What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canterbury Cup 2019

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Kata and Lisone were good in general play mixed in with the usual dumb shit that makes them not an option for first grade.

Blair

Coach
32-10 over Norths.

From our man, Fan In The Stand, aka R & S:

Part One:

After a week off for the rep round the majority of the boys spent it having rest, recovering from various niggling injuries and reassessing team goals then today they are back into the 2019 campaign. Fan in The Stand is pumped and ready and jumped on the train to venture out North Sydney Oval to watch the boys take on the Bears which is the reserve grade team for the Sydney Roosters. The train ride was interesting and always a great view going over the Sydney Harbour Bridge but was glad to get off after sitting in front of an old Chinese couple who continued to eat and chew with their mouths open with very high decibels.

Got there nice and early after a short walk from the train station walked in and had a nice wonder around the oval. Great footy ground draped in tradition. If you have lived in a cave for about 50 years you wouldn’t know that the Bears used to run around in the NRL many years ago, they also have had a few Kiwis don the red and black from Sean Hoppe, Clayton Friend and Mark Graham to name a few. I see assistant Coach Ricky Henry setting up for the warm up drills so pop over and say hi and have a brief chat. No late changes for the starting line-up but midweek club signing Josh Curran will be making his debut for the club ironically against the club he played for last week the North Sydney Bears.

I take a seat in the stand on the old wooden seats as they always give you a dead ass. I go through the cheap program to check the team lists and notice straight away that we have an awesome line up that could easily put 100 points on anyone, but that never happens at this level because the defence is too strong, but we are STACKED!

Right away #9 sticks out to me, Bully Luke, why is he in this team?????? He’s played over 260 first grade games and in a shit load of tests for the KIWIs and is thoroughly respected through the league whanau, he’s a first grade player through and through…no disrespect to Kayne or Nate but Bully is a legend of our game. I mean if Coach Kearney is going to keep it real and drop players for bad defence or whatever the reason, then he should look at other players, cough “Adam Blair” cough. Hell Isaac was team mates with Coach Cayless in the Kiwis when they won the World Cup in 08. Heaps of young talent in our team with all the young guns gaining all the experience from the hard reserve grade season, with the likes of Hayze, Lewis, Adam Keirghran and Chanel mixed in with experienced players, Captain Blake, Isaac and big Adam Tuimavave Gerrard (who I’ve rated for years back when he was in the Dragons and 2014 Junior Kiwis), also I’ve noticed we’re running with 4 big forwards on the bench, two props in Clayton and Preston, Mr-Fix-It Tyler, and new mid-week signing Josh Curran. 3 Adams in the team to. This report is going to be tough

Anyways a win today gets us closer to the 8, as the boys are warming up, I spot #22, who is one of Fan in The Stand’s current favs, the executioner Los Latu, who unfortunately is the 18th man and unable to unleash the hits on the Bears, but I’m sure he’ll enjoy the Wiki love after the game 

We kick off with a decent crowd of 300-400 people with a couple of hearty Warriors fans around the joint, but we are penalised on tackle 4 for slow play the ball. Bears attack down field, but a Jackson Frei hit and forces an error, and Adam Keighran runs 20, we get great meters, Bully kicks and we get a repeat set. Doesn’t amount to much as tackle 4, Phil Makatoa pops an offload, but the ref calls a knock on, another penalty for offside and we are defending in our half again, but another error from the Bears, a forward pass, gets us off the hook. Penalty to us and again we seem to make easy metres, Hayze on the last puts a bit too much on the kick and it goes dead. Good work rate so far from our props Satae and Frei. Bears get a 7 tackle set and gain some good field possession and chip in the in goal on the last but ever reliable Captain Aysh to force it dead. With a repeat set the Bears put on some plays before swinging left and chip kicking and their #12 Thomas Frebairn, Bears miss the kick, 4-0, 14 gone. One thing I’ve notices in the first 15 minutes, is Chanel has a real spring in his step, looks hungry and confident, might have been from the great test he played last weekend for Toa Samoa or it could be the Jason Mamoa hairstyle.

18 gone, we get a penalty and attack with a full set, 30 meters out. A few plays back and forth sees tackle 4 spun out wide for young Setu to break 3 tackles to go over for a great try from awesome pass from Taane Milne. Adam K converts from the side line, 6-4, 20 gone. Bears kick off and a great hitup by Makatoa on hit up 1, make greats yards but the Bears force an error. Back on defence in our 20, strong D sees them only make 3m and we force a handover after they got tackled on the last.

