What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra v storm

eElz1

Juniors
actually, i pissed off the mrs during he first half. had kinda a flashback from last year. Lowrie got the ball close to the line I was screaming "Go Lowrie Go!"
i miss lowrie..

Hellsy

Immortal
Nope, I could never do that.
Majority of those players were not the ones caught up in these payments and would have had no idea in the world at what was going on.
I would be all for snide remarks at the management out the back or in the form of banners etc, but I will not chant anything at any player until it is proven without a doubt that they knew that the money/services/goods etc that they were taking were going to throw them over the cap illegally.

fanaticeel

Juniors
Nope, I could never do that.
Majority of those players were not the ones caught up in these payments and would have had no idea in the world at what was going on.
I would be all for snide remarks at the management out the back or in the form of banners etc, but I will not chant anything at any player until it is proven without a doubt that they knew that the money/services/goods etc that they were taking were going to throw them over the cap illegally.

Gee Hellsy you take all the fun out of it with common sense statements like that... :sarcasm:

Hellsy

Immortal
Sorry :lol:
Look I understand the anger, I just feel for the players that have been caught up in this that would never have had anything to do with it. Like Todd.

strider

Post Whore
yeah there are unfortunate by stander players .... but fmd, if some of the big ones didn't know anything was going on, then they really are a few sandwiches short of a picnic - the more sh*t that comes out, the more some players look dodgy

and tbh, f**k em, they can all incur the wrath :fist: ... :lol:

bartman

Immortal
Good on the crowd for giving it to this cheating club. :lol: at the $20 bills in the photo in the print version of the Sun Herald!

There should be more of it all season imo, and I hope we give them a similar reception.

If any players there had real integrity, they wouldn't just be playing along with this "standing together" crap, they'd be doing their best to get out of the scummy joint quick smart, and publicising those efforts in the media. I've heard Finchy is taking offers from overseas, and people have said Lowrie's unhappy. The sooner these players get their 2011 season sorted elsewhere, then the sooner they can be exempt from the continuing wrath of the fans of the NRL.

I hope that the Storm's media sympathisers were watching too - and realise that there is very little sympathy out there for the Storm, and that their penalty (and more) has been much deserved.

bartman

Immortal
The Herald photo was better, but... this one has spoons as well :lol:

227244-nrl-round-10-raiders-v-storm.jpg

Hellsy

Immortal
Good on the crowd for giving it to this cheating club. :lol: at the $20 bills in the photo in the print version of the Sun Herald!

There should be more of it all season imo, and I hope we give them a similar reception.

If any players there had real integrity, they wouldn't just be playing along with this "standing together" crap, they'd be doing their best to get out of the scummy joint quick smart, and publicising those efforts in the media. I've heard Finchy is taking offers from overseas, and people have said Lowrie's unhappy. The sooner these players get their 2011 season sorted elsewhere, then the sooner they can be exempt from the continuing wrath of the fans of the NRL.

I hope that the Storm's media sympathisers were watching too - and realise that there is very little sympathy out there for the Storm, and that their penalty (and more) has been much deserved.

Thats a bit unfair Bart. Players don't generally have much to do with management who are the cause of this whole debacle. Alot of these guys went down there for opportunity to play under Craig Bellamy and they still have that in front of them. I agree with other comments that some of those top line players who would have been getting these extra $$ would surely have known something was amiss with how the deals were done, but they may not have known it was happening to their fellow team mates as well - and still this is only a few of their 25 man squad.
All I'm saying is that management are ultimately to blame, and then you can throw in their top line players who really could be taunted for being so stupid and naive if anything.
The rest of the lower paid players would have plenty of integrity, and what are they going to do? Go to training and tell the team 'Look sorry, I think you are all a bunch of thieves and I can't play with any of you'. Yeah I don't think so.

And Lowrie is not unhappy down there at all according to his Mum.
Finch was always going to be looking elsewhere next year, he knew that well before this all happened.

