What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I give up weights and just do bodyweight exercise and not lose strength?

Shorty

Staff member
And you're a big mean bully.

But I feel I have a pretty good knowledge ov the body and biomechanics. I don't know how you could conclude my level ov knowledge from one small post?

Sprinting was just an example, I'm trying to get my head around this term "real world application". Obviously I was off on using sprinting after witnessing your crass response. As I said, if people trained for "real world application" they should just sit on their arse. You could get by these days without any sort ov physical output what-so-ever (and people do). Therefore it's pointless doing anything and you're out ov a job.
Well...I mean you don't if you're using such simple terms of posterior chains:?
Real world is job...you know office in front of the computer, or pretty much what everyone does which is has their arms in front and is bent over slightly.
Waitress, mechanics, tradies, chefs you name it.

So, you get things like Serratus Anterior and Lower/Middle Traps ridiculously weak and Pecs pulling the shoulders even more forward.
That's without taking weights into consideration, so you can see right there...if someone is uneducated about the body they're just going to go right in and do some damage.
So your view on the real world and people not needed to be educated in body mechanics are both off the mark.

Wow what a horror story. I thought it went without saying that people should have a knowledge ov correct training principles, including stretching, avoiding muscular imbalances etc. There is still no need to know the physiology behind these principles. Knowing the physiology (unless, as I said, you're a physio for your job) is pretty pointless and is mostly a hobby or for your own happiness.
It's not a 'horror story' it happens quite often because people have no knowledge of muscles and keep on overtraining until they tear something or damage something....why do you think manipulative therapists have a purpose?

But...as I've mentioned before...it's not as simple as avoiding muscular imbalances....if someone is working at an office job and then goes and pumps their chest (which is in just about every resistance training program) they're going to get imbalance...

Knowing the physiology is very important because you know it's the whole point you're doing exercise...

Anyway, I love how you tried to baffle me with such a basic level ov knowledge. One thing, I think you will find all muscles have some amount ov fast twitch fibres, don't know what medical journal you've been reading.
Um lol.
You do realise there's muscles in the body purely for power and muscles there for postural purpose?
I mean...if muscles all had the same amount of twitches in them...why would people have imbalances?

Last edited:
Nice edit.

So yeah, unless you're an olympic weightlifter, heavy lifting isn't really necessary...sure if that makes you happy go for it.
But please don't try and argue with me about 'real world' the 'real world' muscles never get used and are weak in a large majority of people.

Yeah, unless you're an olympic weightlifter OR ALMOST ANY OTHER SORT OV ATHLETE

When was I trying to argue with you? I should have quoted but most that post was directed at JW. But honestly, when was I trying to argue about this "real world" crap, I'm still trying to get a definition out ov someone. I have no idea what you are trying to refer to when you say "real world".

Shorty

Staff member
I meant Real World as in day to day, most people don't have the luxury of being an athlete.
But even athletes only do maximum strength for a set amount of time.
Anyway the point is different things apply to different people and Cliffhanger doesn't need to do 150kg deadlifts because that's not her goal.

Why do you say 'ov' instead of 'of'...that's a bit odd.

I meant Real World as in day to day, most people don't have the luxury of being an athlete.
But even athletes only do maximum strength for a set amount of time.
Anyway the point is different things apply to different people and Cliffhanger doesn't need to do 150kg deadlifts because that's not her goal.

Why do you say 'ov' instead of 'of'...that's a bit odd.

I can't be bothered replying to your last big post, especially seeing as you're a condescending douche. Let me guess, you're a first year student that just came across this stuff and are utilising every opportunity to spout this crap so everyone believes you're educated. Can't wait to see the athletes you help product when all you have them doing is wall squats and planks :lol:

As for this real world debacle, if you need to see a physio or need to train because you can't handle the physical stresses ov day-to-day life, you should take a good hard look at yourself in the mirror. But most people want to build muscle and be in shape so they can attract a desirable mate and have genetically fit offspring, in this case 150kg deadlifts are about as real world as you can get ;-)

As for OP, well, you obv missed my first post about that in this thread. It will probably come as a surprise to you what I said if you do read it. I just felt I had to chime in and say something when JW implied that heavy squats/deadlifts have no use outside ov the gym. Before you took us off on this ridiculous tangent.

