What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra to host 2013 Anzac Test

***MH***

Bench
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-to-host-2013-anzac-test-20120815-247m6.html

The worst-kept secret in rugby league has been made official today. Canberra has been confirmed as the venue for next year’s Anzac Test between Australia and New Zealand.
Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens, Raiders Test star David Shillington and Australian Rugby League interim boss Shane Mattiske made the announcement in Canberra at 12.45pm.
The Canberra Times revealed in April Canberra was in the box seat to secure the city’s first-ever Test, which will be played on April 19.
It will be one of the sporting jewels in Canberra’s centenary celebrations, with the Australian cricket team and British and Irish Lions also among the big acts confirmed.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...-anzac-test-20120815-247m6.html#ixzz23agyc1Yd

Hopefully they'll stop whinging about not getting any Tests now. And if they don't fill the place they won't be able to whinge about not getting one again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
will they get more than the usual 10k who turn out for a RL match there? Anzac test is pointless imo, finish the NRL a week earlier and put a proper test series in at the end of the year.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
About bloody time! The only full international Canberra has staged is France vs Scotland in the 2008 World Cup!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
About bloody time! The only full international Canberra has staged is France vs Scotland in the 2008 World Cup!

And a good turnout for that, I think about 8-9,000. Which isnt too bad.

I think the ground record is around 26,000 so hopefully they'll come close to breaking it.

Canberra will be 4th Capital city to host a test match, and hopefully the 5th isnt too far away. And after the Townsville test, they'll be the 7th city between the two sides.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
will they get more than the usual 10k who turn out for a RL match there? Anzac test is pointless imo, finish the NRL a week earlier and put a proper test series in at the end of the year.

If perth were given the same Test, you'd do your nut.

skeepe

Immortal
Hopefully they'll stop whinging about not getting any Tests now. And if they don't fill the place they won't be able to whinge about not getting one again.

f**k me you're a sour one aren't you?

It's about bloody time. It's a disgrace it's taken this long to get one.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Quite remarkable actually that they haven't had one yet! It's a good sized venue for this sort of lukewarm test match, I applaud the move.

f**k me you're a sour one aren't you?

It's about bloody time. It's a disgrace it's taken this long to get one.
f**k off. Canberra has never got good crowds, even when they weren't shit. The reason places like Newcastle and Townsville have received games is because they turn out in good numbers for other RL matches. There's no one else to blame for Canberra not doing the same.

skeepe

Immortal
f**k off. Canberra has never got good crowds, even when they weren't shit. The reason places like Newcastle and Townsville have received games is because they turn out in good numbers for other RL matches. There's no one else to blame for Canberra not doing the same.

Ahhh so you're on the board are you? Know exactly why each test is given to each city do you?

Nah.... you're just a nutjob not worth the effort.

Canberra has been neglected for far too long. This is well overdue. I'll certainly be there.

Ahhh so you're on the board are you? Know exactly why each test is given to each city do you?

Nah.... you're just a nutjob not worth the effort.

Canberra has been neglected for far too long. This is well overdue. I'll certainly be there.
What board? I know you're a Vichyist but this isn't the IRB. Rugby league administrators take games to places that will draw good crowds in the main. Canberra does not and never has. It's no coincidence that outside of the big cities the places that have got Tests have been Newcastle and Townsville. Regardless of what bias Canberra mongs say this is done because the people of those areas support RL in good numbers and have done for a long time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If perth were given the same Test, you'd do your nut.

I would but only because it showed RL doing something sensible for a change. This test could draw 30k plus at subi. And promote the game at a vital time for the code in WA.

What would have been better would have been to ditch this pointless mid season test, finished a week early and played a proper three test series at end of this year then we could have all got one and raised some decent funding for the NZRL!

Last edited:

100%green

Juniors
As a Raiders fan, bout time!!!!

As a league fan this test should alternate venues every year to include ALL cities and venues. NSW, QLD, ACT, WA etc this would help promote the game.

ECT you have no idea. Glad you don't run anything!!!