What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I give up weights and just do bodyweight exercise and not lose strength?

Cliffhanger

Coach
Considering giving up weights altogether and just focusing on bodyweight workouts targetting all my muscle groups. Is it possible to maintain my strength without doing any weights training? I don't care about losing muscle mass, or not being able to lift as much, what's important is still being able to climb just as hard and continue to increase my limits when it comes to doing pull ups, pushups etc,

I already climb and do things like pull ups, pushups, dips, crunches, one legged squats etc as well as doing weights, but I wanna cut out weights so I can lose some muscle mass. I will probably start climbing with weighted vests and stuff after awhile to add resistance, but at this stage I would like to just use my body weight as resistance.

I currently do three weights sessions a week, it's high reps but a moderate amount of weight.

RHCP

Bench
I think you could retain the type of strength you want, a gymnast could probably do a ludicrous amount of pullups before fatiguing but struggle to squat his bodyweight, while somebody who's capable of squatting very heavy weights would probably struggle to do what the gymnast does. They are different kinds of 'strength'.

You're training for your sport, in which you will be working against your bodyweight. Seems logical that the strength gains you get just from the specific training you do for this would be adequate.

That's just what makes sense in my head, could be wrong.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Perhaps just do a brief whole body routine once per week to hold you strength and work on body weight only exercises other times.

Frailty

First Grade
I'm trying to maintain strength with my weight training, not increase how much I can lift etc.

High reps with moderate rate would increase endurance rather than maintain strength (although it wouldn't hurt). If your focus is maintaining strength to support the weight of your body - bodyweight exercises with high reps should suffice.

Shorty

Staff member
No.

And why, if you're after strength, are you doing high reps?
What do you mean 'no', what knowledge have you drawn this from?
Have you heard of gymnastics? Gymnasts don't lift a dumbbell and are among the strongest people in sport.

So yes, you can, but you will lose size....if you want to keep your strength you need to use different techniques like isometrics and super setting, no rest periods etc etc.
Considering you're a rock climber, I'm surprised you use weights in the first place....you don't need them.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Cliffhanger aint that strong anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter.

But if I was deadlifting 150kg, stopping and doing bodyweight exercises won't keep it there.

Hooch

Juniors
Of course you can... stop pissfarting around with moderate weights and go harder and longer with your chosen exercises...

I'm sure you will maintain the base level ov strength you need for climbing... By climbing. Depends what your goals are I guess, if you're focussing 100% on climbing there's no point being in the gym IMO. As for bodyweight, it's going to be affected by your diet, not your training.

Shorty

Staff member
But if I was deadlifting 150kg, stopping and doing bodyweight exercises won't keep it there.
That's because you're doing maximum strength training, it's a completely different type of training and you're pretty much never lifting (unless it's in your job) that weight in life apart from the gym so no, you will lose strength.
Not everyone is a 30something male who grunts in the gym while pumping iron.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Exactly. Personally I dont see the point of being able to deadlift or squat huge amounts, it has no real world application.

If you enjoy that sort of training then more power to you.

Exactly. Personally I dont see the point of being able to deadlift or squat huge amounts, it has no real world application.

LOL

I'd like to your definition ov "real world application". If you mean sitting on the forums all day then I guess you are right. Otherwise, you're kidding yourself.

18to87

First Grade

Well I had to move the fridge the other day that was a piece of cake. :eek:

Joker's Wild

Coach
LOL

I'd like to your definition ov "real world application". If you mean sitting on the forums all day then I guess you are right. Otherwise, you're kidding yourself.
Real world application would consist of scenarios that would actually have a better than remote chance of occuring outside the gym champ.

Please tell me where you will need to deadlift 200+kgs. Do you work in a Harley Davidson factory and need to move the bikes around by hand?

Like I said mate, if you enjoy that training then great but please dont try and be a smartarse and suggest that just because Im not into powerlifting I must be a weedy nerd who sits at a computer all day.

18to87 said:
Well I had to move the fridge the other day that was a piece of cake.

Well even a fridge thats full weighs sub 70kgs. Hardly powerlifting type weight ;-)

Last edited:

dogslife

Coach
I think we've crossed a line between bodybuilding and powerlifting (or something similar). If your sole purpose is to make mass strength gains, going for higher weights, for 1-3 reps will lead to solid strength gains. Euro Poly in one of the other forums you listed your stats, which given your size are pretty impressive, but you'd consider yourself a powerlifter yes? I can't imagine you being able to do those kinds of weights for 8-12 reps? If you're looking to get muscular, get bigger and look aesthetically pleasing then bodybuilding is your go, lifting weights that you can max out on by doing 8-12 reps. I think that's where the opinions of people vary for doing bodyweight exercises. Obviously doing bodyweight exercises isn't going to lead to any massive strength gains, but you can definately build a muscular physique and maintain strength by doing certain bodyweight exercises

Shorty

Staff member
LOL

And what do you think doing 150kg deadlifts is going to do?
Sure, makes you have great posture and strong legs...but you can do that with a simple wall squat.
Lifting that amount of weight (unless, as I said, you do heavy lifting for your job) is pretty pointless and is mostly a hobby or for your own happiness.

Let me ask you this? It's real good you can dead lift that but can you do an elbow lever, or a planche...how about a handstand push up or a one armed chin up?
All those require great strength and can only be progressed through body weight training.

People should know about the physiology behind fitness before doing things.

I wasn't taking pop shots about asking what "real world application" was, just saying if you are training purely for "real world application" the best training you could do is sit on your arse all day and get fat, as most ov us would do nothing but that if we didn't train anyway.

If you mean "functional" (again, still in that area ov lame terms that I refuse to put outside ov quotation marks) then heavy squat and deadlifts are as "functional" as you can get. The main muscles in the body that contribute to overall explosiveness with running, jumping etc (the glutes/hamstrings/general posterior chain) are strengthened best with heavy deadlifts and squats. A big factor in these abilities are pound-for-pound strength in those lifts (hence why most jump programs you see will recommend you deadlift/squat X amount ov times your bodyweight). The only way to get stronger is to continue to add resistance, good luck doing this with a wall squat (not to mention that the wall stabilizes you and takes a lot ov key muscles out ov play, you don't always have a wall to lean against when you're "applying yourself in the real world").

"People should know about the physiology behind fitness before doing things."

No they shouldn't. People overcomplicate things.

I did a plank once last year probably for the first time since rugby in school, with a 100kg person standing on my lower back/arse. Squats/deads brahs.

Shorty

Staff member
I wasn't taking pop shots about asking what "real world application" was, just saying if you are training purely for "real world application" the best training you could do is sit on your arse all day and get fat, as most ov us would do nothing but that if we didn't train anyway.

If you mean "functional" (again, still in that area ov lame terms that I refuse to put outside ov quotation marks) then heavy squat and deadlifts are as "functional" as you can get. The main muscles in the body that contribute to overall explosiveness with running, jumping etc (the glutes/hamstrings/general posterior chain) are strengthened best with heavy deadlifts and squats. A big factor in these abilities are pound-for-pound strength in those lifts (hence why most jump programs you see will recommend you deadlift/squat X amount ov times your bodyweight). The only way to get stronger is to continue to add resistance, good luck doing this with a wall squat (not to mention that the wall stabilizes you and takes a lot ov key muscles out ov play, you don't always have a wall to lean against when you're "applying yourself in the real world").
LOL I didn't realise people sprinted all the time in the real world.
You're ignorant and you look incredibly stupid to people who actually have knowledge of the human body and body mechanics in general.
Posterior chain? You do realise that's a pretty damn simple way of explaining it....have you ever dropped that line to a physio?

"People should know about the physiology behind fitness before doing things."

No they shouldn't. People overcomplicate things.

I did a plank once last year probably for the first time since rugby in school, with a 100kg person standing on my lower back/arse. Squats/deads brahs.
LOL Again.
Oh they shouldn't? Let me put a little scenario in your head.
Little Johnny wants to become big Johnny, so he works all the main muscles his friends and what have you say.
As in pecs, biceps, quads, delts and whatever else meatheads work out with.

Johnny works in an office, so he's already tight in his pecs but makes them more tight...and develops Kyphosis (look it up) but that doesn't matter because he feels like he's stronger and looks stronger.
Because Johnny doesn't give a sh*t about proper core stuff (that is..ACTUAL core muscles like TA) and works instead on his Rectus (which is already in flexion because..that's its job) and makes that even more tight...he puts increased stress on his spine which is as weak as all buggery because and here's the kicker....not ALL muscles are fast twitch and it's the ones that aren't fast twitch that commonly get f**ked up because he is too busy working the fast twitch muscles.

So Johnny ends up with a herniated disc...because his back in general is f**ked because he took no notice of it.

But, yeah, go ahead and flog your body...because you're only paying someone like me to fix it;-)
So yeah, unless you're an olympic weightlifter, heavy lifting isn't really necessary...sure if that makes you happy go for it.
But please don't try and argue with me about 'real world' the 'real world' muscles never get used and are weak in a large majority of people.

Last edited:
LOL I didn't realise people sprinted all the time in the real world.
You're ignorant and you look incredibly stupid to people who actually have knowledge of the human body and body mechanics in general.
Posterior chain? You do realise that's a pretty damn simple way of explaining it....have you ever dropped that line to a physio?

And you're a big mean bully.

But I feel I have a pretty good knowledge ov the body and biomechanics. I don't know how you could conclude my level ov knowledge from one small post?

Sprinting was just an example, I'm trying to get my head around this term "real world application". Obviously I was off on using sprinting after witnessing your crass response. As I said, if people trained for "real world application" they should just sit on their arse. You could get by these days without any sort ov physical output what-so-ever (and people do). Therefore it's pointless doing anything and you're out ov a job.

LOL Again.
Oh they shouldn't? Let me put a little scenario in your head.
Little Johnny wants to become big Johnny, so he works all the main muscles his friends and what have you say.
As in pecs, biceps, quads, delts and whatever else meatheads work out with.

Johnny works in an office, so he's already tight in his pecs but makes them more tight...and develops Kyphosis (look it up) but that doesn't matter because he feels like he's stronger and looks stronger.
Because Johnny doesn't give a sh*t about proper core stuff (that is..ACTUAL core muscles like TA) and works instead on his Rectus (which is already in flexion because..that's its job) and makes that even more tight...he puts increased stress on his spine which is as weak as all buggery because and here's the kicker....not ALL muscles are fast twitch and it's the ones that aren't fast twitch that commonly get f**ked up because he is too busy working the fast twitch muscles.

So Johnny ends up with a herniated disc...because his back in general is f**ked because he took no notice of it.

But, yeah, go ahead and flog your body...because you're only paying someone like me to fix it;-)

Wow what a horror story. I thought it went without saying that people should have a knowledge ov correct training principles, including stretching, avoiding muscular imbalances etc. There is still no need to know the physiology behind these principles. Knowing the physiology (unless, as I said, you're a physio for your job) is pretty pointless and is mostly a hobby or for your own happiness.

Anyway, I love how you tried to baffle me with such a basic level ov knowledge. One thing, I think you will find all muscles have some amount ov fast twitch fibres, don't know what medical journal you've been reading.