What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cayless in leader mode

dazeely

First Grade
Cayless in leader mode
BRAD EARL
12apr06
NATHAN Cayless doesn't know if he will get the Parramatta Eels captaincy back but he is committed to continuing to help lift the team he's led for so long.

"I still see myself as a leader in the club and I'll be doing everything I can, everything in my power, to get us playing as a team and get us playing well," Cayless said.

The Advertiser spoke to the front-rower on Monday after the side had held what has been dubbed in some quarters as a crisis meeting.
The Eels lost 44-18 to the Penrith Panthers at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday and have now won only once in five matches this season.

They have the bye this week.

"Everyone's got their feelings and we expressed a lot of our opinions yesterday after the game and again today," Cayless said.
"Obviously people are going to start criticising us.
"When you're winning everyone loves you but if you're losing, everyone wants to ask why it's not happening. We're all doing that ourselves at the moment.

"It's just a matter of sticking together and working hard and hopefully a win's just around the corner."
This was Cayless's seventh year as Eels skipper but he lasted only three rounds before coach Brian Smith put him on interchange and installed Nathan Hindmarsh in the role.

``Brian sort of said, give it to Hindy and take a bit of pressure off me, and try and get some form back,'' Cayless explained.
Asked if he expected to get the job back, he said: ``I'm not sure.

``Only my form will allow me to do that, if I'm playing well enough and get back into the starting team. You can't be captain from the bench.''

When Cayless was in the run-on side and had his interchange breaks, other players, especially long-time deputy Daniel Wagon, would handle the duty of talking with the referee when required.
Cayless thought he'd ``done all right'' against the Panthers.

``I'm not doing anything different, just a few little things that Brian wants me to work on.''

He believes his form will be fine for the game against Wests Tigers at home, on Friday week.
The form of Paul Stringer, the starting prop who has held his place since Cayless's switch, has also been down, and some would argue more so.

coca-cola

Juniors
cayless is right about the need to stick together. thats why the hair strands on the head of john morris are so special.

Eelementary

Post Whore
dazeely said:
Cayless in leader mode
BRAD EARL
12apr06
NATHAN Cayless doesn't know if he will get the Parramatta Eels captaincy back but he is committed to continuing to help lift the team he's led for so long.

"I still see myself as a leader in the club and I'll be doing everything I can, everything in my power, to get us playing as a team and get us playing well," Cayless said.

The Advertiser spoke to the front-rower on Monday after the side had held what has been dubbed in some quarters as a crisis meeting.
The Eels lost 44-18 to the Penrith Panthers at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday and have now won only once in five matches this season.

They have the bye this week.

"Everyone's got their feelings and we expressed a lot of our opinions yesterday after the game and again today," Cayless said.
"Obviously people are going to start criticising us.
"When you're winning everyone loves you but if you're losing, everyone wants to ask why it's not happening. We're all doing that ourselves at the moment.

"It's just a matter of sticking together and working hard and hopefully a win's just around the corner."
This was Cayless's seventh year as Eels skipper but he lasted only three rounds before coach Brian Smith put him on interchange and installed Nathan Hindmarsh in the role.

``Brian sort of said, give it to Hindy and take a bit of pressure off me, and try and get some form back,'' Cayless explained.
Asked if he expected to get the job back, he said: ``I'm not sure.

``Only my form will allow me to do that, if I'm playing well enough and get back into the starting team. You can't be captain from the bench.''

When Cayless was in the run-on side and had his interchange breaks, other players, especially long-time deputy Daniel Wagon, would handle the duty of talking with the referee when required.
Cayless thought he'd ``done all right'' against the Panthers.

``I'm not doing anything different, just a few little things that Brian wants me to work on.''

He believes his form will be fine for the game against Wests Tigers at home, on Friday week.
The form of Paul Stringer, the starting prop who has held his place since Cayless's switch, has also been down, and some would argue more so.

Eh?

Only fans 'love' you...So what? Are you insinuating that the fans shouldn't question your poor form?

Hurriflatch

Referee
The media as well

When the teams winning you hear postive reports in the paper (unless it's the Bulldogs) but when you're losing every time more the 2 players meet it's called a crisis meeting

and if the #1, #2 and #4 players at the club meet then it's because of problems with the #3 player

coca-cola

Juniors
eelementary, i think cayless was just making an observation. its pretty lame to have a go at him for anything he said in that article.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Likewise it's lame of him to expect that people shouldn't criticise the team when under-performing.

I'm sorry, but that's the way I took it.

His implication is that when all is fine and dandy, the fans are happy. But when they're struggling, suddenly the fans get worse...What does he expect?

We all LOVE and SUPPORT the Eels, win, lose or draw - but surely, it's reasonable for us all to question why we're struggling?

coca-cola

Juniors
cayless never states that expectation. in fact he lumps everyone in with the players whom he states are also questioning why its not happening. and surely hes not having a go at his fellow players.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well, that's the suggestion that I took from the text.

You'll pardon me, but in HSC Extension II English it's what they teach you - to look past the words on paper and see sub-text and sub-meanings.

coca-cola

Juniors
awesome, that sounds very impressive. but it doesnt change the fact that cayless is clearly not having a go at us, the fans.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I wasn't trying to sound like I'm better than anyone. I was merely saying that I read things and think of implied meanings as well as literal meanings.

Anyway. No biggie.

Utey

Coach
Stop talking captain and do it. If the club were smart they would enforce a media ban asap.

Stagger eel

Staff member
<UPtheEELS> said:
Stop talking captain and do it. If the club were smart they would enforce a media ban asap.

unfortunately, that won't go down too well with our sponsors.

fish eel

Immortal
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

You dont need a media ban.

You just need to watch what you say.

I think what needs to happen is Smith, the senior players and our media lad need to sit down and say 'OK, we'll talk to the media, but until we're out of this slump, this is all we're going to say'. Give 'em a phucking script. And give the journos the answers YOU want to give.....not the answers they want you to give.

Bigfella

Coach
Josh Perry smashed us Round 1

Luke Lewis Trent Waterhouse and Joel Clinton carved us last week

Hodges rampaged in round 3

We keep bagging opposition players on the forums who then come out and tear us a new one!