What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can RL survive in australia without sydney?

When Ken Arthurson was in power they were moving towards the 'Bradley Plan' of only FIVE TEAMS IN SYDNEY. That is a fact. The rationalisation of teams in Sydney is NOT some sort of SL conspiracy. It is something the ARL has been looking at for TWENTY FIVE YEARS. Originally they looked at making a 'super league' of teams in QLD and NSW but NSW rejected it. If only the painful decisions were made then but we are all in a lose lose situation now.

so why didnt arko just accept news ltd then?

maybe arko had a plan to let 2 clubs die off by natural attrition (illawarra and wests)

the SL cowboys have cost us norths, with bamain / wests merged and saints / illawarra merged.

and they still want more clubs axed.

funny how before SL started getting rid of sydney teams, the game was so much stronger.

but hey if you think taking 15,000 fans from sydney and getting 15,000 in perth is progress, good on ya

Perth Red

Post Whore
Now come on Josh don't go shattering Dally's illusions. He has learnt to walk around with that chip on his shoulder for over a decade!

Parra

Referee
Attrition due to market forces is a lot different to secret deals. No-one really complained when Newtown went - it was their choice.

Even losing Balmain, Wests and Illawarra was their own doing.

Norths were shafted.

It seems wrong that Perth continue to pay for their greed and corruption, whilst the dogs, Sharks, Panthers etc continue unscathed. Just cop the company you keep.

j0nesy

Bench
1. 2010 - Introduce a Perth and an Adelaide team to the NRL, announce the creation of a 8 team premier division NRL competition to begin in 2012
2. 2011 - Set and announce minimum criteria for the premier NRL competition. For example 20,000 stadium, ability to spend atleast 5 mil per season on players, a junior development program, a major sponsor, 15K average crowds, etc.
3. 2012 - The top 8 teams from 2011, who meet the minimum criteria, qualify for the inaugural NRL premier league.

*The TV rights to all NRL premier league matches to be sold to the highest bidder.
*The TV rights to the top 3 NRL first division matches to be sold to the highest bidder
*The remainder of NRL 1st division matches to be televised on non-comercial FTA TV (i.e. SBS, ABC1 + ABC2)
* All takings from TV rights to be distributed evenly amongst all 18 clubs
* Top 2 1st division teams promote to the premier league
* Provide some mechanism for JB cup and QLD cup teams to promote to NRL 1st division. Perhaps a minimum criteria similar to, but slightly less strict than, the premier league criteria.

Last edited:
1. 2010 - Introduce a Perth and an Adelaide team to the NRL, announce the creation of a 8 team premier division NRL competition to begin in 2012
2. 2011 - Set and announce minimum criteria for the premier NRL competition. For example 20,000 stadium, ability to spend atleast 5 mil per season on players, a junior development program, a major sponsor, 15K average crowds, etc.
3. 2012 - The top 8 teams from 2011, who meet the minimum criteria, qualify for the inaugural NRL premier league.

*The TV rights to all NRL premier league matches to be sold to the highest bidder.
*The TV rights to the top 3 NRL first division matches to be sold to the highest bidder
*The remainder of NRL 1st division matches to be televised on non-comercial FTA TV (i.e. SBS, ABC1 + ABC2)
* All takings from TV rights to be distributed evenly amongst all 18 clubs
* Top 2 1st division teams promote to the premier league
* Provide some mechanism for JB cup and QLD cup teams to promote to NRL 1st division. Perhaps a minimum criteria similar to, but slightly less strict than, the premier league criteria.

:lol:

8 teams eh?

Foxsports have said less games, less money.

oops

j0nesy

Bench
:lol:

8 teams eh?

Foxsports have said less games, less money.

oops

Less money = no NRL for foxsports. We have a good product, let's not sell ourselves short, or be intimidated by FOX. There's still Sentata, ESPN, Channel 9, Channel 7, Channel 10, the competition is improving all the time. Foxsports would be crazy to cut off it's biggest cash cow - the NRL.

