What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we win the final?

Schillaci

Juniors
Do you think we have what it takes to win the championship? If Joey is fit anything can happen but I don't believe we have the foward power that the likes of canterbury Bankstown have or the speed in the backs that the Melbourne Storm have. I believe we'll go close though.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
I think we'll be there the week before the final. May even go close to winning that. But you never know in finals football.

~Z~

Juniors
If anyones attack can get thru melbourns defence, its ours. Providing we get that far, yeh id back us for the win, if we play 80 miniute games in the finals. Thats a big if unfortunatly

antbytes

Juniors
There's a kids' song called "Feather, Fur or Fins."

Since origin 3 we've faced them all. Each game showed an improving part of our game; bunnies - luck, gummies - defence, feather dusters - attack.

The only other games were:

We should have beaten the drizzle at Marathon - no luck !

The slimies were too good - they were peaking - noone would have beat them that night. But, their bubble will burst has it has for teams that have peaked too early in the past (including the Eels 2001 campaign).

As far as the other contenders go...

Flogged the puppies earlier in the season when we were running hot. There's no reason, given we have the form on the board come the finals, we can't do it again. Once again - get on top early and stay there !

The chip stealers are the dark horse, the umbrella defence tactic worked at brooky (when we were out of sorts) - do it again !

One of the Dragons breathed on their balloon (again) and the puncture repair kit just ain't good enough !

Like the slimies, the rowing team have peaked - will make the 8 but as Porky Pig used to say, That's all folks !"

As far as the others go - good luck to 'em, book your flights to Hawaii !

~bedsy~

First Grade
There's no reason why Newcastle can't win it. They need more work on 80 min defence and ball control, if they improve in those area's then yes.

roopy

Referee
In 2001 we had Marquet, O'Brien and Peden all playing out the last games of very long careers - and all three produced the form of their lives.

This year we have Smith, Davico and Matt Gidley having one last tilt at Glory - not to mention Johns having what may be his last finals series.

If we make the final series with all those guys fit - we will be hard to beat.

Johns Magic

Referee
roopy said:
In 2001 we had Marquet, O'Brien and Peden all playing out the last games of very long careers - and all three produced the form of their lives.

This year we have Smith, Davico and Matt Gidley having one last tilt at Glory - not to mention Johns having what may be his last finals series.

Davico?

jamesgould

Juniors
roopy said:

O'Brien was with us in 2002.

Kazaf

Juniors
chinorocks said:
We better be there I bought tickets yesterday.

Hahha what happens if newcastle wont make it?
I'm still deciding whether to buy tickets, but I wouldnt want to go if newcastle doesnt make it!

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Realistically, it would be best for the club if we didn't win this year. Joey's already talking about ending his career in Warrington - a premiership at this stage in his career would probably just about wrap things up for him in the NRL, and I doubt he'd be motivated next season if he even decided to continue. The temptation would be to leave on a high, as he did in the Anzac Test earlier this year and SOO 2005. It'd be much better for the club in the long run if he didn't get the send out he wants - at least, not yet.

Bicey_18

Bench
ShadesOfTheSun said:
Realistically, it would be best for the club if we didn't win this year. Joey's already talking about ending his career in Warrington - a premiership at this stage in his career would probably just about wrap things up for him in the NRL, and I doubt he'd be motivated next season if he even decided to continue. The temptation would be to leave on a high, as he did in the Anzac Test earlier this year and SOO 2005. It'd be much better for the club in the long run if he didn't get the send out he wants - at least, not yet.

I disagree... We have a huge shot here of taking out the title and the boys will do everything and anything to make sure that the title is ours by end season. Whenever we have a chance to take the title... we will take it! I havent heard of Joey wanting to finish in Warrington... news to me. Every year he plays, Joey is motivated so that wont be a problem

2007, Joey's motivation will be to defend the crown in which no one has done since brisbane back in 92/93...

Bicey_18

Bench
Just wondering if Newcastle take out the title this year... if the Crusade will look into going to England for the WCC next year? It would definently be an experience.

cram

Bench
Bicey_18 said:
Just wondering if Newcastle take out the title this year... if the Crusade will look into going to England for the WCC next year? It would definently be an experience.

Very true but I imagine the catch phrase will be "...where did ya get the money for that????"....lol

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Bicey_18 said:
I disagree... We have a huge shot here of taking out the title and the boys will do everything and anything to make sure that the title is ours by end season. Whenever we have a chance to take the title... we will take it! I havent heard of Joey wanting to finish in Warrington... news to me. Every year he plays, Joey is motivated so that wont be a problem

2007, Joey's motivation will be to defend the crown in which no one has done since brisbane back in 92/93...
Johns spoke about going back to Warrington in a Daily Telegraph article earlier last week. I think you've missed my point, though - I think this is a excellent opportunity to grab a premiership. I also think, though, that in the long term the club will benefit more if the boys just fall short.

You can say Johns has never had a problem with motivation in previous years, yet he's definitely struggled in this one. Earlier in the year, before the bye, he was talking about being 'tired' and commented that he couldn't wait for the break. It hasn't really been until last week that he's been pumped and playing with enthusiasm again. How much worse do you think that'd be next year, if the Knights snag the premiership?

Newcastle stands to gain a lot more by having him back next year hungry and desperate to clinch one last title before his career ends, then it does from having him get one now, two years before his contract ends.

chinorocks

Juniors
ShadesOfTheSun said:
Johns spoke about going back to Warrington in a Daily Telegraph article earlier last week. I think you've missed my point, though - I think this is a excellent opportunity to grab a premiership. I also think, though, that in the long term the club will benefit more if the boys just fall short.

You can say Johns has never had a problem with motivation in previous years, yet he's definitely struggled in this one. Earlier in the year, before the bye, he was talking about being 'tired' and commented that he couldn't wait for the break. It hasn't really been until last week that he's been pumped and playing with enthusiasm again. How much worse do you think that'd be next year, if the Knights snag the premiership?

Newcastle stands to gain a lot more by having him back next year hungry and desperate to clinch one last title before his career ends, then it does from having him get one now, two years before his contract ends.

That is ridiculous. We have a good shot at winning this year and you think we'd be better off not winning. Have you been drinking??? Next year we have no Carney, Matt Gidley, Quinn or Lowrie, we've replaced them with 2 bums and a has been and you think we'd be better off not winning this year??? Give me some of whatever your smoking.

Latest posts