Ultimately, they are going to cop taunts for a long long time and I doubt any of them really care what fans of other clubs do or say about them :lol: They will have to cop it sweet on the chin like men. I would hope though that the ones who are not involved can hold their heads high and know they are not in the same bunch.

btaag

Juniors
I will boo them when they run out and I hope they get taunted throughout the game with a flogging to top it all off. There are players who did not know the club was cheating (mostly the poor sods on $50k a year falling for the 'band of brothers' line from the management and big 4 players).

However, there is still Inglis and his speedboat, Cameron Smith and his signature on the two different contracts (plus the rennos to his house, and the fox job, etc, Billy the Kid's extra money etc, etc)

The Storm cheating cost us the Grand Final last year (eg: Parra vs Brisbane = win), and the players are part of the club, so should not be given encouraging support - they are $1million over the cap this year, were $700k over last year.

Ultimately though, smashing them on the field is what I want (and the 2pts that go with it).

Hellsy

Immortal
Their punishment to me would have been better if they had been made to meet the salary cap this year hey!
Currently when they win they are winning with a team that has been assembled illegally by management and the other poor NRL team they are playing looses a chance to win 2 points by having a legal team. I don't get it.

Glenn

First Grade
If the NRL knew how much the Storm were over the cap by, then yes get under the cap before you can earn points.
However as it has come to light the amount over the cap has grown,so can't really say unload x amount of players IMHO.

Hellsy

Immortal
So it is then fair that they play on as an illegal team and beat teams that are within the cap until such time as this total amount is decided on?

Their punishment to me would have been better if they had been made to meet the salary cap this year hey!
Currently when they win they are winning with a team that has been assembled illegally by management and the other poor NRL team they are playing looses a chance to win 2 points by having a legal team. I don't get it.
just my opinion but i think the nrl tv contract would specify how many games are to be played each week so if they dropped the storm this year they could be in breach of that contract
also you cant just say to billy slater we need to get under the cap go play for the sharks because they might not have cap space to fit him and he still has a binding storm contract (maybe two ;-))

So it is then fair that they play on as an illegal team and beat teams that are within the cap until such time as this total amount is decided on?
no its not 100% fair but how do you come up with a solution seeing they have already played 6 teams before the cheating was uncovered?

Glenn

First Grade

Not at all, but what if they were to off load players to the value that they are currently over the cap (1.4million??), and then subsequently found to be further over the cap, how is that fair to the teams they beat while still over the cap.
Maybe something like you lose all points until under the current known cap breach, and then if subsequent breaches are identifed any points gained are again lost till under the new breach level

btaag

Juniors
And the NRL are 100% correct in not letting them take 40% pay cuts to stay just like the Dogs did (including Andrew Ryan on a huge deal).

Virtually impossible to solve the quandry created by the Storm cheating.

Hellsy

Immortal
I don't know how to fix it, but I don't get paid to sort out sh*t like this.
I do know that it is f**ked up that all of us have to play an illegal team for the 2010 season though - they will be the defining point between some team's making the 8 or not and that is unfair

And the NRL are 100% correct in not letting them take 40% pay cuts to stay just like the Dogs did (including Andrew Ryan on a huge deal).

Virtually impossible to solve the quandry created by the Storm cheating.
why is it up to the nrl to come up with a solution anyway the storm cheated let them deal with the consequences
ok its a bit unfair on teams who lose to the storm but what can you do to compensate every team playing them thats not unfair on every other team?
there's still 7 other games going on every week you cant change one without unbalancing all the others

Suitman

Post Whore

Yes, it is, because for the whole season, the situation will be the same for every team.

i.e.
For those that played them before the situation broke. For those that have played them since. And finally, for those that play them for the rest of the season.
The status quo hasn't changed with regards to who is playing and who they are playing against. The only variable is with what will/may/might go on in the heads of the Storm players, and their motivation as the season progresses.
This is the only unpredictable variable of a predictable situation.

Suity

Latest posts