What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Melbourne Seriously Be Stopped in 2012?

Elektrik Shock

Juniors
I was more so just amazed at the 20 combined try assists in 4 rounds by our spine, just ridiculous numbers. I'm certainly not declaring us certainties, but the early form/stats surely have you other clubs/fans concerned?

goosie

Juniors
too early just yet, but storm will definatly be playing finals footy and give it a good crack. newcastle, dragons, dogs will be there also.
dogs should finish 4-8 somewhere on the ladder.

eozsmiles

Bench
I just found the most ridiculous stat, here's the NRL Top 10 Try Assist's after only 4 rounds: 1. Cooper Cronk (Melbourne) 8 2. Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers) 5 3. Terry Campese (Canberra) 5 4. Billy Slater (Melbourne) 4 5. Cameron Smith (Melbourne) 4 6. Gareth Widdop (Melbourne) 4 7. Matthew Bowen (North Queensland) 4 8. Shaun Johnson (Warriors) 4 9. Brett Morris (Dragons) 3 10. Feleti Mateo (Warriors) 3 Slater also leads the NRL in tries & line-breaks, while all 4 also are in the Top 10 in LB assists. I just found this amazing, has there ever been a more lethal spine, and i'm not try to be a smartarse but can any of you punters genuinely seeing anyone stopping this juggernaut in 2012? They are at another level this year. Thoughts?

I'll wait and see how they are going around round 20 and look at how they've gone against the top sides. By the time the finals started last year, the Storm had been beaten by both eventual grand finalists. I reckon they will struggle if they lose a big name and they have been beating up the teams that are tipped to miss the finals. Looking forward to games against Broncos, Manly, Warriors (who beat them twice last year), etc

They look good but it is only March.

Billythekid

First Grade
I was more so just amazed at the 20 combined try assists in 4 rounds by our spine, just ridiculous numbers. I'm certainly not declaring us certainties, but the early form/stats surely have you other clubs/fans concerned?

We have really mostly faced the worst teams so far and beaten them easily. That doesn't say anything about how we will perform against the big teams.

Elektrik Shock

Juniors
But if we beat Parramatta, Tigers, Penrith and Cronulla people would be singing the same tune, like i've said you can only play whats infront of you. 3/4 of the comp are considered "crap" by LU, how are you supposed to gauge form, even these heavyweight teams people are mentioning like knights, dragons etc have looked ordinary in games this year.

azza29

Juniors
I'd say the benchmark will be how they do against the Cowboys next week, and then the Warriors on ANZAC day. Can only lose one of those if they're real contenders for the premiership.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
But if we beat Parramatta, Tigers, Penrith and Cronulla people would be singing the same tune, like i've said you can only play whats infront of you. 3/4 of the comp are considered "crap" by LU, how are you supposed to gauge form, even these heavyweight teams people are mentioning like knights, dragons etc have looked ordinary in games this year.

Every team has had their ordinary patches this year. Which is exactly why threads like this are idiotic.

You don't judge 4 rounds as a form guide for the season.

Elektrik Shock

Juniors
This thread was started more to marvel at the stats produced, something going seemingly and largely un-noticed. If another team had these stats I would be equally impressed, it just happens to be the team I support.

stormbati

Bench
This thread was started more to marvel at the stats produced, something going seemingly and largely un-noticed. If another team had these stats I would be equally impressed, it just happens to be the team I support.
Stats are great but a promising season can go down the drain in 80 minutes.
It wasnt a choke last season, we were beaten by a team that outplayed us.
Offloads and quick play the balls break up our structure in defense thats why teams like the Warriors will always trouble us. They're too powerful and we can't wrestle either.

Its great how we're playing at the moment but there's weaknesses in the side like anyone else.

Iafeta

Referee
One thing they need to be stopped at is Sika Manu dropping his knee into the back of the calf of attacking players in the ruck. He's a dog.

Firey_Dragon

Coach

Yet they've played only 1 team who is currently in the 8, and 3 from the bottom 5. Theres some stats to go with your stats. Stats are absolutely meaningless at this time of year. They've gone unnoticed because they're irrelevant.

Spot On

Coach
Well they have beaten three teams currently sitting in the bottom five and should have been beaten by the Raiders. A nice, easy start to the year. Form??? We will see.

Someone

Bench
Even if they go on to slay it this season and finish 1st, seasons past stats suggest only 5 from the past 14 minor premiers have gone onto win, and storm have won 4 minor premierships and only won 1 of those seasons (2007).

Then again past stats are just as useless as stats from march, but i think its worth considering that premerships arent won in any month other than october. Getting to sept will be the easy bit for melbourne providing injuries, but yes to answer your question they can be stopped.

Kiwi

First Grade
this is right up there with moffo's dogs of war thread. Nobody wins thetitle in round 5.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Some very favourable refereeing got you home over Canberra

Yes lets not forget they had literally a try awarded by the video referee that was clearly not a try and the NRL later said that the pass leading up to Fergusons no try was not forward.

And they claim they have won every game with ease lol.

Silly Storm supporters and the hubris.