What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can RL survive in australia without sydney?

Knight87

Juniors
guess who is helping the reds today by covering part of their travel costs?

the ARL.

the same guys the club stabbed in the back in 1995

its why i said we always support expansion no matter what.

we think about the bigger picture rather than look for the short term, selfish answers.

RL is big enough sport to expand where we want to without killing off the clubs in the centre

a good leader would do that

Exactly right, dallymessenger. No truer words have ever been spoken. The Reds were initially an ARL team (when brought into the comp in 1995), but even with good crowd attendances they were getting and good support, they turned around and stabbed the ARL in the back. What I want to know is what would've happened to the Reds, if they remained with the ARL and not jump boat to Super League?

Exactly right, dallymessenger. No truer words have ever been spoken. The Reds were initially an ARL team (when brought into the comp in 1995), but even with good crowd attendances they were getting and good support, they turned around and stabbed the ARL in the back.

and they helped f**k RL

now their fans and many others want to do it again.

Which is exactly why I have seriously changed my opinion and now consider the NRL and its Sydneycentric thinking deserves whatever it gets. It's not spitting the dummy it's just a final realisation that whatever the WARL do the NRL has no money, vision or strategy to take the game beyond what we have already and that, quite clearly, isn't close to what it could be.

hmmmm please dont be discouraged, perth red.

perth will have their day.

heres a comment by a pommie, harry edgar in Seasons in the Sun : a rugby revolution :

"(i felt) excitement at what the murdoch deal and the SL concept could do for the game in europe against anger and despair at what "bloody super league" was doing to tear the game apart - the oh so vibrant game - in australia ..."

"the sacrifice of my long time favourite aussie club north sydney, and also for a gut-wrenching couple of years, south sydney, before the sheer weight of public opinion forced them to be taken back, the loss of a great name like Balmain and the waste of all the ARLs years of development work in perth"

a guy on the other side of the world knows whats better for our game than many locals.

Yep.

I do remember one shining light in the super league war. Kerry Beaustead sp? resigning from his position at North Queensland on principle.

yeah that was good.

and the knights winning in 97 and fattys boys during winning origin after wayne bennett walked out on them, saying it was a farce, they had no chance.

id still give that all back and have 1995 though

drake

First Grade
Can you imagine AwFuL sh*tting on Melbourne the way the NRL sh*ts on Sydney?

No, they aren't stupid, they know who butters their bread.

Go ahead, have your 'national' comp at the expense of Sydney teams. Shoehorn in a few more franchises that every other club has to carry a la Melbourne. Create 4 Sydney teams noone feels any tie to, and then say "Look Sydney people don't care about Rugby League".
If St George are relegated to NSWRL, and some new abomination called the "Southern Dragonsharks with bunny ears" takes over our spot in the National comp, I'll be watching NSWRL at the park, thank you very much.

joshreading

Staff member
Dally - NOW READ MY WORDS - slowly if you must - I hated Super League as well.

The Western Reds were already on their knees financially and had asked to NOT field a reserves side but were denied. They were then promised an opportunity no cash strapped club could afford to reject. FULL FUNDING. The ARL DID NOT give that (pity they did not see the potential and step in then). In actual fact, the ARL had made teams FORCE their way into the comp ever since the Raiders were forced to pay for ALL travel in Canberra for Sydney teams. If the NSWRL had their easy ''expansion" we would've had another Sydney team in campbelltown team instead of the Raiders.

The present WA Reds has NOTHING to do with the past and EVERYTHING to do with the FUTURE. If we as a sport are stupid enough to reject the potential of over TWO MILLION people that have shown they are willing to try their hand at different sports, that have the BIGGEST RL nursery outside of NSW/QLD in Australia then in this competitive world we have a near death wish for our sport.

I have NOT ONCE said to cut the Sydney teams, I only highlight the FACT that the ARL wanted to do it.

After bashing the Reds you then give some sort of lip by saying bring them in. What a joke, your opinions on English RL are laughed at normally on Totalrl and your near sighted opinions on the virtual sacred nature of Sydney only makes you ironically look like a flatcapper (as the english would say)

If Sydney clubs cannot survive due to expansion then that is on the backs of their fans and corporates. EVERY company, even religion, philosophy, idea has expanded beyond its heartland WELL before its TOTAL acceptance in an area. It is expansion of ANYTHING that ultimately enables heartland security. And if the heartland still struggles then the rest still has an opportunity to survive.

Just imagine if RL in England wanted to shore up its dominant position before allowing expansion to those colonies. RL would still not be the top in England and Australia would be covered by the AFL today.

Honestly I am becoming embarrassed at the imbred perspective of RL fans these days, people on here are like the Pauline Hanson's of the RL world.

Last edited: