What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Juniors
Titans have shown that admitting a heartland team is no less risky than admitting a expasnion area. It's a 3 horse race WA, CC and Brisbane 2 (Bombers or WC). At the moment all 3 offer their own strengths and weaknesses, the ARLC will have a tough job deciding.

Not quite correct - it shows that admitting a bid built on $1 shelf companies in a tourist town full of distractions, populated by expat transients and dodgy entrepreneurs is not the way of the future. History is proving the NRL got it wrong AGAIN. How many failed G.Coast franchises now? Add the soccer one and G.Coast takes the bikkies as the graveyard for professional sporting franchises.

CQ Italia

Juniors
The ARLC will have a lot of spare cash to spend, hopefully they invest it wisely. If we have our bid as tight as i am led to believe it is then the extra financial support in WA will be in growing and marketing the game. not in propping up the income level of the NRL team. Titans have shown that admitting a heartland team is no less risky than admitting a expasnion area. It's a 3 horse race WA, CC and Brisbane 2 (Bombers or WC). At the moment all 3 offer their own strengths and weaknesses, the ARLC will have a tough job deciding.

CQ NRL Bid's business plan is ready to go almost and will provide a strong case of viability. CQ just might be the roughie that shows the right credentials and form at the right time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Possibly and we still have to see if the NZ bids actually come forward. A betting man though would be putting their money on one of the three areas I stated.CQ are one for the future I feel.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
The next Central Coast Bears membership drive is on @

Sunday 25th March
Avoca Beachside Markets

Heazelett Park
9am - 2pm

gyallop

Juniors
me ..feeling sorry for you .......love the passion and if it was a heart vote you have mine but it isnt and that is a fact. No matter how hard you push , the effort you give , the passion you have facts are stubborn things!

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
me ..feeling sorry for you .......love the passion and if it was a heart vote you have mine but it isnt and that is a fact. No matter how hard you push , the effort you give , the passion you have facts are stubborn things!

Why do you feel sorry for us? Because we are putting in genuine community effort? Because we have passionate people around the bid? You feel sorry for people putting in hard work? It's this hard work which has defined history, not just rugby league but history in general.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not that I am sure you want to contemplate it but if you don't get in this time will The Bears abandon the CC or is it possible they would move all the club up there anyway and run a CC Bears NSW cup team and base themselves in Gosford to ensure it remains an option for the future?

Beowulf

Juniors
Not that I am sure you want to contemplate it but if you don't get in this time will The Bears abandon the CC or is it possible they would move all the club up there anyway and run a CC Bears NSW cup team and base themselves in Gosford to ensure it remains an option for the future?

My read on the intentions of the club is that 100% of funds and effort is going into this bid, and if it fails the Bears shut up shop for good. The next question would be would they continue at all as the NS Bears or lower the club colours...but it won't come to that - failure is not an option!

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
I think upping sticks to gosford permanently would be a smart move. The NRL will eventually want a team at least half located at Gosford, and the Bears as a half Sydney half Gosford entity would fit the needs. It would just need a licence to be freed up first.

Someone in Sydney will relocate or fold eventually, my money would be on Manly or Cronulla. The Bears should try to lock down the CC to prevent relocation of another club to the CC, and then either take that licence or a future expansion licence.

TV rights negotiations are clearly pointing expansion towards Brisbane and Perth. But even with a big money TV deal, some Sydney clubs will still struggle.

Beowulf

Juniors
I think upping sticks to gosford permanently would be a smart move. The NRL will eventually want a team at least half located at Gosford, and the Bears as a half Sydney half Gosford entity would fit the needs. It would just need a licence to be freed up first.

Someone in Sydney will relocate or fold eventually, my money would be on Manly or Cronulla. The Bears should try to lock down the CC to prevent relocation of another club to the CC, and then either take that licence or a future expansion licence.

TV rights negotiations are clearly pointing expansion towards Brisbane and Perth. But even with a big money TV deal, some Sydney clubs will still struggle.

Sponsors/owners have said they won't fund the CC Bears indefinitely - we must know our fate this year or its over. The problem is, the NRL have known how keen the Bears are for readmission, so the're mindset has been 'we can always put them in when we get around to it'...which means the Bears keep getting put off.

The CC Bears owners like anyone don't have unlimited pockets. Why should they fund offices in Erina for the next 5, 10 years if there's no guaranteed license? What about the 8,000 financial members? They will all expire end of 2012, and unless there is a guarantee that either we're in in 2015 or worst case a guarantee we're in 2019, no one will continue, no merchandise will be sold, no sponsors for jerseys etc...we're back to square one, but even worse, as those like me that HAD abandoned the game but came back for one last time with the prospect of the Bears readmission, will be lost forever to the game. And we won't walk away, we'll run.

Which will mean no CC team ever, because there will be no-one to connect with in northern Sydney, and if Illawarra isn't big enough to sustain a team, neither is CC.

Its like an unfaithful partner - the Bears have been cheated on and lied to so many times over the past 14 years - there comes a point when you draw a line in the sand. 31 Dec 2012 is our line.

In a funny sort of way if the GC Titans go to the wall that could work in the Bears favour as I'm sure that the people who run the game will want a NRL club between Sydney and Brisbane.

gyallop

Juniors
Bear how is that half empty glass...that is exactly why I will feel sorry for your group....unrewarded effort..........but as it seems that you will be happy not to win.....and speaking of history doesnt that sound like the old North Sydney Bad News Bears ....and justify a loss in advance so be it.