25 gone and our defence again forces a Bear’s error, this time Adam T-G with the hit. Next hit up Adam T-G runs it straight and knocks out Bear’s hooker, Bradley Deitz. Play stops for 5 minutes while they wake him out and off he goes for an HIA. Meanwhile, Captain Aysh calls a team meeting in the middle of the field. Just while play is stop, I just cant get over how crisp and flush Bully Luke’s passing game is from dummy half, every backline move he is hitting Chanel and Adam K with chest height spiral bullet passes that they are running onto.

Play gets under way and next set the Bear’s winger, Curtis Johnson, runs it up and he gets smashed and he is concussed and leaves for HIA as well. In 2 plays we have knocked out 2 players. The Bears are going into hibernation, left right and centre. A couple of inter-changes, new recruit, Josh Curran is on, big Chris Satae is back on for his second stint, and Mr-Fix-It Tyler Slade has come on for Makatoa who has been busy for the first 30 as we all know with the interchange you can only interchange a player when we are in possession. As Tyler runs on, Bears produce a 1 on 1 strip, 35m out from our line and Tyler’s just running across the field to join the play, ends up chasing the Bear’s player and runs him down 2m out from our line, TRY SAVER!! We have a brick wall on today and we hold out the Bears with great goal line defence.

Satae cuts it up for 12m, Preston follows with 15m and then Curran gets tackled 1m out going for a try. Handover!

Couple of sets later, Bears get a penalty and again we are defending our own line and again they can’t break through our defence out wide is strong and full of communication led by Chanel, Taane, Hayze, and Lewis. Next set Bears kick on the last and it goes dead, we get a 7 tackle set, we make great meters and try our last play, kick and chase, but the ball goes dead as the half time sounds.

HALF TIME THOUGHTS

*Bears whilst creating some opportunities look confused and seem to take the wrong options on last tackle plays and when they have the ball. Id like to think that is caused by our defence.

*Our defence is excellent. Im seeing great line speed from the whole line. Bears cant seem to get past the brick wall. Line speed is attitude. Our attitude is 100%

*Saw Latrell Mitchell walk past, good to see him bring his family down to support his fellow club mates

PLAYERS TO IMPRESS

*Isaacs dummy half service is unreal. He hasn’t over played his hand either. Only a couple of dummy half runs. Just giving Chanel and Adam K good ball

*Our starting props Chris Satae and Jackson Frei have done a shitload of hitups

*Chanel always involved while Adam K providing the communication

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Part Two:

Second half Bears kick off, big Satae makes 25 from the kick off. Bully darts out at dummy half and makes another 25, two plays later Adam K goes blind and weaves his way and is held up for a try. Chanel gets us another set and on the last we attack left and big bad Bully Luke crashes over next to the post. Adam K converts, 12-4 to us after 42, good second half start. Bears restart and again Satae crashes through for 30m with the first hitup. On attack again Chanel bombs and young Setu is taken out going for the bomb, penalty to us 10 out we tap and Adam K is hit hard on tackle 2 and looses it, pressure released. More pressure released as we are caught offside on tackle 3, Bears make a few meters then our D presses up and their cut out pass goes into touch.

52 minutes gone and we get another repeat set, set play and we go right then massive shift left with Chanel out the back to young gun Adam Pompey who beats 2 and gasses over out wide. Adam K converts 18-4 after 55. Great pressure lads!

Bears kick off and again we make easy meters up the field, Bully darts off with a beautifully timed line break from dummy half, Chanel goes with him in support and Bully passes to him to score under the post, we’re up 24-4 after 56. Bears are getting good practice at kick offs as Satae makes another line break, tackle 5 in the set we knock on, 5m out and I’ve worked out we’ve run 295 meters in 3 sets. WOW!

The Bears look tired like they’re being chased by Ranger Smith as we force an error from a Tyler Slade tackle. 65 gone and after a few sets back and forth the Bears go over for a try through James Tuitahi, Brock Lamb converts, 24-10.

