What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can RL take over from RU in NZ?

Chook Norris

First Grade
eh i doubt it, the All blacks dominate a lot don't they?

but i read somewhere that interest in RU is dropping or something

it would be great if RL could take over, but maybe in a few decades...

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The gap between them will lessen but as long as the All Blacks are embedded into the culture then union will always be on tops over there imo.

roughyedspud

Coach
if RL is able to topple union in the only country in the world where its the national sport, that would be very worrying for our rival rugby code.

it's the national sport of wales too..

but i agree with leaguexiii, it does'nt need to overtake union,just grow....having a proper national league would be a start...not a 2nd NRL side

screeny

Bench
Define 'national sport'. I'd say in Wales participation numbers in football are much more than in rugby.

As for NZ, RL will take over in the Pac first then slowly slowly in NZ. Then RU will change its rules so it becomes RL...then I'm not sure who'll have won and who'll have lost, us or the pigs?

roopy

Referee
Pretty hard to knock over 100+ years of tradition, but the Islander communities in Auckland and Sydney have taken to League with a passion and it is rapidly spreading back to the Islands, so i can see League overtaking Union everywhere in the Pacific except NZ within 10 years.
A team in Wellington made up largely of Islanders would accelerate that process.

ozbash

Referee
For league to move ahead here, it has to look ahead.
Not look behind at what union is doing.

We have to stop comparing the success of different codes and concentrate on our own, then the success will come.

Te Kaha

First Grade
http://www.nzherald.co.nz:80/section/4/story.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10506478

posted by Russ 13.

a second nrl side in NZ would only see the game grow from strength to strength.

if RL is able to topple union in the only country in the world where its the national sport, that would be very worrying for our rival rugby code.

Participation and viewer numbers are falling in ALL sports, this article is about the nzrfu trying to sort it out and do something about it

As for NZ, RL will take over in the Pac first then slowly slowly in NZ. Then RU will change its rules so it becomes RL...then I'm not sure who'll have won and who'll have lost, us or the pigs?
your are deluded as much as you are demented... Rugby is not changing its rules to that of league.

League doesn't need to takeover, it needs to grow and make the gap smaller.
someone in the thread with sense, you look after your own back yard and the rest will take care of itself

For league to move ahead here, it has to look ahead.
Not look behind at what union is doing.

We have to stop comparing the success of different codes and concentrate on our own, then the success will come.

I wish more in here saw this sense

TV numbers for RL in NZ are fine.

its only the S14 that has experienced this massive drop in viewers.

looking at the article TV rights for S14 could fall by a lot, or at best stay stable.

the next NRL TV deal is looking at another massive increase which will mean money for a 2nd NRL side in nz and also a much larger salary cap.

once the salaries in RL are above those of RU, you will see lots of All Blacks leave union for the NRL.

once that happens, you will see RL catching on fairly quickly.

S14 was partly introduced to protect RU in NZ from the Auckland Warriors. the failure of the sport to deliver adequate ratings in the massive eastern TV markets spells a dire future for union, especially with soccer taking many of unions fans away in oz.

screeny

Bench
your are deluded as much as you are demented... Rugby is not changing its rules to that of league.
Why do you feel the need to be rude? I don't get people who aim to be rude on message boards, it's very poor form.

Anyway, I said 'RU will then change its rules', not has changed its rules.

roughyedspud

Coach
i saw an interview with one of the bosses of the IRB a few months ago and he was talking about the new laws they've brought into union to help speed it up and he felt the need to say that it was'nt done to make union more like league...

:lol:

Te Kaha

First Grade
TV numbers for RL in NZ are fine.
No they arent, the NRL is on Sky sport 2, Only about 45% of the population have sky, of that only 60% have Digital. On free to air the only game that is played is th Warriors and that is late at night. The treament of League is shabby to say the least. Do you think they would do that if it rated as well as you seem to think?
its only the S14 that has experienced this massive drop in viewers.
No, sorts viewing is in decline all across the board. The play station generation is now one of the key demographics and they arent watching sport.
looking at the article TV rights for S14 could fall by a lot, or at best stay stable.
And thats what was said about the deal last time by TFC regulars. they were wrong then too.
the next NRL TV deal is looking at another massive increase which will mean money for a 2nd NRL side in nz and also a much larger salary cap.
The usual Australian self interest will ensure theat there isnt another NZ team in the near future. The Reds will be next and that will be it for a long time.
once the salaries in RL are above those of RU, you will see lots of All Blacks leave union for the NRL.
once that happens, you will see RL catching on fairly quickly.
That is so much bullsh*t its not funny. Dan Carter has been offered 1.7mil to play in France for a year. wil the NRl be able to match that???
S14 was partly introduced to protect RU in NZ from the Auckland Warriors. the failure of the sport to deliver adequate ratings in the massive eastern TV markets spells a dire future for union, especially with soccer taking many of unions fans away in oz.
Thats opinion, not fact. In my opinion Rugby will come back and be fine. League in this country is in the toilet. It too will come back and be fine.
Why do you feel the need to be rude? I don't get people who aim to be rude on message boards, it's very poor form.
Anyway, I said 'RU will then change its rules', not has changed its rules.
And calling anybody associated with Rugby a pig isnt being rude??

No they arent, the NRL is on Sky sport 2, Only about 45% of the population have sky, of that only 60% have Digital. On free to air the only game that is played is th Warriors and that is late at night. The treament of League is shabby to say the least. Do you think they would do that if it rated as well as you seem to think?

No, sorts viewing is in decline all across the board. The play station generation is now one of the key demographics and they arent watching sport.

And thats what was said about the deal last time by TFC regulars. they were wrong then too.

The usual Australian self interest will ensure theat there isnt another NZ team in the near future. The Reds will be next and that will be it for a long time.

That is so much bullsh*t its not funny. Dan Carter has been offered 1.7mil to play in France for a year. wil the NRl be able to match that???

Thats opinion, not fact. In my opinion Rugby will come back and be fine. League in this country is in the toilet. It too will come back and be fine.

And calling anybody associated with Rugby a pig isnt being rude??

please show me a link where RL ratings have fallen by 22% like unions has.

if im wrong fine, but right now thats just BS. what ive read is that unions numbers have fallen, but the league is doing quite well, outrating the S14 on some occasions.

the warriors crowds and ratings are quite good.

last time round Sanzar offered many more games to keep the S14 contract from falling, a tactic theyll use again. this wont help when the nrl salary cap goes up by a lot and the warriors can pay much more money whilst unions money is stagnant.

oh i agree european union clubs will raid nz, this will only weaken the local competition. but a more cashed up NRL will also be in a position to play a part too.

david gallop has said wellington, central coast and perth are all being looked at for future expansion.

a 2nd strong nrl side in nz would see RL start to reach critical mass in nz