What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

I just think using that one particular game, doesn't reflect manly, use another and I'm on board for sure.
Then let's look at their record at Brookvale. The last time they averaged more tham 13k was 2013. Since then their averages have been below standard:

https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/brookvale_vn.html

They peaked in 2006 with 15,484.

All Büllshit, you've set up only 18 possible licences, when infinity is possible, you're dumb metrics have retrained your thinking to only being able to afford only 18 clubs, theres no time frame here, thus culling everything that gets presented by the media as a failure of some sorts, read the news, but don't believe it doesn't come with an agenda. Perth might not come for another decade, and another qld team after that, your assuming we get rid of 4 teams to branch into new areas who might be any better than where we are already, why not do both?
I've explained why the most we can ever have is 20, which will not be happening within the next 15 or 20 years at the very least. PVL and Abdo have spoken about a 17th and 18th team.

There isn't enough money to support 19 or 20 teams right now unless you lower the salary cap and reduce the annual grant to just 100% of the salary cap, which will never be accepted by the clubs and RLPA.

Can you explain where the money for 20 or more teams will come from in 2028-2035?

MugaB

Coach
Can you explain where the money for 20 or more teams will come from in 2028-2035?
Not sure you can explain it either, but as far as broadcast deals if there's a genuine need to spend 2 billion on rugby league now, when arl was running off 500k, maybe it might be 3-4 billion in a decade or 2, not saying in-house streaming wont happen, but you think we are somehow going backwards... expansion fool

Not sure you can explain it either, but as far as broadcast deals if there's a genuine need to spend 2 billion on rugby league now, when arl was running off 500k, maybe it might be 3-4 billion in a decade or 2, not saying in-house streaming wont happen, but you think we are somehow going backwards... expansion fool
Foxtel is in debt and commercial TV is dying. They won't be in a position to pay $4b over 5 years in 2030. They've made it clear that broadcast deals have reached their peak.

MugaB

Coach
Foxtel is in debt and commercial TV is dying. They won't be in a position to pay $4b over 5 years in 2030. They've made it clear that broadcast deals have reached their peak.
Who said foxtel or nine will pay this amount? There are ther channels in the world, one's that have way better coverage and marketing than that of channel 9, I'm not saying we will go to them, im just saying there's more options than those 2

Who said foxtel or nine will pay this amount? There are ther channels in the world, one's that have way better coverage and marketing than that of channel 9, I'm not saying we will go to them, im just saying there's more options than those 2
Ch7 is struggling and prefer AwFuL. Ch10 won't outbid Ch9. They've made it clear that they're not paying overs for sport. International streaming companies won't pay for a sport that's a big fish in a small pond. By that stage we might be a medium size fish in a small pond.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ch7 is struggling and prefer AwFuL. Ch10 won't outbid Ch9. They've made it clear that they're not paying overs for sport. International streaming companies won't pay for a sport that's a big fish in a small pond. By that stage we might be a medium size fish in a small pond.

I could see Ch9 and 10 both getting some fta rights in the future, especially if we have 20 clubs. One thing we do need to change the mindset on is that every game has to be stand alone live on tv. There’s no need and it’s killing attendances by playing at sht times. If there’s a game on I’m not interested in I go and do something else, if there was two games on at same time good chance one of them would be interesting enough to have me watch it.

I could see Ch9 and 10 both getting some fta rights in the future, especially if we have 20 clubs. One thing we do need to change the mindset on is that every game has to be stand alone live on tv. There’s no need and it’s killing attendances by playing at sht times. If there’s a game on I’m not interested in I go and do something else, if there was two games on at same time good chance one of them would be interesting enough to have me watch it.
Agreed. I'd like to know if the Foxtel deal says every game has to be in a unique timeslot, as it'll make expansion difficult if it does. NZ2 as the 18th team would allow for a 12pm AEST game played in Auckland, plus another 2 games in Australia at 2pm and 4pm. If it's a clause written into the contract, then it weakens the ARLC's bargaining position with FTA, in regards to Brisbane 2, as the benefit in that would be to have 2 games played at 7.30pm Friday, with one specifically for Brisbane and the other for Sydney. That would maximise ratings for the commercial broadcaster who has the rights.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We have no idea what he has given away in the fox rights, I have no doubt though that stand alone is still there. Nrl lacks the vision to be setting itself up for anything more than the next couple of years ahead.

we used to have that but people moaned about games on replay!

