What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cancel the pre-match entertainment!!!

P.J.

Juniors
Big thanks to the NRL for arranging the banging of BBQ lids. It really highlights the issues with our game.

And please dont stinge us so much to not even paint the bloody ingoals in the teams colours. Fair dinkum....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
And please dont stinge us so much to not even paint the bloody ingoals in the teams colours. Fair dinkum....

That was the biggest let down IMO. I know it's a small thing but it adds to the atmosphere ten-fold. They need to stick to a ground painting format for GF day annually and LEAVE it, chopping and changing year to year is sh*t.

Southernsaint

Staff member
That was the biggest let down IMO. I know it's a small thing but it adds to the atmosphere ten-fold. They need to stick to a ground painting format for GF day annually and LEAVE it, chopping and changing year to year is sh*t.

Agreed - red in-goal areas should be mandatory for Origin and GFs...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I figured, but there's about as much chance of that happening as there is of Rudd condemning the alco-pops tax and sacking Belinda Neal in the same week :(

Twigg

Juniors
Pre-Match 'Entertainment' is always pathetic. Wtf was with the barbecues that was so lame.

Loudstrat

Coach
Whinge. As L4P said, it was tongue in cheek. Jon Stevens was fine. Living End horribly mimed. Loved the barbies in club colours - now scouring ebay for an Eels barbie, and Eels outdoor setting and an Eels hammock.

Still, not having Motorhead blasting out Killed By Death was always going to be the biggest mistake the NRL made all year.

badav

Bench
WTF was with banging the BBQ lids and dragging the tongs across the BBQ.

That was just wierd.

Nuke

Staff member
One of the big reasons people complained about night-time GF's is that they couldn't have get together barbeque's anymore. Just a subtle touch from the NRL, I liked it.
I did too in fact. They could've perhaps done it better than they did, but I like the idea behind it.

Anthony Warlow was perhaps the 2nd or 3rd best National Anthem singer I have heard at a Grand Final.
Julie Anthony (1997) is the best I have heard. Daylight follows after her. Next would either be Anthony Warlow (2008) or Hugh Jackman (1999). I don't remember now what Hugh Jackman's version was like, but I remember liking it at the time.

Nuke

Staff member
I know it's a small thing but it adds to the atmosphere ten-fold. They need to stick to a ground painting format for GF day annually and LEAVE it, chopping and changing year to year is sh*t.
I agree with this too. I think they first did it for the 1999 Grand Final, then the 2001 Grand Final, and I forget which years since (2003 I know they did too actually). It adds something and makes it more special in my opinion.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Nohting wrong with the bands, it's obvious though how cheaply we are letting these tossers that run our game get away with such poor marketing. A band would be great if it somehow melded in with the footy.. Nothing ties anything together anymore.

There's no passion, just pokies.

FFS we're not monkeys,, no one wants to listen to music, give us RL stories. Give our game some respect FFS!!!

Brutus

Referee
Gallop is f**king obsessed with BBQ's, every sentence that comes out of his mouth in relation to the GF has a reference to BBQ's in it. Its like he read a feedback memo about people being pissed about not getting to have a sunday arvo BBQ on GF day and has decided that if he backs the BBQ to the hilt he wont fail as an administrator.

4/10

4=John stevens.

I agree with Gallop being obsessed with BBQ's when talking about GF's. He's also obsessed by balancing acts, mouths to feed, pieces of the pie and misconceptions.

He's act has been exposed and we are tired of it.

On Jon Stevens, I agree with Witty - it looked like a rehersal. Maybe it was the red shirt/jumper he was wearing.

Bloody pathetic entertainment. Just scrap it next year.

Warlow's anthem was fantasic. Bring him back next year.