What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anybody beat Brisbane for the premiership ?

Chachi

Bench
If the GF was played this weekend I'd say Brisbane were specials.

Fortunately for everyone else, if memory serves me well, the GF has never been won in July. Brisbane are far from unbeatable and are nowhere near the super team they were in the mid 90's. It's too early to call this soon after the origin series.

Kiwi

First Grade
jimmythehand said:
the broncos have plenty of weaknesses, they might be leading the comp by 6 points but they're not that much better than the other teams. A bulldogs premier league side took them to the last minute of the game, a full strength side that shows any semblance of form will easily have their measure.

Broncos didn't exactly play good footy that day, played pretty crap really. I wouldn't use it as a measure on the Bulldogs vs Broncos.

Game_Breaker

Coach
SunkenEyes said:
I fully agree. Brisbane are a team made for grand finals as they havent lost one yet. If they are beaten i think it will happen in the weekend before the final. Parramatta and Cronulla have done well against Brisbane in semis over the years , they might give them a good shake.

This isnt the 90's, they havnt won a GF in 5 yrs. They havnt even looked like winning one in that time. Its a completely different team now and I honestly think they will choke come finals time because they havnt performed well in finals for the last couple of years.
But my opinion may change come friday night, if they're going to win the GF then friday is a good indication they can. Its at Telstra, going to be packed and at night, similar situation on GF night

Mr Saab

Referee
JJ said:
Assuming they make the finals and have everyone fit and in form, I'd back the Dragons, Bulldogs and Warriors to comfortably beat the Broncos - thosea are all big ifs - but also, take Webcke or lockyer out due to injury and the Broncos probably aren't even favourites anymore

and take ryles/anasta out of stg and where do they stand?
Take Omeley and anasta out of the dogs and where do they stand?
Take T smith and Hindmarsh from the eels and where do they stand?

alot of hypotheticals there huh?

Brisbane beat a fully fit dragons team early this yr and will meet them again in a few weeks.
The warriros are a bogey side yes, but they are no gimmes to make the semis. Their mental strength is poor to say the least.
The dogs/broncos is this friday and alot will be learnt from this clash
If the broncos remain fit (have been bar B Berrigan for 19 rounds) then they have a great chance.
People look to the broncos of 2002/3/4...this is a DIFFERENT team. They are younger, healthier and fitter.
Last yr Lockyer played 1/2 the season with a bad rib....devere was gone...seymour was gone...baz berrigan (key player yes) was gone. Neville costigan was our hooker! Brisbane had nothing. They had zero backline really....stu kelly and minto on the wings! i mean please. Minto has improved this yr.
Brisbane are nothing like 2002/3/4 and there will be no choke.

theicemandanno

Juniors
Broncos will flog Dogs....they were already looking forward to this match over the weekend imo.

Nevertheless, Dogs will still make the 8.

renouf

Juniors
We will crush Canterbury on friday nite...

unless the boys have got some money on themselves to lose.

JJ

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
and take ryles/anasta out of stg and where do they stand?
Take Omeley and anasta out of the dogs and where do they stand?
Take T smith and Hindmarsh from the eels and where do they stand?

alot of hypotheticals there huh?

agreed - just making the point that there are no guarantees.

And although they've been the best team this year, Brisbane have don it by being the most consistent, and to me don't stand out as the team that when everyone plays their best will have an edge. They aren't a great team IMO

The thing is, Brisbane will play well, the question is, will the likes of the Dragons and Bulldogs make the semis (and to a lesser extent the Warriors) and play well - if they do, then it'll be fun to watch.

Melbourne have a shot, Parra look like they need another year, but of they keep Smith they'll be fine, and the Cowboys don;t have enough class in the halves for mine

Mr Saab

Referee
brisbane have come back from 10 points or more to start a game 4 times this yr.

down 12-0 away to stg away...won
down 10-0 to sharks away...won
down 16-4 to the dogs at home...won
Down 12-0 to the knights away..won (ok i know its only the knights..but still)

brisbane adapt better than most teams. They have not smashed teams this yr by 40 every game but they have won 14 games and 9 of those have been 13 plus points

