What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can RL survive in australia without sydney?

theres plenty of room for perth in the JBC if you keep that attitude up.

keep hoping the ARL supports your cause mate after news ltd left you high and dry.

the very same arl/nswrl that nurtured those sydney clubs

you arent going to get a club off the back off the misfortunes of someone else, so stop being like a tow truck driver hoping someone has an accident so they can benefit

Perth Red

Post Whore
nah, after Gallop's comments I've all but given up so will just now sit back and watch the NSWRL, oops the NRL continue to stagger from incompetence to indifference to obscurity. Just wish they'd change the name to ESRL (Eastern Seaboard RL) which would be far more acurate and honest.

the sydney clubs made RL great here.

we carried expansion teams even when they set up a rival competition.

we would be perfectly fine without any of those expansion clubs.

so if fans of those clubs want less sydney clubs, my solution is fine, have none and set up your own competition.

when that fails well take you back like we always do cause we want to see RL succeed.

but hopefully after TWO failed attempts at setting up a rival competition you will have learnt the lesson

you're hilarious

Brutus

Referee
we dont need expansion teams to survive, they need us to survive though.

if fans of expansion teams want less sydney clubs, my response is go and form your own competition and see how long it last and if anyone will pay for it.

a sydney centric comp with newcastle and wollongong would be very, very strong.

but sydney fans were more than happy to see our competition expand.

its a shame that once we let in clubs from other areas, fans from outside sydney were so greatful they wanted our clubs to leave.

Well Sydney clubs kept draining Queensland clubs of playing talent for years thanks to fists full of poker machine money, so it was only a matter of time before teams from "other areas" entered the comp.

The Broncos were a by-product of poker-machine fuelled poaching from Sydney clubs.

Well Sydney clubs kept draining Queensland clubs of playing talent for years thanks to fists full of poker machine money, so it was only a matter of time before teams from "other areas" entered the comp.

The Broncos were a by-product of poker-machine fuelled poaching from Sydney clubs.

and well conveniently ignore the broncos have their own poker machines as well then

sure poker machines helped RL in sydney, but that was well after the competition was already established and far stronger than anywhere anyway

souths never had much money from poker machines yet have won the most number of competitions

to say RL in sydney was the strongest and most successful because of them ignores around 60 years where they werent around and sydney was still the benchmark

Perth Red

Post Whore
No one can argue that NSW is the HISTORICAL heartland of RL, but that does little to convince that you have to have over saturation of clubs in the one city. Clearly Gallop believes you do so good luck to the NRL over the next decade in keeping up with the AFL and soccer.

AFL were not scared to realise that they had to reduce the saturation in one city and go National big time, NRL thinks that by "expanding" with another NSW and Q'land team whilst maintaining the staus quo in Sydney all will be well. Good luck to them, they are going to need it!

AFL still have 9 clubs in melbourne dont they?

why would i care about soccer or AFL.

i only worry about sports which are bigger than us.

as we are australian, ive got nothing to worry about as we are number 1.

sydney is the bedrock of RL. so it was in 1908, and it remains in 2008.

without us the game dies.

dannyboy

Juniors
AFL still have 9 clubs in melbourne dont they?

why would i care about soccer or AFL.

i only worry about sports which are bigger than us.

as we are australian, ive got nothing to worry about as we are number 1.

sydney is the bedrock of RL. so it was in 1908, and it remains in 2008.

without us the game dies.

Your forearms must be as big as Popeye's

Joker's Wild

Coach
As much as a bleeting wanker Dally is most of the time, Ive gotta say that he is pretty much correct in most of what he has said in this thread.

Expansion will be important for the future of Rugby League but doing it at the expense of the very loyal Sydney supporter base would be akin to suicide for the NRL.

dannyboy

Juniors
As much as a bleeting wanker Dally is most of the time, Ive gotta say that he is pretty much correct in most of what he has said in this thread.

Expansion will be important for the future of Rugby League but doing it at the expense of the very loyal Sydney supporter base would be akin to suicide for the NRL.

I was really responding to his "sydney is the bedrock of RL. so it was in 1908, and it remains in 2008" soap-box type comment.

I agree that some of his posts are good and that killing of league teams in Sydney is suicidal for the competition and I see it as an open invitation for AFL...shudder shudder.

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
The two next sides admitted need to be the W.A Reds and the Central Coast Bears. By admitting Perth once more, we plant a seed in the west from which we can grow a steady foothold. If the Force can get a crowd, we could pull double that for the Reds. This will appease the people who are talking up expansion without regard for the Sydney clubs. From Perth to Auckland, our game is covered.

