What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra Raiders vs Brumbies charity cricket match.

Copa

Bench
I'm sure I heard the local radio say it is to be held on the West Belconnen leagues club's cricket field.

thickos

First Grade
Canberra’s favourite footy teams launch appeal

21/01/05: It’s the game every Canberra footy fan has been waiting for. It’s the Raiders versus the Brumbies … league versus union … and it’ll take place on a cricket pitch!

The Canberra Raiders and Brumbies Rugby launched the HOWZAT! Cross-Code Charity Appeal today, which the two clubs are aiming to make an annual event.

This year’s cricket match will be held at West Belconnen Leagues Club in Kippax on Tuesday, February 1, with all funds raised going towards the Asian Tsunami Relief.

The 20-overs-a-side match will have modified rules, to ensure plenty of runs and entertainment for the crowd. Selected players will also be wearing ‘microphones’ for running commentary.

A load of Canberra and national sporting identities have already confirmed their attendance, ranging from Olympic gold medalists to world-class cricketers. Some have volunteered to jump in on the action for a few overs.

There will be autograph tents for fans to meet their favourite players and guest celebrities. Brumbies and Raiders merchandise and memberships will be available, with 10 per cent of sales going to charity.

“I don’t think the quality will be as good as we saw in the Rest of the World game recently, but I’m sure there’ll be plenty of fun,” said Raiders fullback Clinton Schifcofske.

Brumbies captain Stirling Mortlock was pleased Canberra’s two leading football teams could combine for such good cause.

“It’s great to be teaming up with the Raiders. The players get on very well together, but I’m sure once we get out on the pitch the competitive juices will start flowing.”

The two clubs named their squads today and there is plenty of cricket talent on the two teams. Brumbies halfback George Gregan was a star schoolboy cricketer, while Raiders forward Matt Adamson opened the batting with Adam Gilchrist in the NSW U17s.

Entry is by donation and Oxfam has put its support behind the event. Gates open at 3.30pm for a 4.30pm start.

RAIDERS

1. MATT ELLIOTT
2. SIMON WOOLFORD
3. PHIL GRAHAM
4. MATT ADAMSON
5. JASON CROKER
6. TODD CARNEY
7. LINCOLN WITHERS
8. RYAN O’HARA
9. CLINTON SCHIFCOFSKE
10. TROY THOMPSON
11. KRIS KAHLER
12. MATT GAFA
13. BRONX GOODWIN
14. ALAN TONGUE
15. ADAM MOGG

BRUMBIES

1. STIRLING MORTLOCK
2. MATT GITEAU
3. GEORGE GREGAN
4. JEREMY PAUL
5. RADIKE SAMO
6. MARK CHISHOLM
7. TAMAITI HORUA
8. JOEL WILSON
9. HENARI VERATAU
10. JULIAN SALVI
11. PATRICK PHIBBS
12. DAVID PALAVI
13. PETER OWENS
14. GENE FAIRBANKS
15. TATAFU NAU

from http://www.raiders.com.au

thickos

First Grade
ACT pitch invasion as codes clash for charity
By John-Paul Moloney Cricket
Saturday, 22 January 2005

Matt Elliott rates himself a left-arm bowler, Matt Giteau wants Michael Clarke's Test spot and Clinton Schifcofske admits he's a bunny with the bat.

What's hype and what's modest understatement will be known on February 1 when the ACT Brumbies and the Canberra Raiders contest a tsunami appeal fund-raising cricket match at West Belconnen Leagues Club.

Raiders fullback Schifcofske faced some gentle lobs from the media at the launch of the match yesterday, watched from behind an imaginary set of stumps by Brumbies skipper Stirling Mortlock.

"I dont think the quality will be as good as we saw in the Rest of the World game recently, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of fun," Schifcofske said.

"It's only a small community Canberra and it's great to be able to get both the Raiders and the Brumbies together for a terrific cause."

The pair announced their 15-man squads for the 20-over match, with both line-ups boasting a few potential dangermen.

