.

jc155776

Coach

Its not Gallen or Nutley up.

No shark has been done for a grapple, ever.

So its irrelevant.

He is f**ked and should not play.

Rules are rules.

Look pass the ball, If one of our guys is stupid enough to do what Cam did, rub him out! Its the only way this crap will stop. I would rather we lose and continue taking the bridesmaid jibes then see some poor guy from another team in a wheelchair and know it was a Shark player that did that with this kind of rubbish.

FFS we have rubbed Bird out for his stupidity and the NRL had nothing to do with that. If we can rub out one of our best for off field assault, why cant the NRL rub players out for an on field assault. make no mistake mate, it's against the rules so if someone gets badly hurt from it the whole game will suffer

t1tan

Juniors
With all the extra scrutiny on tackles around the head and neck area,this might be a good time to introduce a second referee.
Have one ref back the 10 metres with the defence,and the other ref closely monitoring the play the ball.

Pass the Ball

Juniors
Both games this weekend are going to be penalty-a-thons...

Now is not the time to start policing the ruck if it has not been done all year...

Latest posts