We have no idea what he has given away in the fox rights, I have no doubt though that stand alone is still there. Nrl lacks the vision to be setting itself up for anything more than the next couple of years ahead.

we used to have that but people moaned about games on replay!
That's why I am so frustrated with the state of the game. We're always changing the rules of the gameplay, out of hope it will bring more people through the gates, but it hasn't worked. At some stage our leaders will need to conduct research on why the game isn't growing and put measures in place to correct it. Clubs will always oppose any radical change as they're part of the problem and fear being cut loose so the game can grow, but if we let them direct the ship then we will concede more ground to our competitors and run ourselves out business. It's a car crash in slow motion.

MugaB

Coach
That's why I am so frustrated with the state of the game. We're always changing the rules of the gameplay, out of hope it will bring more people through the gates, but it hasn't worked. At some stage our leaders will need to conduct research on why the game isn't growing and put measures in place to correct it. Clubs will always oppose any radical change as they're part of the problem and fear being cut loose so the game can grow, but if we let them direct the ship then we will concede more ground to our competitors and run ourselves out business. It's a car crash in slow motion.
Its almost like they're just flip floping hey?

Maybe North Sydney Bears should relocate permanently to Gosford, rebrand as the Central Coast Bears at all levels, and just focus on developing the game there. NSW Cup needs more regional representation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They claimed they were relocating there 22 years ago. Time for them to live up to their word. They could do more for RL by relocating to Central Coast and letting Roosters or Sea Eagles absorb North Sydney's district.

again why should they? There is zero benefit to them to locate their club to Gosford as a Nsw cup,team. They don’t exist to benefit RL, they exist as a north Sydney RL and leagues club. There is no reason Roosters can’t be the nrl club that represent the lower north shore at the top tier level whilst north Sydney remain as the local amateur club. Nothing stopping roosters visiting schools, partnering with jnr clubs for kids memberships, being in shopping centres etc right now if they had the will to do so.
No one is suggesting Mounties or Blacktown should relocate so the nearby nrl clubs can take over.
Same way manly should parter with a central coast club to enter nsw cup.
it makes no sense for roosters to be partnered with gosford.

Last edited:
again why should they? There is zero benefit to them to locate their club to Gosford as a Nsw cup,team. They don’t exist to benefit RL, they exist as a north Sydney RL and leagues club. There is no reason Roosters can’t be the nrl club that represent the lower north shore at the top tier level whilst north Sydney remain as the local amateur club. Nothing stopping roosters visiting schools, partnering with jnr clubs for kids memberships, being in shopping centres etc right now if they had the will to do so.
No one is suggesting Mounties or Blacktown should relocate so the nearby nrl clubs can take over.
Same way manly should parter with a central coast club to enter nsw cup.
it makes no sense for roosters to be partnered with gosford.
If they were serious about relocating to Gosford then they would have entered the NSW First Division in 2000 as Central Coast Bears, playing out of Central Coast Stadium before Northern Eagles games.

A NSW Cup game at Central Coast Stadium featuring the Central Coast Bears would probably rake in more supporters than a North Sydney Bears game at whichever park they play at.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they were serious about relocating to Gosford then they would have entered the NSW First Division in 2000 as Central Coast Bears, playing out of Central Coast Stadium before Northern Eagles games.

A NSW Cup game at Central Coast Stadium featuring the Central Coast Bears would probably rake in more supporters than a North Sydney Bears game at whichever park they play at.

You don’t move your entire club and structure for “maybe” a few hundred fans! Bears going to gosford with no sign of it be a precursor to entering the nrl as CC Bears makes absolutely no business sense for them.