8 teams was just an arbitrary figure, perhaps 12 would be a better number.

adamkungl

Immortal
Personally I'm a fan of 18 after the next TV deal...20 at some point a couple of decades from now. that should cover every sensible place.

Teddyboy

First Grade
its the wealthiest city. it has the most valuable ads on TV. the most TV viewers. the most RL sponsors.

we could survive without the rest (newcastle and illawarra) included, the rest could not survive without us.

what SL showed was the game cant do without the sydney clubs for its prosperity

f**k off Newcastle is the biggset club in N.S.W. and Sydney.

20 - 22 teams
id go :

2012 - perth and another queensland club
2017 - central coast BEARS and NZ

then PNG and another queensland club

Attrition due to market forces is a lot different to secret deals. No-one really complained when Newtown went - it was their choice.

Even losing Balmain, Wests and Illawarra was their own doing.

Norths were shafted.

It seems wrong that Perth continue to pay for their greed and corruption, whilst the dogs, Sharks, Panthers etc continue unscathed. Just cop the company you keep.

Difference was in 1983,Newtown could not afford to pay its players.

big boppa eel

Juniors
It's inevitable, just a question of how long. Sydney seemingly CAN NOT continue to support so many clubs. it could when clubs had 20% of their incomes from pokies but that cash cow is drying up quick and there simply isn't enough people interested in watching RL live in Sydney for clubs to get their incomes up to those of non Sydney teams. We will soon have two comps anyway with most of the Sydney clubs struggling on 12mill income whilst a couple of Sydney teams and the rest are spenidng upto 20mill. When i heard some Sydney clubs where looking at playing home games in Brisbane the writing was on the wall!
Then I will be following the Sydney comp, not a hard decision.

big boppa eel

Juniors
the sydney clubs made RL great here.

we carried expansion teams even when they set up a rival competition.

we would be perfectly fine without any of those expansion clubs.

so if fans of those clubs want less sydney clubs, my solution is fine, have none and set up your own competition.

when that fails well take you back like we always do cause we want to see RL succeed.

but hopefully after TWO failed attempts at setting up a rival competition you will have learnt the lesson
Agreed, there will be 1 traditional comp, and one franchise comp, I know which one will have more substance. Out of towners really do underestimate the Sydney fans, do so at your own peril.

big boppa eel

Juniors
Evreything in the PAST tense Dally. It's the future of RL we need to look to. I know its the centenary year but nostalgia doesn't pay the bills.

There is plenty of room in the NSWRL cup for those NRL clubs that can't cut the mustard and at the moment the NSWRL had better get ready to expand by a few teams!
You seem very sure that the NSWRL will be the lesser comp :? I certainly wouldnt come out and support a Perth or Adelaide and so on if my team was cut it only common sense you support the comp which you team plays in after that you guys do as you please.

big boppa eel

Juniors
Exactly,
Cut teams at the peril of the NRL. Do you seriously think fans of the cut teams will just move on to support other clubs?
No they will support their teams in the NSWRL and/or support Union or AFL.
Spot on, if my team is cut I dont give a sh*t at what happens at the "elite" level.

big boppa eel

Juniors
I wouldn't like to see any Sydney team fail but I want to see a truly national competition, not the extended Sydney suburban competition we now have. That means less Sydney teams and that frees up franchises for expansion.
Are you a Bulldogs fan? oh hang on your a rugby league fan, give me a break.

The Reds got greedy and got what they deserved.

guess who is helping the reds today by covering part of their travel costs?

the ARL.

the same guys the club stabbed in the back in 1995

its why i said we always support expansion no matter what.

we think about the bigger picture rather than look for the short term, selfish answers.

RL is big enough sport to expand where we want to without killing off the clubs in the centre

a good leader would do that

Its hard to imagine now as well as back in the "War",how all these clubs that were invited to join,could turn their back on everyone who wanted them in the comp in the first place.