What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Melbourne Seriously Be Stopped in 2012?

Elektrik Shock

Juniors
I just found the most ridiculous stat, here's the NRL Top 10 Try Assist's after only 4 rounds: 1. Cooper Cronk (Melbourne) 8 2. Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers) 5 3. Terry Campese (Canberra) 5 4. Billy Slater (Melbourne) 4 5. Cameron Smith (Melbourne) 4 6. Gareth Widdop (Melbourne) 4 7. Matthew Bowen (North Queensland) 4 8. Shaun Johnson (Warriors) 4 9. Brett Morris (Dragons) 3 10. Feleti Mateo (Warriors) 3 Slater also leads the NRL in tries & line-breaks, while all 4 also are in the Top 10 in LB assists. I just found this amazing, has there ever been a more lethal spine, and i'm not try to be a smartarse but can any of you punters genuinely seeing anyone stopping this juggernaut in 2012? They are at another level this year. Thoughts?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
They were at another level last year aswell, only to be punted at the last hurdle by the team the Broncos belted by over 30 points.

LazyDreamer

Bench
I just found the most ridiculous stat, here's the NRL Top 10 Try Assist's after only 4 rounds: 1. Cooper Cronk (Melbourne) 8 2. Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers) 5 3. Terry Campese (Canberra) 5 4. Billy Slater (Melbourne) 4 5. Cameron Smith (Melbourne) 4 6. Gareth Widdop (Melbourne) 4 7. Matthew Bowen (North Queensland) 4 8. Shaun Johnson (Warriors) 4 9. Brett Morris (Dragons) 3 10. Feleti Mateo (Warriors) 3 Slater also leads the NRL in tries & line-breaks, while all 4 also are in the Top 10 in LB assists. I just found this amazing, has there ever been a more lethal spine, and i'm not try to be a smartarse but can any of you punters genuinely seeing anyone stopping this juggernaut in 2012? They are at another level this year. Thoughts?

Ian Schubert? :D

hitman82

Bench
They were at another level last year aswell, only to be punted at the last hurdle by the team the Broncos belted by over 30 points.

Warriors tend to do well against the Storm. If we make the semi finals and meet them again, that is likely where the Storm will be stopped.

Evenflow

Bench
Of course we can be stopped, IMO there's any of 5 legitimate contenders that can win this year. Those expected us to roll over meekly and get bundled out of the finals that way we did last year my be a bit disappointed though, we have a fair bit more starch up front this year and won't have to rely on the likes of Jaiman Lowe and Woolnough for muscle. That's not to say i think it's a given we'll go all the way, just that if we do bow out again early it certainly won't be without firing a shot like last year.

Card Shark

Immortal
Because they put their eggs into 3 baskets, if 1 goes down with major injury, they will be a different team.

Anything can happen....geez, if Cronk announces he's leavin, that might throw them off.

Rod

Bench
They are in great form, but they've played 3 below-average teams and should have been beaten by the Raiders.

I'm reserving judgment until they actually get into an armwrestle with a decent side.

2010Dragons

Bench
Storm will be stopped by Newcastle on Friday night.

Storm are the bench mark and will easily make the top 4 in 2012.

Drew-Sta

Staff member

Saints had 10 from 11 last year and heading into Origin people said much the same as you. I'd say we were playing even better footy than Melbourne are now.

It's Round 5 mate, take a cold shower and wait til Round 25 before you begin to make posts like this.

POPEYE

Coach
Any team can be stopped from winning the pissant cup . . . just a smidgen of bad luck, a touch of judiciary or even a knockback the night before.

Stopping a team from again being the best all year is a different thing.

LESStar58

Referee
Of course we can be stopped, IMO there's any of 5 legitimate contenders that can win this year. Those expected us to roll over meekly and get bundled out of the finals that way we did last year my be a bit disappointed though, we have a fair bit more starch up front this year and won't have to rely on the likes of Jaiman Lowe and Woolnough for muscle. That's not to say i think it's a given we'll go all the way, just that if we do bow out again early it certainly won't be without firing a shot like last year.

This.

How good is Vave! He's like a taller Jeff Lima. Hell, I'm even impressed with Ryles after being peetty skeptical about his recruitment.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
They were a few minutes away from being stopped in Round 1. So yes, they can be stopped.

They're a tough cookie to crack though.