Shorty

Staff member
No I'm not a first year student, that's just another thing you're wrong about, let me guess you're a guy who's been training for about 10 years and thinks he knows better than everyone else.

I don't care if I come across as condescending really, because I'm at least informative on what people do with mistakes..and ..I've pretty much outlined why JW was right....
And, it wasn't the exercises themselves it was 'weights'...so don't point at me for jumping off on tangents when you were the first to do it.

Last edited:
No I'm not a first year student, that's just another thing you're wrong about, let me guess you're a guy who's been training for about 10 years and thinks he knows better than everyone else.

I don't care if I come across as condescending really, because I'm at least informative on what people do with mistakes..and ..I've pretty much outlined why JW was right....

You must be a student though, right?

And no, you didn't. Because you and JW were talking about completely different things. JW thought that a deadlift is only applicable to something when you are picking something around the weight ov your max deadlift off the ground. You were talking about sitting in an office chair.

Shorty

Staff member
You must be a student though, right?
And what makes you say that?
And no, you didn't. Because you and JW were talking about completely different things. JW thought that a deadlift is only applicable to something when you are picking something around the weight ov your max deadlift off the ground. You were talking about sitting in an office chair.
LOL Oh dear, go back and re -read the thread, I think you're mistaken...
The whole point is, it's really great that you can lift heavy weights but it isn't really that important to everyday life (which I've said about a gazillion times).

And what makes you say that?

Your shitty attitude.

LOL Oh dear, go back and re -read the thread, I think you're mistaken...
The whole point is, it's really great that you can lift heavy weights but it isn't really that important to everyday life (which I've said about a gazillion times)

No shit, I know YOU were saying that. But this isn't about you.

Joker's Wild said:
Real world application would consist of scenarios that would actually have a better than remote chance of occuring outside the gym champ.

i.e. sprinting/jumping/pratically any explosive movement. But according to your definition ov real world that is moot. You two are obv on completely different wavelengths.

Shorty

Staff member
Your shitty attitude.
I think I've seen better reasoning on the Front Row:lol:
This is my general approach, I will call it when I see bullsh*t and yours...was...bullsh*t.
i.e. sprinting/jumping/pratically any explosive movement. But according to your definition ov real world that is moot. You two are obv on completely different wavelengths.
Ok...well good luck with that, but I think you will find we aren't.

Hooch

Juniors
All fair enough, tho I'm not convinced 150kg deadlifts will ensure genetically correct offspring.

Unless you were intending to successfully mate with a horse.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Um.....a 150 kg deadlift is pretty poor. Maybe if I had've deadlifted 200kg plus....yeah sure, I'd have some thing to be proud of. Of course, I never actually deadlifted apart from a one off.

Anyway, do you guys know that there are some jobs out there that require a lot of strength? I see it as a protection either way. Most of you guys see it as too much hard work.

I guess there is always marbles...

Joker's Wild

Coach

Mate, Shorty is pretty much saying what I was trying, and obviously failed, to get across but I think you know that and are choosing to take things a little to literally.

There is a reason that military PT has not changed a great deal over the last 50 odd years, with staples such as pushups, chinups, pack runs, etc providing the "functional fitness" (yes, I hate that term too) to move your body and kit around quickly. Lifting super heavy is just not practical nor necessary.

That to me is "real world application", not lifting 200kgs once.

BTW Im not saying powerlifting doesnt improve explosive movements but they are certainly not the only way to improve them.

My original gripe was against you saying that a heavy squat/deadlift has zero real world application, that still stands. It depends entirely on your definition ov tha ov course, in my eyes someone with "functional fitness" would be a well rounded athlete like a league player for example. Strong, fast, big, fit.

That to me is "real world application", not lifting 200kgs once.

Take someone who can lift 200kgs and put 100kgs on the bar. Observe how fast it moves/how many times they can move it. Just sayin'

Joker's Wild

Coach
My original gripe was against you saying that a heavy squat/deadlift has zero real world application, that still stands. It depends entirely on your definition ov tha ov course, in my eyes someone with "functional fitness" would be a well rounded athlete like a league player for example. Strong, fast, big, fit.

Take someone who can lift 200kgs and put 100kgs on the bar. Observe how fast it moves/how many times they can move it. Just sayin'

Yeah mate, all valid points.

Like I said, I probably failed to get my point across clearly but imo for someone who is anything other than a high level athlete or a weightlifter, being able to do 200kg+ deadlifts is not a requirement.

Cliffhanger

Coach
It's true most climbers don't do weights, in fact they refuse to train muscles which they don't use for climbing (like they won't do pushups or chin ups, only pull ups) but this results in them having small biceps and huge triceps and forearms and not only is it a ridiculous look but causes tendinitis in your elbows.

I care about my whole body being strong and by strong I don't necessarily mean able to lift huge weights but to be able to take to any sport very easily because all the muscles are developed and to prevent injuries.

Anyway my copy of "You are Your Own Gym" arrived so hopefully I learn some more awesome body weight exercises. The guy who wrote trains the military!!!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah mate, all valid points.

Like I said, I probably failed to get my point across clearly but imo for someone who is anything other than a high level athlete or a weightlifter, being able to do 200kg+ deadlifts is not a requirement.

Being able to deadlift 200kg plus in itself may not have much application beyond the gym. But a guy who can lift 200kg is going to be able to lift 50 or 60 kg much more easily than a guy who can only deadlift 120. And being able to move substantial weights around easily without tiring/straining yourself had a LOT of real world benefit, especially if you have a manual occupation. There's not such thing as being "too strong", pretty much everyone can benefit from strength training.

GuardDog

Juniors
Being able to deadlift 200kg plus in itself may not have much application beyond the gym. But a guy who can lift 200kg is going to be able to lift 50 or 60 kg much more easily than a guy who can only deadlift 120. And being able to move substantial weights around easily without tiring/straining yourself had a LOT of real world benefit, especially if you have a manual occupation. There's not such thing as being "too strong", pretty much everyone can benefit from strength training.

Correct SM at my peak condition I can do 1 rep of 220kg using the alternate grip without straps.On special jobs requiring to force a non compliant person out of a cell officers like myself were always designated shield carriers that always charged into the cell first.Having that explosive capability helped to push that non complying person into the wall to squash like a bug momentarily while the other team members did their part in taking him down.There are a lot of benefits I like from doing bodyweight circuit type workouts also.In my opinion its good to do a mixture of strength and conditioning workouts if possible.At the end of the day any exercise beats being on the couch all day getting fat.

Well said SM.

I friend ov mine who is an MMA fighter was telling me the top coaches in the UFC now are trying to get their athletes as strong as possible in the squat/bench/deadlift so that they can generate more force with less exhaustion. They have little guys throwing up some ridiculous numbers in there now: 2xBW bench, 3xBW deadlift etc. Plus being as conditioned as anyone. That's what I call "functional" athletic ability, yep :cool:

Cliffhanger

Coach
Well I still haven't been able to bring myself to give up weights, still doing bench with dumbbells, incline bench with dumbbells, decline bench with dumbbells, ohp with dumbbells, core rows, the ohp where you start in a squat position but with the barbell on your chest, wrist curls, reverse writst curls and tricep extensions.

But I have upped the intensity and amount of body weight exercises I do, goal is to do a full planche pushup by the end of the year.

melon....

Coach
I'm trying to maintain strength with my weight training, not increase how much I can lift etc.
Yes you can. a series of free excercises, like chin ups, push ups, and core strength excercices (planking, crunches) will ensure you maintain your strength. focus on fatigue and pushing past it, like you do with weights.

One other element to ensure your joints, muscles and ligaments stay tuned and strong - stretching regime. I got stronger doing free body weight exercies with light bells than when I used to lift heavy.