What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone tell me why....

.... Sydney City Roosters mascot is a Rooster?

Because Cockfighting is Illegal in Australia. Is'nt that misleading to Non- RL public.

aids

Bench
chemicalbrother said:

Because Cockfighting is Illegal in Australia. Is'nt that misleading to Non- RL public.

do they have a french connection?
they share the tri-color, andthe french mascot is a rooster as well?

aids said:
chemicalbrother said:

do they have a french connection?
they share the tri-color, andthe french mascot is a rooster as well?

Well other RL like to take the Piss (wee means Yes in French) out of the rooster

Tidus_Raider

Bench
On a serious note can someone tell me why they are always referred to as the Sydney Roosters or Roosters and never 'Sydney'? Even on the ladder in the papers and online they are never called Sydney.

macavity

Referee
the sun rising in the east is met by the crow of the cock.

could have something to do with it also.

they are never referred to as Sydney because they represent a miniscule part of Sydney...?

t-ba

Post Whore
They lifted it from Puig Alberts Touring sides in the 1950's. Before that, they were the "Tri-colours".

They aren't referred to as "Sydney" because they aren't. Balmain and Canterbury have already tried to claim that title but they failed. Easts will too.

Dogboy

Juniors
As well as copying the mascot of the all-conquering French tourists of the 1950s, the copied the jersey. The main jersey they wear today is still very similar to the French jersey, before that they wore the red, white and blue hoops that they currently wear a few times a year.

And they rarely get called Sydney because until 1995 they were Eastern Suburbs, and a lot of people still think of them in that way.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I believe in the coming years (hopefully sooner rather than later) both sides will drop their nefound tags and return to the original Canterbury and Eastern Suburbs tags. The Roosters are only showing supreme arrogance (which is seemingly ignored anyway) by using "Sydney" and the Dogs are being nomadic idiots IMO not having a location as such.

We can only hope...

chemicalbrother said:

I've seen some dumb Rooster bashing on these boards by you kids -- but this takes the cake! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bubs

Juniors
I thought the mascot was a Rooster because there have never been a bigger bunch of whinging co*ks on and off a RL field than their team.

TheEye

Juniors
Thunderstruck said:
funny that the roosters' official website says they lifted the colors and jersey out of an england touring side.

it does? where?

From memory I think the original 1908 hoops were from an english team and the revised jumper based on the French touring team.

Southernsaint

Staff member
TheEye said:
Thunderstruck said:
funny that the roosters' official website says they lifted the colors and jersey out of an england touring side.

it does? where?

From memory I think the original 1908 hoops were from an english team and the revised jumper based on the French touring team.

I was reading somewhere earlier int he week that the 1908 Easts jersey colours & design were taken from the Easts Rugby Union team...

t-ba

Post Whore
Imho, Easts should go back to "Sydney City".

I think the word "Suburbs" should be stricken from the record!

As for the Jersey...

rl1908.com said:
Easts were founded at a meeting held at Paddington Town Hall on January 24 1908, continuing the use of the red, white and blue colours of the local rugby union club they left behind. Their jersey colours and design were styled on the playing strip of the 1899 Great Britain RU team to Australia.

The club changed its playing strip away from the hoops to a V style modelled on the popular and entertaining French teams (who also wore red, white and blue) that visited Australia in the '50s and '60s. Easts also became known as 'the roosters' once the new jerseys took the field - according to the players it was because of the cock badge on the French jersey.