What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captain Slammin'

Big Pete

Referee
When Sam Thaiday was announced as captain I supported it because I thought the gamble would come off and that the captaincy would take Sam to another level. I thought he'd become more hands on and lead the boys when times got tough.

Well, this year, he's proven me completely wrong.

Now, in fairness I believe injuries have cruelled Thaiday for the majority of the season. He certainly hasn't reached the heights he did in the Four Nations last year or his patch of form in 2010 but he just doesn't seem to have the ticker you want from a forward captain.

There have been so many times where I've seen Sammy standing out of position when we've really needed someone to seize control and get the boys rolling forward or through the fringe. Sammy on his day for mine is our best equipped player on the fringes but it's just been few and far between.

So what I'm asking is, do you think what I've said is fair? If so, how long do we persist with Sam before considering a new captain and who do you think the best replacement is?

Big Pete

Referee
I'd give Sammy until 2013 to see where he's at. Like I said, I think injuries have really cruelled him this season and I hope he learns from this season and endeavours to improve himself.

If it doesn't work out, I'd like to see us give the captaincy to Glenn. Alex has really impressed me everytime he's captained the side. He really lifts when we need him too and he's obviously respected by the coach, players and opposition.

gUt

Coach
For mine the Broncos captaincy is a bit like the Australian cricket team's captain. Removing it from the anointed is a big f**king deal. We aren't one of the lesser clubs who're happy to buy players and make them captain, or have 5 on the field etc.

I think you're seeing a tired and injured player doing his utmost. Sam plays in a manner that says 'follow me'. He's also got a lot to learn about the job and for that he needs time and space to be his own man.

He's no Locky, he's no Tallis. He's Thaiday, despised south of the border for reasons they'll never admit to. He's Thaiday, king of the bow-legged afro head-stepping charge-n-flop. He's the conqueror of the Alhambra Lounge. No man has ever concealed a growing bald spot in a more awesome manner. On the TV football show couch he's cool and humble, on the field he's a black volcano constantly erupting high octane radness and quick play the balls.

Pete I've never seen you so ruffled dude. We'll come good, wait and see.

some11

Referee
He's Thaiday, king of the bow-legged afro head-stepping charge-n-flop. He's the conqueror of the Alhambra Lounge. No man has ever concealed a growing bald spot in a more awesome manner. On the TV football show couch he's cool and humble, on the field he's a black volcano constantly erupting high octane radness and quick play the balls.

49484303.gif

Last edited:

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I don't mind the idea of Glenn with a (c) next to his name, but FMD what on earth did one C.Parker do wrong?

beads6

First Grade
I think Thaiday was the right choice but he is having a shocking year. Injury hasn't really helped.

diddi kong

Juniors
I'm happy with Thaiday, I think Glenn will be even better in a year or two. But for gods sake dont give it to Parker

Big Pete

Referee
Losing to a Hayne-less Parra has thoroughly rustled my jimmies.

I've seen this point raised a number of times in general match threads and thought it'd be worth spotlighting and discussing it.

Seems like your post has scared off all the knockers.

Frank Grimes said:
I don't mind the idea of Glenn with a (c) next to his name, but FMD what on earth did one C.Parker do wrong?

Was born too early.

At least that was the impression I had reading some articles on it.

Personally, I don't think his tenure as captain in 2010 did him any favours.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I still think Parker was somewhat dudded when he was overlooked for Sam. He's probably proving that over this season and last with his form and influence on the team.

Unfortunately I can only see Thaiday going dramatically backwards if he were to lose the captaincy at this stage. It won't happen.

Chainshada

Juniors
Parker and Thaiday Co-Captains, take some pressure off Sam. Corey keeps the side diligent in defense, Sam fires up the side in attack.

Bretto

Bench
I think the captaincy has forced Thaiday to play a different style of footy, which so far, has only been to his detriment. He's lost a lot of mongrel that he played with last season, and personally, I don't think he has the right character to be a captain. Parker or Glenn have the right temperament to be a captain, and still play their natural game.

IBA

Juniors
Thaiday handles the press well. He speaks fairly coherently. I don't think Glenn does nearly as well in that side of the captaincy - he parrots Hook too much and speaks in as many cliches as anyone. The public image is a big part of captaincy as well.

Great footballer though :)

Behold

Juniors
Public image is useless if you are losing matches because of poor leadership on the field. Broncos can always fork out a bit of cash for some media training for Glenn. I am sure Thaiday has been put through more than a few sessions of it. On the playing field is the only place the captaincy matters and Thaiday so far has been disappointing in that role.

IBA

Juniors
Yeah I agree Thaiday has been disappointing and that off field press commitments are well an truly down on the list of important qualities. Worth a mention though.

He used to be great at putting on that one big play - a massive tackle or hit up at 200mph that could really change the momentum of a game. I was really hoping he'd be able to bring that to the captaincy. Lead by example and what-not. I hope for all of our sakes he can turn it around and be a fantastic captain. I don't care who it is really.

Spot On

Coach
When Sam Thaiday was announced as captain I supported it because I thought the gamble would come off and that the captaincy would take Sam to another level. I thought he'd become more hands on and lead the boys when times got tough.

Well, this year, he's proven me completely wrong.

Now, in fairness I believe injuries have cruelled Thaiday for the majority of the season. He certainly hasn't reached the heights he did in the Four Nations last year or his patch of form in 2010 but he just doesn't seem to have the ticker you want from a forward captain.

There have been so many times where I've seen Sammy standing out of position when we've really needed someone to seize control and get the boys rolling forward or through the fringe. Sammy on his day for mine is our best equipped player on the fringes but it's just been few and far between.

So what I'm asking is, do you think what I've said is fair? If so, how long do we persist with Sam before considering a new captain and who do you think the best replacement is?

I brought this up after the decision was made. Can't believe Parker wasn't given the job.

AceAv

Juniors
Yeah I'm still for thaiday.. Co captaincy is the next best option tho. It seems that
parker is coming up with those crucial tackles or offloads that inspire our team. Not opposed to this combo.

Ps great description gut...

gUt

Coach
Thanks mate.

A little thought experiment dudes. Put yourself in a 17/18/19 year old's boots. You're either on the cusp of breaking into the first grade side or you already have. Out of the current squad, which of the players on the team would you instinctively want to follow into battle?

It's gotta be Thaiday...?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I thought Parker should have been captain from the start. And from what I have seen this year, my opinion hasn't changed.

Last week probably annoyed me the most. When were getting smashed, we needed someone to lead by example. But Thaiday was mia (and missing tackles). He doesn't seem to try to fire up the team at all.

And yes he is playing injured. But when you're captain you really need to stand up. Gallen has played countless games injured. This week he has said that he is playing regardless of injury to help the team. We need this kind of attitude from Thaiday.

Latest posts