For the Raiders coach Elliott, prop Matt Adamson and five-eighth Todd Carney all boast impressive cricketing CVs.

Not to be outdone with the leather and willow, the Brumbies have also produced a formidable attack.

The Brumbies' strongest include Wallaby captain George Gregan, who played junior representative cricket, Joel Wilson and, according to Mortlock, self- proclaimed star Matt Giteau.

"He's got the fancy hair-do similar to Michael Clarke, he does a lot of things similar to Michael Clarke and I he likes to think he plays as well as him too," Mortlock said of Giteau.

"We'll have to wait and see how the kid performs under pressure on February 1."

Organisers from the clubs hope the event will raise more than $50,000 to be donated to Oxfam to aid its tsunami relief program.

Entry to the match - hoped to attract a crowd of about 5000 - will be by donation.

Sponsors aligned with both clubs will chip in donations throughout the match.

NRL boss David Gallop will attempt to face NSW quick Nathan Bracken between innings, with $500 being donated to the appeal every time Gallop connects with a delivery.

Bracken and former ACT cricketer Brad Haddin will be adding some much- needed cricketing credibility to the event as "ring-ins".

At some stage of the match Haddin will bat for the Raiders and Bracken will bowl for the Brumbies.

To protect the crowd sitting along the very short square boundaries, the match will be played with a softer indoor cricket ball instead of the standard leather.

That amendment suited Mortlock, who suffered a depressed cheek fracture during the Wallabies' spring tour of Europe.

"I think we're playing with a rubber ball so I don't think there'll be too much damage if a few bouncers happen to come my way."

The Brumbies and Raiders last met in a social match of cricket in 2001, although neither Mortlock or Schifcofske could recall the winner of that encounter.

The league and union teams hope to make the charity encounter an annual event.

+++++++

from The Canberra Times

Raider Ultra

Bench
Why the hell did they put this on a Tuesday afternoon rather than on a Saturday or Sunday? Will make the crowd significantly smaller.

hrundi99

First Grade
Given that I'm not currently employed I may drive down for the day for this. It should be fun.

Boing Boing

Juniors
I'm hoping to head out there for a while. I finish work at 4, but then I have to play oztag at 7, so i should be able to catch a good 2 hours of it. I'd love to see both schiff and elliot bat!

legend

Coach
Are they playing Kanga Cricket or is it the real deal? Neither team would be happy if an injury resulted from a game neither teams plays.

Maybe they should use a half taped tennis ball? :lol:

woodgers

Bench
Rubber ball or not, those cheats will be using all the tactics, eg. picking the seam, cough lolly on the ball.

It is for charity though so I will take eggs to chuck at the Brumbies players rather than rocks.

legend

Coach
Make sure you hit Gregan in the melon for me. Hopefully he gets called for chucking and reported to the ICC.

mike83au

Juniors
When you think of it, Gregan sorta looks like that little spinner from South Africa - the unco one...... what was his name... Adams?

hrundi99

First Grade
woodgers said:
Rubber ball or not, those cheats will be using all the tactics, eg. picking the seam, cough lolly on the ball.

It is for charity though so I will take eggs to chuck at the Brumbies players rather than rocks.

Are you definitely going?

If so, we should meet up for a few beverages.

greeneyed

First Grade
legend said:
Are they playing Kanga Cricket or is it the real deal? Neither team would be happy if an injury resulted from a game neither teams plays.

Maybe they should use a half taped tennis ball? :lol:

I agree with you Legend. This is why they are using an indoor cricket ball.

thickos

First Grade
Those things still sting a bit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't do any damage to Brumbies with it sadly :(

thickos said:
Those things still sting a bit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't do any damage to Brumbies with it sadly :(

You can do damage with an indoor ball. One broke my nose last year. But they may be using new ones, which are a little softer than 2 game old one re-laquered to be as hard as nails. :?

thickos

First Grade
mate don't tell the brumbies players to wear helmets then if it can do some damage :twisted:

Latest posts