What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anybody beat Brisbane for the premiership ?

aussies1st

Staff member
I think we have seen the broncos weakness over their last 2 games. The warriors and storm have shown how to beat them. Use fast men at the ruck and you can make good yardage

JJ

Immortal
of course Brisbane may not win - they've been consistent, but not awe-inspriring, and the rest have been very inconstent. Teams will and should step up a notch or two in the semis.

Teams that have done as well and better in the regular season than Brisbane have failed to win the premiership. they're deserved favourites though

Azkatro

First Grade
This competition has come down to a question not so much of who has the best team on the paddock, because it is so close across the board. It's become a question of who is the best football club. We all know who wins there.

gregstar

Referee
jimmythehand said:
Dragons will be very lucky to make it given the draw they have. I don't think they have enough quality despite everyone(?) thinking they do.
yeah - you're right - not enough quality
origin fullback
origin & test centres
origin & test 5/8
origin & test lock
origin & test props
plus creagh & young

if they fail - it isn't due to a lack of quality

start using the brain & not the hand jimmy.

renouf

Juniors
Red and Blue Knight said:
Bulldogs will go back to back.

Their run will start this friday night with a 30 point thrashing of the Broncos.

yet another expert analysis from yourself, I've never seen such a team have an effect on someone, you truely are obsessed with Brisbane not winning...

The Colonel

Immortal
If the Dogs can get through the semi-finals then they would be a good chance - injury is the biggest concern for the Doggies. If they can stay on the park they will have fresh stars returning - the inability top score points in the second half may cost them if they have to defend a lot.

Parramatta have the defense to do it - all depends on how well Tim Smith handles the big games. of the last ten games they have only lost two games by a combined 12 points. The Canberra game was one of those things - we haven't beaten Canberra since 2000 in Canberra and only three other times since 1990.

On their day the Dragons can beat anybody but they can also be beaten by anybody. Too early to tell for the Dragons - its what team turns up on the day for them that counts.

Brisbane are the team to beat - there isn't any doubt about that.

simon says

First Grade
Brisbane is the team to beat.....but we all remember what happened to Parra in 2001.

Ive seen many teams that were by far the best throughout the season proper get bundles out by week 2.

Of course Brisbane atm are looking very good.....but its a long way from being decided.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Bulldogs and Dragons are the only ones i'd give a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if the dogs knock them out. The dragons have the team to do it but you know they won't. Nathan brown is a hack.

jimmythehand

Juniors
gregstar said:
yeah - you're right - not enough quality
origin fullback
origin & test centres
origin & test 5/8
origin & test lock
origin & test props
plus creagh & young

if they fail - it isn't due to a lack of quality

start using the brain & not the hand jimmy.

Ryles - used to be good
Bailey - used to be good, might be finding it again
Barrett - good but not consistent, loses as many games for his team as he wins.
Hornby - Would rather him in my side than barrett
Timmins - mr araldite would kill any attack, I love it when he's playing for the Dragons, hate it when he's playing for NSW
Gasnier - great player
Cooper - overrated, only good in open space

There's a distinct lack of quality in this team, far too many overrated players. Potential means nothing.

Their performances in the NRL over the last few years shows how much quality they really have. Speak with your brain and not with your heart.

Mr Saab

Referee
Jimmy...form is temporary...class is permenant.

Who can beat the broncos? Parra...stg...dogs...followed by a bus crash on the way to a game

SunkenEyes

Juniors
LeagueNut said:
If the Broncos make it to the GF then I wouldn't bet against them, no matter who the opposition was. They would need to be knocked out before then, and there's certainly teams capable of doing just that.

I fully agree. Brisbane are a team made for grand finals as they havent lost one yet. If they are beaten i think it will happen in the weekend before the final. Parramatta and Cronulla have done well against Brisbane in semis over the years , they might give them a good shake.

gregstar

Referee
jimmythehand said:
Ryles - used to be good
WRONG - he might be inconsistent but the 2nd & 3rd origin showed that he is still a good prop - his effort against manly as captain was outstanding
jimmythehand said:
Bailey - used to be good, might be finding it again
WRONG - what are you talking about? he has never lost it! - because carl webb manages to put one on him in origin 1, he's suddenly a has been? uppercuts for jimmy!
jimmythehand said:
Barrett - good but not consistent, loses as many games for his team as he wins.
WRONG - you seem to recall a game against parra & that's about it. he may not be consistent courtesy of injuries but saying he loses games for his team is plain sh*t!
jimmythehand said:
Hornby - Would rather him in my side than barrett.
CORRECT - he is more important to the dragons than barrett
jimmythehand said:
Timmins - mr araldite would kill any attack, I love it when he's playing for the Dragons, hate it when he's playing for NSW.
WRONG - he has had a tremendous season thus far. he has made telling contributions in both defence & attack. you're regurgitating the usual crap.
jimmythehand said:
Gasnier - great player.
CORRECT
jimmythehand said:
Cooper - overrated, only good in open space.
WRONG! - you're f*cking kidding! he is better defensively than gaz and if the groin injury he's carrying can be over come, he's just as good on his feet - watch games from last season - he was a lot better than gaz in '04

jimmythehand said:
There's a distinct lack of quality in this team, far too many overrated players. Potential means nothing..
drugs are bad mkay!

jimmythehand said:
Their performances in the NRL over the last few years shows how much quality they really have. Speak with your brain and not with your heart.
because i am a dragons fan & because i am as critical (if not more so) i believe i am qualified to know if there is quality in that team. my heart allows me to forgive the lack of results - my brain allows me to assess how much quality is there.
they don't hand out origin or test jerseys to players who aren't quality

skeepe

Immortal
gregstar said:
they don't hand out origin or test jerseys to players who aren't quality

Explain Michael Crocker's test jersey then, or Brett Finch's origin jersey.

gregstar

Referee
skeepe said:
Explain Michael Crocker's test jersey then.
LOL!
quality hand jobber ;-)

i was hoping my argument would last longer than this - thanks skeepe you merkin!

Mr Saab

Referee
skeepe said:
Explain Michael Crocker's test jersey then, or Brett Finch's origin jersey.

easy....in 2003 when he made his test debut 19 players in front of him pulled out.

finch...Gower was injured in game one...noddy pulled a hammy in training...barrett said he wasnt fit to play...orford had calf problems....finch came in.

Kakihara

Juniors
The Bulldogs have the same amount of wins as the Warriors and Roosters and people are talking them up like they are certainties too make the 8.

I'd love to see the Bulldogs finish in that 8th spot. Makes first week of the finals very interesting. Not much of a reward for finshing as Minor Premiers but it would be a great game to watch. Personally though, I think the Doggies will go close to a top 4 finish. All their troops are coming back and they'll be a big headache to other teams in the closing rounds.

Mr Saab

Referee
dogs will either miss out altogether or make 4th or 5th...why? because of the odd number of points they are on courtesy of the draw they had with the rabbits.

JJ

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
Jimmy...form is temporary...class is permenant.

Who can beat the broncos? Parra...stg...dogs...followed by a bus crash on the way to a game

that's getting a bit arrogant Charlie - it's not a vintage Broncos side, nor would it be one of the better premiership winning teams (should it win the premiership) of the last 10 years.

Assuming they make the finals and have everyone fit and in form, I'd back the Dragons, Bulldogs and Warriors to comfortably beat the Broncos - thosea are all big ifs - but also, take Webcke or lockyer out due to injury and the Broncos probably aren't even favourites anymore