Chris Satae is off, again massive stint, Frei back on. Bears attack again and put a backline move on and have a 3 on 1 overlap, out of nowhere Bully crash tackles the attacker over the sideline, but we get penalised and no advantage. Next set the Bears prop, Lindsay Collins, beats 2 and is going for a try when Adam T-G smashes him and the ball pops loose saving a certain try. We work it up downfield, offloads everywhere, before young Setu Tu gets the ball 30 out, steps 2 for a line break and burns off another 2 for an awesome individual try…good talent this young kid. Adam K converts, 30-10 to us.

Clayton Williams finally gets on for the final minutes, Preston Riki is off, and Clayton makes his second tackle of the game and is penalised for a head high tackle, got to make your mark I guess  Bears attack but Adam K cleans up a Bears grubber in the in goal.

5 mintues to go the guys are still working hard for each other and Satae is on for his fourth stint. King Bully Luke is off and Tyler going to hooker. With the game pretty much over and we’ve scored a shit load of tries, plays starting to get sloppy and Josh Curran does a head high and is penalised. Both teams come together, and nothing comes of it. Bears get the penalty and kick out, first tackle they hit it up and Curran again flies out of the line, puts a massive hit on and knocks the Bears second rower, Fletcher Baker and everyone comes in to have a fasi. Everyone’s rushed in and a few punches are thrown, once the ref and the touchies take control, separate everyone, they issue warnings to both teams. Bears #11 Baker is sin binned and Curran is put on report, also sin binned for punching.

Not long to go and Bears attack but with a good sliding D prevents them and then Setu takes an intercept before passing to Captain Aysh who 20 years ago would have run the length of the field to score but is tackled down but play is stopped as there’s a fight in the background. Chris Satae and Adam T-G against 6 other Bears. Didn’t look like any punches were thrown, just pushing, shoving and swearing but the boys are ready to fasi on if need be. We get the penalty, but then #7 for the Bears, Brock Lamb, is sin binned for swearing at the ref….Good Job, mouthy little prick! We get the penalty as the final hooter sounds. We take the 2 and final score is 32-10.

POST GAME THOUGHTS

*Our defence was fantastic. Everyone working for each other. If the D line was sliding then everyone was sliding. If there was a 1 on 1 situation with the Bears having the ball then our inside man was there to help

*Some great individual efforts. Isaac just took control in the 2nd half and controlled the ruck and ran when he had to. Passed when he had to and kicked when he had to. Took ownership and took pressure off Chanel and Adam. Setu Tus 2nd try was pure class. Chris Sataes 2nd half spells were crucial.

*Josh Curran could be in some trouble. On report and was fighting as well. Unsure of his record but hopefully he gets off

*No injuries that I noticed

PLAYERS TO IMPRESS

*Isaac Luke was my Man of the Match. 2nd half was pure class
*Chris Satae should be in 1st grade after that game. Huge metres all dae
*Young wing Setu Tu with 2 tries
*Adam Tuimavavae Gerard with his overall game
*Tyler Slade came on and didn’t come off. Huge involvement
*Our forwards were huge
a
So with that win we are 1 point outside the 8 with our next game against the Knights who are below us on the table. Also the game is away in Newcastle. Good thing is we have no injuries from the game. By the time ive finished writing this I see 1st grade lost again and looks like Nate Roache will be out again. So Isaac should be back in 1st grade next week. We have great talent coming through so I think NOW IS THE TIME TO PUT THEM IN 1ST GRADE. Lets start with Chanel for Green. Green just hasn’t hit form this season so lets pair Kodi up with Chanel or Adam K. Both left footers could add another dimension to the kicking game. Both were given their opportunities this year and both did well. Hayze must be close for selection as well.

So as I head down the road towards the train station home Im fully proud and happy with the boys effort and result today. This could be the start of some back to back wins. Now to get to some KFC for the ride home

Fan In The Stand from North Sydney Out!!!!!

Blair

Coach
Great write-up by R & S.

It looks like I'll be heading back to my Warriors 'safe-space', the NSW Cup, for the rest of 2019. We look like we're building for a solid finish...and finals!

jaseg

Juniors
I wish I went to this instead of watching the Panthers game. At least the second time in the last few years that they've scheduled the Bear Park game at the same time as a Warriors NRL game..

Rich102

Staff member
Great report R&S.
Agree it's crazy for SK to make a scapegoat of Bully.
I suspect something may have been said off the field.
(And I can guess what.)

Latest posts