Rammo

Juniors
gregstar said:
WRONG - he might be inconsistent but the 2nd & 3rd origin showed that he is still a good prop - his effort against manly as captain was outstanding
WRONG - what are you talking about? he has never lost it! - because carl webb manages to put one on him in origin 1, he's suddenly a has been? uppercuts for jimmy!
WRONG - you seem to recall a game against parra & that's about it. he may not be consistent courtesy of injuries but saying he loses games for his team is plain sh*t!
CORRECT - he is more important to the dragons than barrett
WRONG - he has had a tremendous season thus far. he has made telling contributions in both defence & attack. you're regurgitating the usual crap.
CORRECT
WRONG! - you're f*cking kidding! he is better defensively than gaz and if the groin injury he's carrying can be over come, he's just as good on his feet - watch games from last season - he was a lot better than gaz in '04

drugs are bad mkay!

because i am a dragons fan & because i am as critical (if not more so) i believe i am qualified to know if there is quality in that team. my heart allows me to forgive the lack of results - my brain allows me to assess how much quality is there.
they don't hand out origin or test jerseys to players who aren't quality

Get over the bloody Dragons, as much as I hate the roosters at least they have capitalised on their playing talent in making 4 GFs in the last 5 years. The Dragons have had an as good or even more talented list than the dogs and roosters in the last 3 years, but due to their shocking ability in being unable show up mentally each week for games, the have sh*t all to show for it other than a face slap.

skeepe

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
easy....in 2003 when he made his test debut 19 players in front of him pulled out.

finch...Gower was injured in game one...noddy pulled a hammy in training...barrett said he wasnt fit to play...orford had calf problems....finch came in.

I'm aware of the facts Charlie, just refuting gregstar's claim that only quality players get the rep jerseys.

LESStar58

Referee
Was having this conversation at work today... I think Melbourne and North Queenland are the smokies to play the Broncos in the Grand Final.

However, as much as I hate to admit it I think Parramatta will contest the GF with Brisbane and if not Parramatta then Cronulla are the next best thing. The Eagles can't win it...they had a good season but that means squat when you lose 4 in a row. Dragons are dangerous and theres always a chance the Doggies will make the 8 bt its either Brisbane vs Storm, Cowboys or Eels for the GF.

Rammo said:
Get over the bloody Dragons, as much as I hate the roosters at least they have capitalised on their playing talent in making 4 GFs in the last 5 years. The Dragons have had an as good or even more talented list than the dogs and roosters in the last 3 years, but due to their shocking ability in being unable show up mentally each week for games, the have sh*t all to show for it other than a face slap.

I hate to cop shyte about the dragons, especially from a bulldog,and especially when he's right. And right you are, we have talent to burn, if only we had a consistent attitude to match. I could go on, but this aint a dragons thread.

As far as who can beat the broncos in the finals;

Dogs
Storm
Dragons

Thats it.

gregstar

Referee
jimmythehand said:
That's my point too. Dragons might have talent, but they don't have quality. There's a big difference mr Gregstar.
so origin & test teams aren't quality then?

gregstar

Referee
Rammo said:
yeah ok! i'll get over the team i support!
you clown.

so they have sh*t-all hey?
i see plenty of quality players who have represented their state & country.
jimmy disputes that they have quality players - he has a mental problem.
you dislike me arguing on behalf of my club - you're tarred with the same "genius" brush.

p*ss off

Rammo

Juniors
gregstar said:
yeah ok! i'll get over the team i support!
you clown.

so they have sh*t-all hey?
i see plenty of quality players who have represented their state & country.
jimmy disputes that they have quality players - he has a mental problem.
you dislike me arguing on behalf of my club - you're tarred with the same "genius" brush.

p*ss off

I don't mind if you like your team but surely you can identify with their many faults, don't go round thinking the are the best bloody team because they are a team of champions, not a champion team.

Rammo

Juniors
gregstar said:
so origin & test teams aren't quality then?

What he meant by his comment was that the Dragons have some outstanding individuals but don't gel well as a team, that is the point I am trying to make also.

gregstar

Referee
Rammo said:
I don't mind if you like your team but surely you can identify with their many faults, don't go round thinking the are the best bloody team because they are a team of chanpions, not a champion team.
well thankyou for allowing me to like my team!

if you can't recall how often i have been critical of the dragons, then you obviously don't pay a lot of attention.

when the argument is forwarded that the dragons are inconsistent - i'll agree
when the argument is presented that they have under achieved - i'll agree

but when some blind knob, says they don't have quality players - i'll argue strongly against it because it's straight crap.

gregstar

Referee
Rammo said:
What he meant by his comment was that the Dragons have some outstanding individuals but don't gel well as a team, that is the point I am trying to make also.
well i can't argue with that -
but saying the team is lacking quality is pure sh*t