What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra VS Parra Match Discussion Thread

salvy71

Juniors
This is now our equal worst start since the formation of the NRL in 1998 - 1 win - 4 losses.
Other years we started like this - 2006 - finished 8th - out week 1 of the finals - had to win something like 9 games straight to make the finals .
2003 - finished 9th . 2000 - finished 7th ...also made a late charge and got to the preliminary final .
Barring some miracle this season is dead and buried as far as a premiership is concerned going by those stats , I'm hoping I'm wrong of course .

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I can't believe you of all people is saying this stuff.
Have you not lived the last 10 years of the Eels?

We have the talent.
We have the playing roster.
We have the coach.
We have the administration.

We started last year the same, and many others.
I'm shocked people are being so pessimistic so early in the season.
This years playing roster is the best we've had for years.
Have faith people.

Suity

Good on you Suity, that's the way....

We just have to get rid of this terrible rift going on that is ripping the heart out of this team. Then this team will soar again to the NRL GF and win it.

Runaround Man

Juniors
No chance of suprising souths... We have no structure or direction what so ever.

There is some serious talent in our backline that will sit there wasted with our current 9,7,6 options.

Our forwards are easy pickings with one out football, oppostion can put the numbers in the tackles without any fear at all.

That is where you are wrong dear Watson,
You see Souths will now fall into a slumber against the Eels starting to believe the anti-hype about the hopeless and weak Eels and then the mighty Eels will come out against the poor unsuspecting bunnies and pound them senseless into the hard and unforgiving turf of the ANZ stadium......elementary

Runaround Man

Juniors
When is campese going to be penalised for pushing people back over onto their back to slow down the play the ball?

Campese should have been penalised! I called it before that bullsh*t! He's been doing it all night.

I am so glad someone else mentioned Campese. The things he was getting away with out there. He must be sweet talking the refs because they didn't penalise him (I think) at all.

Every tackle he would make he would be working the player, niggling, grabbing an arm etc,

I was so glad that when KK picked him up and dumped him.

Campese is a dirty player. :x

Imagine what he must he up to if a player as clean as Reddy resorts to elbowing him in the face....wish he did he a bit harder to get his money's worth. :D

Ref should have penalises Campese for pulling back Reddy's arm after the tackle has been made.

Bazal

Post Whore
Campese dirty? Come on man, be reasonable...he was holding Reddy down, but he's far from dirty. In fact he's one of the more respectable players going round

84 Baby

Referee
I am so glad someone else mentioned Campese. The things he was getting away with out there. He must be sweet talking the refs because they didn't penalise him (I think) at all.

Every tackle he would make he would be working the player, niggling, grabbing an arm etc,

I was so glad that when KK picked him up and dumped him.

Campese is a dirty player. :x

Imagine what he must he up to if a player as clean as Reddy resorts to elbowing him in the face....wish he did he a bit harder to get his money's worth. :D

Ref should have penalises Campese for pulling back Reddy's arm after the tackle has been made.
Reminds me of a Billy Birmingham skit. Clearly it was a vicious headbutt from Campese to the elbow of poor Joel Reddy

84 Baby

Referee
I don't know if you are having a shot at me or not..BUT you are not wrong..they (the Raiders) are a good side and should have beaten Wests Tigers last week after having them well and truly by the nuts coming on to half time.
AND with Joel Monaghan David Milne, Travis Waddell and Justin Carney on the way back from injury...Drury Low, Mick Picker waiting in the wings the Raiders have a good future, especially next season.. if not a contender in 2010..
Honestly Pete I think if Canberra were in Sydney they'd be in exactly the same position we are. That is 2 from 5 is nowhere near good enough. They have a bigger, quick, more aggressive pack than we do, they may not have the names in the backline but that doesn't mean they don't have the talent. The only difference is they have a better 6,7 & 9 than we do, alright maybe not McCrone but he was in the winner's circle last night. Raiders without doubt in terms of playing rosters should be up the pointy end. If they were the Sydney Raiders they would have just as many if not more questions asked of them

lzd

Juniors
Might be time to get Mate back to 5/8, Morts isn't working his kicking game is pretty bad atm

Because Mateo's kicking game is superior to Mortimer????

The most glaring, obvious difference from late 09 to the first five rounds this year is the piss poor go forward by the pack. It all starts from there. I know Hindmarsh is a legend and makes 40 tackles a week etc but his ball running is terrible. I'm not blaming him for the lack of roll on but that is an example of what is being dished up at the moment when carting the ball up and bending the line. It's non-existent.

Not Hindy's job. There are 4 props in this side. Should be plenty to go around.

We have the talent.
We have the playing roster.
We have the coach.
We have the administration.

We started last year the same, and many others.
I'm shocked people are being so pessimistic so early in the season.
This years playing roster is the best we've had for years.
Have faith people.

Here, here!

Peter Sterling made some very salient points last night. Most notably, its all very well and good to call for change, but only if you've got better troops to bring in. The effort is there. Whats more, the u/20s are getting belted - there's no one there to bring up that would be any better than the current 17. Do the pork chops who were calling for Tom Humble to play hooker at the start of the year still think he'd do a better job than Matt Keating? Really? There is not one player in that starting 13 that is not what I would call an NRL-standard starting player. The only players unlucky to be missing the top squad are Inu and Jono Wright.

Somethings not right, but making dumb changes at the selection table just for the sake of change is not the answer.

Eelogical

Referee
Now that the Eels broke the Raiders horrible away record things can get back to normal again. I am putting a 100 bucks on the Roosters as specials.

parra pete

Referee
Honestly Pete I think if Canberra were in Sydney they'd be in exactly the same position we are. That is 2 from 5 is nowhere near good enough. They have a bigger, quick, more aggressive pack than we do, they may not have the names in the backline but that doesn't mean they don't have the talent. The only difference is they have a better 6,7 & 9 than we do, alright maybe not McCrone but he was in the winner's circle last night. Raiders without doubt in terms of playing rosters should be up the pointy end. If they were the Sydney Raiders they would have just as many if not more questions asked of them

Sorry, I can't follow what you mean.
The Raiders are 2 from 5..I think they should be 3 from 5 at least, and I think they will get better as this season goes on. They have good depth, and to be beaten by them is not a disgrace. They are well coached with many OUTSTANDING young players in the backline. Kids who are just realising how good they can be, like Dugan, Vidot, Stuart, Joel, Fensom and Croker. Waddel is super, and Mick Picker (NYC) has huge wraps on him as does Drury Low.
They have 'the killer' in them and Quentin Pongia has them fit.
Campo is the ring master and Alan Tongue the inspiration.....This season is a learning curve for them, but, in my opinion, in 2011 they will be contenders.

84 Baby

Referee
Sorry, I can't follow what you mean.
The Raiders are 2 from 5..I think they should be 3 from 5 at least, and I think they will get better as this season goes on. They have good depth, and to be beaten by them is not a disgrace. They are well coached with many OUTSTANDING young players in the backline. Kids who are just realising how good they can be, like Dugan, Vidot, Stuart, Joel, Fensom and Croker. Waddel is super, and Mick Picker (NYC) has huge wraps on him as does Drury Low.
They have 'the killer' in them and Quentin Pongia has them fit.
Campo is the ring master and Alan Tongue the inspiration.....This season is a learning curve for them, but, in my opinion, in 2011 they will be contenders.
I meant they should be contenders right now. If they were in the Sydney market, the media would be printing 50 articles a week about them rather than us. And if I were a Canberra fan I'd only be slightly less p!ssed them I actually am at the moment being an Eels fan

Last edited: