What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anybody beat Brisbane for the premiership ?

jimmythehand

Juniors
greg a quality team is one that performs well most of the time, not just some of the time.

How many of your players that have achieved state and test level players would be first choices? I think Gasnier would be the only one at test level.

Your players might have talent but not only do they not gel as a side they don't even show their talent individually on a consistent basis. That's why I say they lack quality. They have to be consistent before they can be called quality players.

How many times have the Dragons - with your so called nucleus of "quality" players - made the semi-finals (ie top 4). Maybe once? It's hardly the sign of having a quality side.

Prove me wrong 2005 Dragons!

Lenny_2212

Juniors
jimmy, dragons have never made the top 4 since the JV begun, but i agree with everything you say mate. it's a shame too, but for some reason i think this year may be different. ive never seen such an enthusiastic and motivated attitude from the boys before, hopefully good times ahead.

gregstar

Referee
jimmythehand said:
greg a quality team is one that performs well most of the time, not just some of the time.

How many of your players that have achieved state and test level players would be first choices? I think Gasnier would be the only one at test level.

Your players might have talent but not only do they not gel as a side they don't even show their talent individually on a consistent basis. That's why I say they lack quality. They have to be consistent before they can be called quality players.

How many times have the Dragons - with your so called nucleus of "quality" players - made the semi-finals (ie top 4). Maybe once? It's hardly the sign of having a quality side.

Prove me wrong 2005 Dragons!
brilliant!
ok jimmy
the dragons have no quality players
it was just a figment of my imagination

Mr Saab

Referee
gregstar said:
ok jimmy
the dragons have no quality players
it was just a figment of my imagination

he is right greg...the dragons have no quality players. The knights have much better quality....as well as the rabbits.
I am sure you would swap Hornby for Trent Salkel from the knights ;-)

Kiwi

First Grade
gregstar said:
yeah - you're right - not enough quality
origin fullback
origin & test centres
origin & test 5/8
origin & test lock
origin & test props
plus creagh & young

if they fail - it isn't due to a lack of quality

start using the brain & not the hand jimmy.

Former test 5/8
Former Origin and Test Lock
ONE test centre

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They are a team that gets players selected and somehow lucks out. Unfortunately, whatever "quality" they show on the Rep arena dissolves into thin air on the NRL field and as a result St George-Illawarra are the most inconsistent side there is.

Just the way it is... baby!

kickback

Juniors
Ok back to the topic!!!

I think if the dogs can fire this weekend and cause an upset against us, that will give them a lot of confidence, but they will have to keep all there players on the field and finish undefeated from now on, to have any credibility coming into the finals,
they play>>>

Broncos
Souths
Knights
Eels
Tigers
Panthers
Rooters

I dont think they can beat us this week, but they should be able to take care of the rest. Eels and Tigers games will be interresting though.

I dont think anyone else really has the players or experience to knock us off.

Everytime we have won the Minor/Prem we have won the G/F>
92, 97, 98 2000

Lenny_2212

Juniors
also, i'd like to point something out. at the present time, brisbane are struggling to be beaten, however come september, it is a whole new ball game. anyone can win and one loss can send you packing. every team grows a leg or two come finals time, anyone has a shot at that title when september rolls around.

Kiwi

First Grade
Lenny_2212 said:
what about 93 kickback?

They won it from 5th so why would he mention that when saying when ever the Broncos have finished 1st as minor-premiers after the rounds they have won the comp?

Lenny_2212

Juniors
Kiwi said:
They won it from 5th so why would he mention that when saying when ever the Broncos have finished 1st as minor-premiers after the rounds they have won the comp?

i wasnt sure thats why i asked.

Kiwi

First Grade
Lenny_2212 said:
also, i'd like to point something out. at the present time, brisbane are struggling to be beaten, however come september, it is a whole new ball game. anyone can win and one loss can send you packing. every team grows a leg or two come finals time, anyone has a shot at that title when september rolls around.

So if every team "grows a leg or two" come finals time, wouldn't that make the Broncos harder to beat?

Lenny_2212

Juniors
Kiwi said:
So if every team "grows a leg or two" come finals time, wouldn't that make the Broncos harder to beat?

there are alot of teams with alot of improvement left in them. and given that it is finals football, if the players are hungry and want it enough, they will topple brisbane. brisbane aren't shoe-in's like most expect.

Mr Saab

Referee
Lenny...you cant just switch on come finals time.
some teams have, but its rare.
Only one i can think of is the dogs of 1995.
Apart from that every other modern day GF winning team has been good to great thru the season.
Teams can improve all they like...but there isnt a magic switch. You have to do the hard yards in the reg season

Kiwi

First Grade
Lenny_2212 said:
there are alot of teams with alot of improvement left in them. and given that it is finals football, if the players are hungry and want it enough, they will topple brisbane. brisbane aren't shoe-in's like most expect.

I agree alot of teams have alot of improvement in them, the Broncos are one of those teams. I think there are alot of areas the Broncos can lift their game. Thats what has me confident, I don't think the Broncos are dead certs for the title, clear favourites, yes, but not certanties.

Lenny_2212

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
some teams have, but its rare.
Only one i can think of is the dogs of 1995.
Apart from that every other modern day GF winning team has been good to great thru the season.
Teams can improve all they like...but there isnt a magic switch. You have to do the hard yards in the reg season

that is not what i was implying. brisbane have beaten every team in this competition except for the warriors. come finals time, brisbane are no way certainties to beat any other club. i am not saying the other clubs will switch on, i am saying that the other clubs are more than capable of beating brisbane in the finals, something most completely overrate when they are discussing the finals series.

jimmythehand

Juniors
Brisbane doesn't even come close to comparing with the Bulldogs and Roosters at their best in the last couple of years.

That's what the salary cap does - it promotes mediocrity. Teams can no longer have the depth to be as dominant as they once were.

If Seymour keeps firing for Brisbane in the semis they will be hard to beat. But if as I expect he folds then the Broncos will be a walk in the park for the Doggies (provided sherwin doesn't lose it again) and the Eels would beat them if tim smith maintained his form. And of course the Dragons could too only they probably won't make the 8 because they don't have enough quality players (*snigger*).

Yes it's the half backs that will control the semi finals, and the performances of the forwards will go a long way to deciding how well the half backs perform.

Seymour is not a proven pressure performer for Brisbane, that's why they are very very beatable.

jimmythehand

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
some teams have, but its rare

The dogs actually found their feet in the last couple of rounds before the semis. First their defence starting holding firm, and their form culminated in a 60 point thrashing of the Gold Coast(?) in the last preliminary round. It was that thrashing that enabled their attack to get going, so they actually had momentum going into the finals.

Someone asked me in '95 with about 4 rounds to go what I'd do if the dogs won the comp.

That grand final win cost me a nuddy run around the Campus East dining room at the Uni of Gong

Latest posts