Beowulf

Juniors

Singo lays boot into Titans

Adrian Proszenko

art-353-john-singleton-200x0.jpg
"A central coast team is the biggest no-brainer in the world" ... Singleton.

JOHN SINGLETON has savaged the NRL's decision to award its most recent licence to the Gold Coast, claiming the Titans' financial debacle would never have happened had the central coast got the nod.
The Titans pipped the Bears for NRL admission when the game expanded in 2007, even though Singleton promised to underwrite the Bears' future with a $50 million bank cheque. Despite the financial guarantee, the presence of a new stadium at Gosford and the assembly of a crack team under coach-in-waiting Warren Ryan, the NRL overlooked the central coast.
The Titans are in danger of becoming the fifth Gold Coast franchise to fold following the closure of the Giants, Seagulls, Gladiators and Chargers in the 1990s.
Advertisement: Story continues below
The multimillionaire advertising guru said the Titans' financial drama was further proof the NRL made the wrong decision.
''It doesn't seem very wise, does it?'' Singleton told The Sun-Herald yesterday from the United States. ''At that stage we had the ground - which was a federal and state government-funded ground and the council owned the land - plus $45 million and a $50 million bank guarantee to guarantee everything.
''We had Warren Ryan as head coach and David Fairleigh as [assistant] coach. We'd sign up, on conditional contracts, a fantastic team. Matty Orford was going to be the first captain, along with [Mark] O'Meley and [Paul] Stringer - all those guys who wanted to come back.
''We'd signed the whole first-grade team, 17 from 17 approaches. A 100 per cent strike rate. All on conditional contracts, but we never released their names because they were still playing at other clubs. All the smart money was on the fact we would get the team and then the Gold Coast would be next, if and when they got some money and a stadium. I've never been able to work out why [it didn't happen].''
The Herald revealed the Gold Coast were in debt to the tune of at least $25 million, with the property arm owing the Commonwealth Bank $15 million. Titans boss Michael Searle stands to be liable following revelations he personally guaranteed the bank loan at the centre of the debt.
Singleton said he was stunned the NRL viewed the Gold Coast as a better option than the central coast.
''It seems strange to me to put [the Titans] ahead of the central coast when they had no ground and we had a beautiful new ground - and we had money and they had no money and we had a back guarantee,'' he said.
''The smoke and mirrors - for all the wrong reasons the Gold Coast gave the appearance of being successful [and I would have thought by now] on their fourth or fifth go that this time it would work.
''The central coast has never had a go, that's the frustration of it. I care less now about the football than I do about the central coast. We had all of those tens of millions of dollars of taxpayer money, council ratepayers' money, and there is no [team] …
''If you got an actuary to work out what the bids would be [according to population and demographics], you'd find the value of a rugby league team to the central coast would only be higher at Brisbane, Newcastle, and touching there with Wollongong.''
The Bears are in a new fight for NRL admission along with Brisbane, central Queensland, Perth, Ipswich, Wellington and Papua New Guinea. While Singleton has stepped back from the process, he has agreed to a $2 million Bears funding deal through his Bluetongue Stadium.
''A central coast team is the biggest no-brainer in the world,'' Singleton said.

Goddo

Bench
Not a great look for singo. Hes probably aware Perth/Brisbane are favourites and is lashing out at the Titans in frustration.

Searle was stupid to get involved in so much property development, but the same thing could happen at other clubs, particularily the privately owned clubs (Souths, Cronulla imediately come to mind. Balmain with their leagues club development also). Doesn't make the Titans a bad decision by the NRL. The ARLC will not let the Gold Coast go without an NRL club.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
What's comments are stupid? The Gold Coast has been a brand which has failed multiple time. He was bankrolling a bid with a large sum of money, money which alot of clubs could only wish to have. He had the system in place, the support etc... This mans successes are something most of us on here could only wish to accomplish.

Beowulf

Juniors
Not a great look for singo. Hes probably aware Perth/Brisbane are favourites and is lashing out at the Titans in frustration.

Searle was stupid to get involved in so much property development, but the same thing could happen at other clubs, particularily the privately owned clubs (Souths, Cronulla imediately come to mind. Balmain with their leagues club development also). Doesn't make the Titans a bad decision by the NRL. The ARLC will not let the Gold Coast go without an NRL club.

THe Football Dept was leaking money also. It says more abt the judgement of the NRL, choosing Searle over the Bears/Singo. Thats 6 failed SEQ franchises. If they protect the Titans, zero chance of another SEQ side in the short/medium term. They will be looking for zero risk.

Singo's saying what everyone in RL is thinking in NSW - to contemplate a bailout is an insult to not just the Bears but Rabbitohs, Dragons, Steelers, Magpies, Tigers fans.

They ARLC have no option but Bears and a WA side of some form (Sharks or WA Reds and CQLD Sharks) - new decision makers who will learn fom the mistakes of their predecessors.

I think you underestimate the fury down here at present...am wearing my Bears jersey this weekend everywhere and have had rugby league fans from all clubs coming up to me saying ' you guys were rorted, they've no choice but to put you in now.' Its the fans game so Gallop says and this is the ARLC's chance to prove it.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
I want the CC Bears in but I can't see how the Titans coming or going will open the door for the Bears unless they become the Gold Coast Bears. Only way the CC Bears will get in is if a Sydney club falls over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts