What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDGS

Bench
Private ownership is in place. What Ken Sayer is doing is basically being a majority owner not out right owner as some would assume.

So this is Ken Sayer not Mortgage house?

Ken Sayer buying a bit of the Bears as any other citizen could?

Red Bear

Referee
Hmmmm

I guess this is the way forward for clubs to guarentee survival (ie Manly, Souths, soon Newcastle, NZ, Brisbane), not to mention Saints and Wests are mergers. Are then Parra, Canterbury, Easts Cronulla Penrith the last 'community' owned clubs (ie run by a board appointed by football club members) as all clubs were previously?

If it gets us in the comp, fair enough, and if it simply majority ownership, not complete ownership, also good (which I believe is similar to the model proposed when Singo was on board in the 04/05 bid?) that is also preferable.

Still not exactly what I ideally would've wanted, but I guess its the way forward for clubs these days. The big reservation is of course if this Mortgage House person decides he doesnt want to be involved anymore, what happens then (much like if Rusty decides he's sick of owning the Rabbits, Penn and Delmage are over the Eagles etc). Also a bit sad just because League always was the peoples game

Funny, the two major football codes in Australia (NRL and AFL) are getting more and more polar opposite. AFL clubs seems to have a membership structure that allows for voting on important issues, yet represent there area in name only, playing in different locality and having no form of junior/community interaction.
Meanwhile Rugby League sides seem to be heading more towards private ownership, which is seen more commonly in various league across the world (eg Liverpool owned by a couple of Yanks, Steinbrenners at the Yankees etc), yet still remains steadfastly community sides in that they do run their junior comps, get invovled and bring players through the local system rather than a draft.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
So this is Ken Sayer not Mortgage house?

Ken Sayer buying a bit of the Bears as any other citizen could?

Basically. Mortage House is major sponsor. Ken Sayer wants to be majority owner. I'd do the same if my familys building company was big enough. :)

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
If Keny Sayer decides he doesn't want to be part of it anymore, I'll sell the company, land and assests I own and try to take over. Lol not sure how my family would react but I wouldn't hesitate.

Dgsfan, how's the egg on your face? Dribbling down your chin yet?

Alex28

Coach
Private ownership is in place. What Ken Sayer is doing is basically being a majority owner not out right owner as some would assume.
There really needs to be more info to come out otherwise is it just second guessing and speculation. The article just says "private ownership". Doesn't say anything about a partnership with the members, nor does it suggest there are "majority" or "minority" owners. The article implies that Ken Sayer has bought the lot.

PB

Bench
the Mortgage House website suggests it is a sponsorship, not ownership

Also, did you look through their history of sponsorship.. it suggests they like to up and move to a different club/sport/area every couple of years...

Either way if i were a supporter of the Central Coast bid, or the NRL, i would be a little concerned with trusting them to hang around for the long run and wouldn't endorse any sort of majority ownership or private ownership invovling them. Sponsorship, no problem, but no more....

History of Sponsorship

2009 - NOW: Central Coast Bears (NRL)
2006 - 08: Melbourne Storm (NRL)
2006 - 07: Sydney Roosters (NRL)
2004: Brisbane Broncos (NRL)
2002 - 04: St Kilda Saints (AFL)
2000 - 02: Parramatta Eels (NRL)
1999 - 05: Sydney Kings (NBL)

http://mortgagehouse.com.au/about-us/corporate-sponsorship.aspx

BuffaloRules

Coach
Fair enough..

Is he a CC boy or ex Bears supporter?

I do admire that he can be so committed to a club that isnt even on the field yet.

BDGS

Bench
the Mortgage House website suggests it is a sponsorship, not ownership

Also, did you look through their history of sponsorship.. it suggests they like to up and move to a different club/sport/area every couple of years...

Either way if i were a supporter of the Central Coast bid, or the NRL, i would be a little concerned with trusting them to hang around for the long run and wouldn't endorse any sort of majority ownership or private ownership invovling them. Sponsorship, no problem, but no more....

That is true but if you forget sponsorship for a second and IF he is buying part of the club look at his history of owning clubs.

For Sayer, the attraction as a sponsor and board member was the opportunity to help build the club from the ground up. He's been a sponsor of Parramatta and the Sydney Roosters and a part-owner of the Sydney Kings basketball franchise.

But he's never been more excited about a sporting venture.

You have this for the Sydney Kings, 1999-2005 Sydney Kings, that is 7 years at the one club where he was part owner of. That sounds pretty good to me.

Note: I'm not sure if he was part owner for the whole time though. nevertheless it still shows some form of loyalty and commitment for an extended period.

Beowulf

Juniors
Haha f**k me dead this is a good day!

Probably the greatest day for the Bears since the late 1990's, that's for sure! Particularly when combined with the NRL's comments and Newcastle's acceptance in principle of the Tinkler bid.

I think R&B Bear's on the right track re the structure, but before any more comments are made I think we need to wait until the ownerships structure is clear. Between R&B Bear and myself we should have the facts w/in 24hrs. I know the CC Bears Board voted unanimously for it - anything else is just speculation.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think he will, he had dipped in and out of other clubs, doesn't like the way those clubs were run etc. Bears is something that truly excites him.

I'm not surprised, he has basically got a NRL club (maybe) for (seemingly) very little outlay. i'd be excited as well! I'd want to hear alot more detail about this as first time I have seen it mentioned at all in the bid before seeing it as a positvie or a negative. How much does he own? What is he paying for it exactly? What is he getting for that money in terms of sponsorship rights etc? What guarantees does he give re name, location etc

Thye have opened up a bit of a can of worms with that one sentance, I wonder if they meant to say it?

Alex28

Coach
Isn't it a little concerning that the offer wasn't even publicised to the members before the board even voted on it?

I could just imagine the reaction in Newcastle if Tinkler's takeover went that way...

Beowulf

Juniors
Is the NRL's biggest threat AFL? Yes. That is surely beyond argument.

If the NRL wants to be around in 20 years it isn't good enough to have 15,000 average crowd attendances, it needs to be 30,000. That, IMO rules the Central Coast out.

That rules out everyone except Brisbane (and then only just). Small comp, that one!

RL is a tribal game played on suburban grounds with huge fan bases watching predominantly on TV - different to AFL which is virtually the reverse.

As for the rest, today is a day to savour as a Bears fan, so I couldn't be buggered!

BDGS

Bench
I'm not surprised, he has basically got a NRL club (maybe) for (seemingly) very little outlay. i'd be excited as well! I'd want to hear alot more detail about this as first time I have seen it mentioned at all in the bid before seeing it as a positvie or a negative. How much does he own? What is he paying for it exactly? What is he getting for that money in terms of sponsorship rights etc? What guarantees does he give re name, location etc

Thye have opened up a bit of a can of worms with that one sentance, I wonder if they meant to say it?

Patience mate, all will be revealed soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts