What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney in trouble again???

PRKLCD

Juniors
this isn't good.

Sad thing if the club boots him another 10 clubs would love to have him - where is the justice in that?

greentongue

Juniors
Carney, Irwin suspended by Raiders
Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 2:26 PM

Canberra Raiders players Todd Carney and Steve Irwin have been suspended by the NRL club after being involved in a police pursuit in the ACT on Friday night.

ACT Police say a 20-year-old man handed himself into the City Police Station after a pursuit through the northern suburb of Bruce.

He faces three charges including failing to stop when directed by police, negligent driving and driving whilst disqualified.

The club said both players will be unavailable for selection until the matter has been resolved.

Canberra Raiders CEO Simon Hawkins said the club would investigate the matter.

"The Raiders are working with ACT Policing and now need to let the investigation take its course," Hawkins said on the club's website.

"Until this time both players have been suspended indefinitely and their future with the club will be determined at a later date."

The NRL has been informed about the incident.

http://www.nrl.com/

Doesn't look too good for him

innsaneink

Referee
Raider Ultra said:
Yes, it would be grossly inconsistent for Naiqama not to be de-registered, and Carney to be. As he did this in the ACT, I doubt he'll get a full time jail term. If he did it in NSW is another matter.

I was referring to the courts/prison, not the NRL-Naquama......but if you doubt he'll go to JAIL, then youve got nothing to worry about, do you? :roll:

Raider Ultra

Bench
Well considering a woman who killed someone whilst negligently driving was not given a full time jail term from an ACT court recently, I dare say Carney won't.

innsaneink

Referee
Raider Ultra said:
Well considering a woman who killed someone whilst negligently driving was not given a full time jail term from an ACT court recently, I dare say Carney won't.

Did she do a runner too, and hand herself in the next day?

You do realise that not every case is the same, dont you?

PRKLCD

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:

That's a very good point.

She was high as a kite and also didn't have a licence

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Alot of speculation based on very little information. Might wait and see how it unfolds first eh.

I admit it doesn't sound good though.

raider_at_heart

Juniors
So if doesnt go to jail what does the club do?

Would this be his last chance?
I have a feeling this is the last straw. The fact he is only 20 is the only thing in his favour.

PRKLCD

Juniors
Well as I said before if we sack him another club picks him up ( give him "another" chance ) and the club loses out.

IF the club decides he shouldn't be part of the club anymore - they should make him sit out the rest of his contract - why should the club lose out.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
PRKLCD said:
Well as I said before if we sack him another club picks him up ( give him "another" chance ) and the club loses out.

Yeah I agree. I think the Broncos may be regretting letting Nev go in simular circumstances.

If he was involved in the alleged incident then the club should punish him in every way short of sacking him.

legend

Coach
Carney won't go to jail but I doubt he'll ever get his licence back and deservedly so.

I have to wonder what is going through his head after his previous incidents. I mean. how stupid is he???

I don't want the club to punt him because he is our future and until other clubs start doing the same with their rotten eggs (Gower, Naiqama, Gibbs, Laffranchi etc), but I would be happy if he was suspended without pay for the remainder of the season and forced to undertake community service.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
One of the other dissappointing aspects out of all this is that one of his team mates let him get behind the wheel.

They should be looking out for each other.

Chachi

Bench
What.A.Dickhead.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him rot away in a Knights, Broncos or Penrith jumper within the next 12 months and god knows whether he'll learn anything from it (probably not).

And you know what - I honestly couldn't give a rats arse.

Lock in Zillman, Dobson and Goodwin to long term contracts and then Carney can just fu@k right off for all I care.

I know a lot of people will say it'll harm us more than Todd if we sack him, but if this crap continues I'm telling you it will harm both parties even more in the long run.

Maybe the kid is so embarrassed he'll decide to leave anyway. I just hope he sorts his sh!t out before he ends up killing someone on the road.

Assuming he's guilty that is....

Bay56

First Grade
I've posted my thoughts elsewhere and thought I would repeat them here:-

I'd say there will be a few club CEO's that will be keeping tabs on the decisions made by Raiders management with regard to Todd's future.

I'm sure Todd will have learnt a big lesson from this incident ... he's only 20 and there'll be a few that will have more than a whisper in his ears.

My advice to management would be to get him back on the footy field as quick as possible ... subject to the restrictions of ACT law.

Yes, there is a limit to his indiscretions but I've got enough faith in Raiders management in making the correct decisions for both Todd and the club.

My message to Todd .. you're an idiot mate, and possibly a victim of circumstances, but come through it a better man and it will be worth the agony.

I dont agree with a salary penalty ... this will only make him more susceptible to a rival bid. Community service is the way to go that will hopefully make him a better person.

I'd also like to see him play next Friday along with a public apology to the club, sponsors and supporters.

edabomb

First Grade
I agree with Bay. No point taking the moral high ground when you're competing with grubs.

Chachi

Bench
Bay56 said:
I've posted my thoughts elsewhere and thought I would repeat them here:-

I'd say there will be a few club CEO's that will be keeping tabs on the decisions made by Raiders management with regard to Todd's future.

I'm sure Todd will have learnt a big lesson from this incident ... he's only 20 and there'll be a few that will have more than a whisper in his ears.

My advice to management would be to get him back on the footy field as quick as possible ... subject to the restrictions of ACT law.

Yes, there is a limit to his indiscretions but I've got enough faith in Raiders management in making the correct decisions for both Todd and the club.

My message to Todd .. you're an idiot mate, and possibly a victim of circumstances, but come through it a better man and it will be worth the agony.

I dont agree with a salary penalty ... this will only make him more susceptible to a rival bid. Community service is the way to go that will hopefully make him a better person.

I'd also like to see him play next Friday along with a public apology to the club, sponsors and supporters.
I see your point Bay56 - but fair dinkum this kid has got to learn a lesson. Yes that lesson probably won't be learnt if he goes straight to another club, but I just can't see any other result.

I would have thought a 5 year driving suspension with threat of a jail term was a big enough wake up call - and I'm not sure how that incident compares with this one - but obviously the moron has no idea how to act responsibly.

I'm not sure if alcohol was a factor here, or even Irwin's part in the deal, but I just can't see Todd Carney staying with the Raiders. Canberra is a small town and with that comes a big hammering to his reputation.

I just want him to sort himself out and I'm prepared for us to lose our best player if it means less bullsh!t like this in the future. I'm sick to death of it. He's a friggin adult and he needs to be accountable. If he can't do it here then he can p!ss off to Penrith and end up in jail there like all the tough little 20 year olds with tough little tatoos and attitude problems.

Go away and leave me alone Carney.

Latest posts