By letting the Bears re-enter the comp in Gosford, we do what should have been done 10 years ago. We expand to a rich junior league area, while at the same time appeasing the traditionalists who bemoan the death of Sydney clubs. Rugby League is covered from North Sydney to Wyong once more, and disgruntled Bears fans will return. Not to mention the return of a foundation club to the NRL, albeit in slightly altered form. They could still play a game or two at NSO every year.

good post.

mostly :lol:

I was really responding to his "sydney is the bedrock of RL. so it was in 1908, and it remains in 2008" soap-box type comment.

I agree that some of his posts are good and that killing of league teams in Sydney is suicidal for the competition and I see it as an open invitation for AFL...shudder shudder.

thats my point though.

i just frustrated that people havent learnt from the SL war.

the game has been f**ked once already, we are now back on our feet again.

and now people want the whole thing to happen again?

im all for expansion, but not at the cost of sydney teams.

some fans of expansion teams sound like they are eager for sydney teams to fail so others can cash in

thats a pathetic attitude.

i dont want to see any RL club fail, even the roosters :lol:

The two next sides admitted need to be the W.A Reds and the Central Coast Bears. By admitting Perth once more, we plant a seed in the west from which we can grow a steady foothold. If the Force can get a crowd, we could pull double that for the Reds. This will appease the people who are talking up expansion without regard for the Sydney clubs. From Perth to Auckland, our game is covered.

By letting the Bears re-enter the comp in Gosford, we do what should have been done 10 years ago. We expand to a rich junior league area, while at the same time appeasing the traditionalists who bemoan the death of Sydney clubs. Rugby League is covered from North Sydney to Wyong once more, and disgruntled Bears fans will return. Not to mention the return of a foundation club to the NRL, albeit in slightly altered form. They could still play a game or two at NSO every year.

the nrl has talked down perth, it will more likely be brisbane / queensland and central coast.

bringing back the bears on the central coast would be a massive boost for the game.

not only do we get the central coast as our territory, but we also regain the north shore as well

2 games a year at NSO would be massive, especially the derby game vs manly

Perth Red

Post Whore
the nrl has talked down perth, it will more likely be brisbane / queensland and central coast.

Which is exactly why I have seriously changed my opinion and now consider the NRL and its Sydneycentric thinking deserves whatever it gets. It's not spitting the dummy it's just a final realisation that whatever the WARL do the NRL has no money, vision or strategy to take the game beyond what we have already and that, quite clearly, isn't close to what it could be.

Which is exactly why I have seriously changed my opinion and now consider the NRL and its Sydneycentric thinking deserves whatever it gets. It's not spitting the dummy it's just a final realisation that whatever the WARL do the NRL has no money, vision or strategy to take the game beyond what we have already and that, quite clearly, isn't close to what it could be.

sydney people didnt choose news ltd to run the game, or at least the majority of us didnt.

get the ARL back in charge and youll have your club

joshreading

Staff member
The garbage that continaually spews out of here is ridiculous - RL MADE SYDNEY TEAMS GREAT - NOT Vice Versa.

I actually said RL would survive without expansion BUT IT WON"T THRIVE!!! That is a fact, without increased TV Money, Sydney People (WHO ARE NOT THE SAME PEOPLE THAT SUPPORT the SAINTS IN THE 50's) will slowly move to other pursuits because their kids will increasingly play other sports. Their imaginations will be captured by stages that are bigger than South V Rabbitohs.

Expansion nationally and Internationally is a need, we don't have the advantage of a 'nationalistic identity' for RL even though it is rooted in our history. This is a globalism issue and no amount of bra burning will change the fact that world is becoming increasingly connected and global in every pursuit.

I have not said to cut teams but to ignore places such as Perth, 2nd NZ and SQ is to our peril. It is arrogance and ignorance that says that history will pay the bills. Can someone please get the CEO of Glebe for me? In our history was the Line out, the maul, 15 men aside but we have changed. History is important, but your sydney teams history should not get in the road of the development of a new history in Perth.

It frankly is OPPOSED to EVERYTHING RL is, to refuse the opportunity to expand and innovate. Such attitude and action is more akin to the traditional union ranks.

Last edited:

barney gumble

Juniors
Cut the NRL down to 3-4 Sydney teams and watch the NSWRL comp in Sydney become a stronger comp than the NRL.

Not a bad idea at all.

Exactly,
Cut teams at the peril of the NRL. Do you seriously think fans of the cut teams will just move on to support other clubs?
No they will support their teams in the NSWRL and/or support Union or AFL.