What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Castleford U18's 26 St Helens U18's 16

Hightown Tiger

Juniors
Castleford Under 18's 26 St Helens Under 18's 16

Attendance: 1,121

Highlights:
-It was nice to look forward to a game involving Castleford for a change.
-We won a trophy. I know it's 'only' the U18's, but if we can keep these players together we have a very promising future.
-All the players, from 1-17 played well, and deserved to beat Saints.
-Dean Sampson. He was very nearly in tears as he gave a speech at the end of the match. He can't be praised enough for what he has done with the juniors.

Lowlights:
-For the first time in months I'm struggling to find a lowlight.

Estimated Cas Fans: 1,100. Ok, it was a final, but some NL1 teams struggle to average 1,110 over the season.

How were the Cas Fans? As has been the case all season, they got behind the team, and 1,121 (even if it is a final) is still a tremendous turnout.

Comedy Moment: I haven't got one 8)

In a nutshell: What a change-coming back from a Cas match knowing that every player gave his all. I hope we can tie these players down to long contracts, as I feel some Super League teams will now have their eye on them.
Regardless, Dean Sampson etc can be proud of the effort they have put in. This team has finished above/beaten teams on bigger budgets, who far better facilities through one thing in particular-pride in the Castleford shirt.

bartman

Immortal
Aren't these guys also going on some sort of tour to Australia, to play against Wests Tigers junior squad? That should be a good step in keeping them together and loyal to Cas...

JasonE

Bench
Bartman,
thats Saints u/16 development squad who should be arriving in Oz tomorrow, they play 3 games in which i will be doing match reports for Rugby League Review.
First game is v Wests u/17 on monday 18th oct at 6pm

bartman

Immortal
Ah, thanks Jason. Didn't realise I'd mixed it up... Good initiative of St Helens for the young guys.

nickdraperfto

Juniors
Yeah saints think these guys are the best crop they had in years and are investing in them, i've seen them on video a few times and they got some good players. However, they didn't seem to progress in the last year as was first thought!