What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

Expansion

Juniors
I thought the people at the head of this bid said if this bid fails this time around they would give up?

Beowulf

Juniors
I thought the people at the head of this bid said if this bid fails this time around they would give up?
Whoa! Who said the bid had failed? John Grant said no expansion for at least 5 years, but we've heard that all before 8 years ago...then 6 months later the Titans were slipped in the back door.

Haven't heard anything come out of NRL HQ since their meeting on Oct 12...who knows, perhaps Grant got dressed down by the other commissioners, many (if not most) of whom are in favour of expansion sooner than he envisaged.

As far as I'm aware all bids are awaiting some strategic direction which is anticipated in the next few months....till then we're all in limbo....unless someone has heard to the contrary?

Last edited:

Expansion

Juniors
Whoa! Who said the bid had failed? John Grant said no expansion for at least 5 years, but we've heard that all before 8 years ago...then 6 months later the Titans were slipped in the back door.

Haven't heard anything come out of NRL HQ since their meeting on Oct 12...who knows, perhaps Grant got dressed down by the other commissioners, many (if not most) of whom are in favour of expansion sooner than he envisaged.

As far as I'm aware all bids are awaiting some strategic direction which is anticipated in the next few months....till then we're all in limbo....unless someone has heard to the contrary?

Relax Beowulf, I didn't say the current Central Coast Bears bid had failed, infact what I said was "if this bid fails ...".

I was following on the conversation from the previous thread about this bid which was discussing what could/should/would happen if the NRL came out and said the Central Coast is not on the list for expansion in the next ten years.

Beowulf

Juniors
Relax Beowulf, I didn't say the current Central Coast Bears bid had failed, infact what I said was "if this bid fails ...".

I was following on the conversation from the previous thread about this bid which was discussing what could/should/would happen if the NRL came out and said the Central Coast is not on the list for expansion in the next ten years.

No worries! I think my fear is that the nrl won't do that. They won't squash hopes for the coast or bears for fear that people (which they would) will drift to other codes. Instead they'll vaguely offer faint hope for the future, stringing everyone along.

That won't be acceptable any more to central coast or bears fans.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Isn't the reason there is no expansion purely because of the new TV deal. Once this expires or comes close to ending new clubs will be announced by the league.

docbrown

Coach
http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/10/21/plight-of-north-sydney-is-too-much-to-bear/

Before we get into the nitty gritty let me just put one thing on the record – I am not nor have I ever been a North Sydney Bears supporter.

What I am first and foremost is a rugby league fan. When the Super League fiasco died down I was one of the lucky ones whose team was guaranteed a future. But some fans weren’t so fortunate.

Well before the days of mergers and expulsions, the NSWRL/ARL were already on the path to transforming a state competition into an Australian league. The Bears management at the time realised not every Sydney club would make the transition in their existing form – it was a case of adapt or die.

To this aim the Bears looked at the fringes of their heartland to the Central Coast, an area which had even been touted as an expansion prospect way back when Illawarra and Canberra first came into being.

It made logical sense – keep their existing North Sydney support base and grow the club on the adjacent overlooked coast. And so the club went about its business.

A war, a merger and an expulsion later, the Bears are in the wilderness and both North Sydney and Central Coast remain unrepresented. At the moment the new commission faces an interesting question – if the competition does expand, will the Central Coast make the cut?

What I would suggest to the commissioners is this – if the Central Coast is no longer a viable expansion location then the NRL should seek to set the Bears brand up elsewhere. Sure – you can have all the Orcas and Pirates you want – but why throw out a good club with a 104 year old history and a legion of fans in North Sydney and the Central Coast?

If Gosford isn’t going to happen within the next twenty years then the ARLC should work towards re-establishing the Bears brand in Perth, Brisbane or New Zealand as one of the next two expansion clubs – similar to the Lions and Swans in the AFL. Imagine seeing the red and black playing again and finally healing one of the game’s wounds.

The benefit is obvious – the Bears club would still have to travel to Sydney for games. The NRL could schedule games against clubs like the Eels, Tigers, Roosters & Sea Eagles etc – all clubs that border the traditional North Sydney territory.

So now you have an expansion club but one with the ability to bring a large group of away supporters to other clubs home games.

Plus it’s a brand that already has existing rivalries – the Bears could even play one home game at North Sydney Oval against the Sea Eagles, a game that would no doubt sell out year in, year out. That kind of revitalisation of interest on the north side of the harbour would do wonders for the game.

But the NRL also needs to make a final decision on the Central Coast. If it’s truly not going to be a full time team location then perhaps also the 4-5 neutral games should continue to be played there but they could feature the Bears as the away team. There is a Bears fan base that has been forged on the coast – don’t let it go to waste.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The benefit is obvious – the Bears club would still have to travel to Sydney for games. The NRL could schedule games against clubs like the Eels, Tigers, Roosters & Sea Eagles etc – all clubs that border the traditional North Sydney territory.

Been saying this for years..

The answer should be Brisbane though...I believe that the Bears were already pretty well supported in Brisbane when they were in the comp...

Perth & NZ2 should be start up teams...

BuffaloRules

Coach
And on another note, the Red & Black horizontal stripes ( as stolen by West Sydney Wanderers) does make a great jersey...

Jason Maher

Immortal
The return of the Bears and Perth would undo the two great injustices/moments of utter stupidity in the aftermath of superjoke. The NRL should have backed the Bears move to the Central Coast, and they should have supported the Reds instead of sacrificing them for the purple scum.

docbrown

Coach
The return of the Bears and Perth would undo the two great injustices/moments of utter stupidity in the aftermath of superjoke.

Indeed and even the resurrection of a QRL franchise as the second Brisbane team could complete the trinity.

Honestly there's some really intelligent and insightful discussion going on about this article:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/10/21/plight-of-north-sydney-is-too-much-to-bear/

It really is time for the NRL to heal these wounds before it's too late.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
A historic question, if the Bears paid for the building of Bluetongue how come they don't own it, and who does?

Beowulf

Juniors
A historic question, if the Bears paid for the building of Bluetongue how come they don't own it, and who does?
Gosford city council is the landlord and John Singleton the leasee. The Bears basically put all their cash into the stadium and convinced local, state and fed govts to foot the balance as they had been guaranteed a place in the competition by the arl. The govts contributed most funds so the Bears dont own it and never did - we did own 100% playing rights and still have 20%, meaning no team can be based there till our lease expires in abt 2021. Obviously we could be paid out if the figure was right and we were told no team ever or offered a slot interstate.

Hopefully Joe Hockey, Barry O'Farrell and the Gosford council and local member (all massive bid supporters) will lean on the ARLC about a return on investment IF no expansion ensues.

I reckon it's time for the North Sydney Bears NSW Cup side to move their entire set up to the Central Coast, that means no North Sydney Bears in any senior level, just purely on a junior level. Keep Norths League's as is.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Juniors
I reckon it's time for the North Sydney Bears NSW Cup side to move their entire set up to the Central Coast, that means no North Sydney Bears in any senior level, just purely on a junior level. Keep Norths League's as is.

Prob won't happen as Wyong have just entered the NSW Cup for 2013.

Will be interested to see if Grant or Mattiske had the decency to call Flo (or any of the other bid teams for that matter) before todays announcement...would be the least they could do. Grant said today he felt for some bid teams who had spent a year working on their bids. Is he for real??? The Bears have been working on reinstatment for 10 years, and WA for a while also. NFI.

Latest posts