What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carroll OUT of S.O.O.1

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Zorba just reported on 2ky that the human chin Tonnie Carrol is out of SOO1 and replaced by Casey Maguire[/font]

Broncodroid

Juniors
The Casey McGuire selection makes sense:

Pros

- An hour drive to Origin camp, not a flight from Sydney.
- fresh from not having played this weekend (this ruled out Harrison)
- versatile option can cover just about any position barring prop IF necessary
- slots straight into a camp where familiar faces are everywhere from Brisbane

Cons

- no TC, no 'bodyguard' defending near Lockyer

Casey McGuire will not let Queensland down, he is by no means a 'highlight player' nor one to get many raps from the media, though he is a consistent performer who defends above his weight and can be a thorn in the side of teams with ball in hand. His combination with Lockyer and Berrigan will be a positive as well.

IMO, McGuire is fully aware, if the injury was picked up much earlier into the camp he would not be getting his first Maroon jumper as Ashley Harrison IMO would be called up to replace TC. Though this Origin, anything can happen.

I think we will see experienced campaigner Flannery come into the lock position with McGuire on the bench.

Johns Magic

Referee
I would have preferred otheres including Stagg(who has the same "pros" bar number 3) than Maguire.

borat

Bench
SirShire said:
Nutley to 2nd Row, Crocker to lock.

f**king spastics.

As much as Nutley deserves to be there (IMO over Ross) If they were to do as you suggest it would be suicide. THat would be the bigest pack in Origin history and NSW would run rings around them. Flannery to lock Macguire on the bench.

Kiwi

First Grade
I'd say ashley harrison would have been called in for sure if he wasn't suspended and Stagg being injured rules him out. McGuire wont let anyone down, and helps improve QLD's mobility. I would not be surprised at all if Casey was kept for origin 2 and Flannery dropped off the bench. I am more confident of a top game from Casey than I am from Crocker and Flannery combined.

Meanie

Juniors
Yep, Casey's a true utility who can plug any hole. Put Stagg in for Crocker, and have Carroll back for Origin 2, drop Flannery and leave McGuire in and that'd be my number one team (As well as one of the other centres in for Bowman).

NPK

Bench
I'm confident of McGuire doing a good job. As already said above, Harrison and Stagg are unavailable, so it would have been down to McGuire and Dallas Johnson. McGuire is already in Brisbane and has more club combinations so that's probably why he got the nod. For those who wanted Nutley in there, he's a prop, and there are already enough of them in the side.

SirShire

First Grade
He is not a huge prop, only weights in at 100kgs. I think he would be an excellent 2nd rower. But anyway, I would have had him over Ross for sure. Flannery to lock, and Norton on the bench if he wasnt injured.

Ghoulies

Bench
But when he comes on, where will he play? We've already got Bowen who'll probably go into hooker, and McGuire is too small to play back row, and can only really fill in the halves or centres.

I think McGuires a fantastic player but I think we'd be better off with a player more like Johnson, or even Costigan.

salivor

First Grade
SirShire said:
Nutley to 2nd Row, Crocker to lock.

f**king spastics.

What a load of crap, Carroll was only ruled out this morning, Nutley would be in Penrith preparing for this afternoons game, you can't just yank him out and expect Cronulla to find some last minute replacement. Same goes for Johnson having already played last night, Stagg is injured and Harrison suspended, the selectors realistically had to pick a replacement from the 3 teams with byes and Maguire is the best option they had.

NPK

Bench
salivor said:
What a load of crap, Carroll was only ruled out this morning, Nutley would be in Penrith preparing for this afternoons game, you can't just yank him out and expect Cronulla to find some last minute replacement. Same goes for Johnson having already played last night, Stagg is injured and Harrison suspended, the selectors realistically had to pick a replacement from the 3 teams with byes and Maguire is the best option they had.

Now that makes sense!:clap:

salivor

First Grade
Ghoulies said:
But when he comes on, where will he play? We've already got Bowen who'll probably go into hooker, and McGuire is too small to play back row, and can only really fill in the halves or centres.

I think McGuires a fantastic player but I think we'd be better off with a player more like Johnson, or even Costigan.

He's filled in for Brisbane in the backrow before, He can basically cover any position bar prop if required to. I agree that it's going to be a tough bench for Hagen to work with having Bowen there already but under the circumstances...

Kiwi

First Grade
Ghoulies said:

McGuire can play lock with ease. Flannery will start at Lock but move to the second row when Casey comes on. Casey will give the QLD team another first/second reciever option when he is on.

Jordan

Juniors
That is very bad news about Carroll. I'm suddenly a lot less confident about wednesday's game... McGuire is a good player, but I don't know if he'll make any impact off the bench in an Origin game.. If they wanted a utility, I probably would have preferred Rod Jensen.. He can play a number of positions and has the required firepower.

However, if Lockyer, Thurston or Smith get injured (touch wood), then McGuire would be a ready made replacement.. I just can't see what impact he''ll have in the back row though.

icewind

Juniors
at lock, he can make for another playmaker giving us 4 possible playmakers on the field at the one time.... lockyer, thurston, bowen, mcguire, and flannery if need be. gives us a lot more options and nsw can't just try to shut locky down and not be worried bout anyone else.