What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgsfan

Juniors
Virtually the reverse? By that I take it you mean huge fan base predominantly attending games at large modern stadiums, with a small amount watching on TV? FMD you Bears fans are living in another world.

BDGS

Bench
Virtually the reverse? By that I take it you mean huge fan base predominantly attending games at large modern stadiums, with a small amount watching on TV? FMD you Bears fans are living in another world.

If you keep stamping those feet young man, daddy won't buy you a present at the shops today.

Beowulf

Juniors

Don't care today! Keep ranting!

dgsfan

Juniors
Haha "Don't care today" = "Damn, someone caught me out"! You tried hard, I guess. That's all that counts.

skeepe

Immortal
Probably the greatest day for the Bears since the late 1990's, that's for sure! Particularly when combined with the NRL's comments and Newcastle's acceptance in principle of the Tinkler bid.

I think R&B Bear's on the right track re the structure, but before any more comments are made I think we need to wait until the ownerships structure is clear. Between R&B Bear and myself we should have the facts w/in 24hrs. I know the CC Bears Board voted unanimously for it - anything else is just speculation.

They were NOT the NRL's comments, they were Mr Sayer's interpretation. There has been no direct quote from the NRL to confirm that that is correct, despite the premature ejaculating in here.

PB

Bench
That is true but if you forget sponsorship for a second and IF he is buying part of the club look at his history of owning clubs.

You have this for the Sydney Kings, 1999-2005 Sydney Kings, that is 7 years at the one club where he was part owner of. That sounds pretty good to me.

Note: I'm not sure if he was part owner for the whole time though. nevertheless it still shows some form of loyalty and commitment for an extended period.

That is a fair point. Although i believe it was a consortium that he was apart of and it would have been no where near the same $ value. From memory he had previously been a spsonsor of the Kings then took the club from David Koch and his business partner (who ruined the empire created by Mike Wrublewski).
I would like to hear the circumstances under which Tim johnstone came to own the franchise in 06 because if he was as under handed then as he was when his businesses went bust two years later, you wouldn't want the club in the hands of someone who would do business with people of this ilk.

The Kings did have some success from 99-05 (well 02-05) but most would accredit that to Brett Brown's recruitment and then arguably the best coach across all sports in this Country, Brian Goorjian - but then Goorjian had to be lured to the Kings. Maybe Sayer had some say in that, who knows..

BDGS

Bench
They were NOT the NRL's comments, they were Mr Sayer's interpretation. There has been no direct quote from the NRL to confirm that that is correct, despite the premature ejaculating in here.

They were NOT the NRL's comments, they were Mr Sayer's interpretation. There has been no direct quote from the NRL to confirm that has been published, despite the premature ejaculating in here.

Fixed.

skeepe

Immortal
They were NOT the NRL's comments, they were Mr Sayer's interpretation. There has been no direct quote from the NRL to confirm that has been published, despite the premature ejaculating in here.

Fixed.

You made it longer but still say exactly the same thing. Jackanape.

BDGS

Bench
You made it longer but still say exactly the same thing. Jackanape.

Not sure what that is, and nope its not the exactly same thing. You said there was no direct quote from the NRL, I'm saying its possible that people have direct quotes from the NRL and aren't publishing them or whatever reason.

PB

Bench
Is the NRL's biggest threat AFL? Yes. That is surely beyond argument.

If the NRL wants to be around in 20 years it isn't good enough to have 15,000 average crowd attendances, it needs to be 30,000. That, IMO rules the Central Coast out.

That rules out everyone except Brisbane (and then only just). Small comp, that one!

RL is a tribal game played on suburban grounds with huge fan bases watching predominantly on TV - different to AFL which is virtually the reverse.

I realise nobody has average crowds of 30,000 now. But if you are planning strategically and looking into where you need to be in 5 - 10 and 20 years time, in 20 years time, crowds of 15,000 won't be good enough when the AFL is filling stadiums all over the country. Why would Mortgage House, Coke, Toyota or any company/media outlet with big bucks put their money to a sport which reaches fewer people and has no aspirations of reaching more people than one which constantly shows better business practice and more desire to grow.
AFL is tribal, It's more tribal than league, don't kid yourself on that.

Sport is about entertainment. Creating glitz and glamor, bringing the wow factor. Subruban grounds while they provide a good atmosphere for those crammed in at the ground, they are very limiting for TV production and are signs of a gam eliving in the past, not thinking about the future.

BDGS

Bench
Rugby League is watched by more people in Australia then AFL is despite the AFL having larger attendances to games.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
As the end of the tunnel gets closer and the light gets brighter, the haters come out the woodwork bashing on insignificant points against the ccbears. The war is close to won but the ccbears will keep doing the right things and keep growing their brand. Keep hating because we'll keep celebrating.

BDGS

Bench
As the end of the tunnel gets closer and the light gets brighter, the haters come out the woodwork bashing on insignificant points against the ccbears. The war is close to won but the ccbears will keep doing the right things and keep growing their brand. Keep hating because we'll keep celebrating.

inner poet?

dgsfan

Juniors
I realise nobody has average crowds of 30,000 now. But if you are planning strategically and looking into where you need to be in 5 - 10 and 20 years time, in 20 years time, crowds of 15,000 won't be good enough when the AFL is filling stadiums all over the country. Why would Mortgage House, Coke, Toyota or any company/media outlet with big bucks put their money to a sport which reaches fewer people and has no aspirations of reaching more people than one which constantly shows better business practice and more desire to grow.
AFL is tribal, It's more tribal than league, don't kid yourself on that.

Sport is about entertainment. Creating glitz and glamor, bringing the wow factor. Subruban grounds while they provide a good atmosphere for those crammed in at the ground, they are very limiting for TV production and are signs of a gam eliving in the past, not thinking about the future.

Very intelligent post. I agree 100%.

Beowulf

Juniors
OK, got some word from the Bears.

Regarding the private ownership arrangement, a broad in-principle agreement re the concept and the amount has been modeled and approved by the NRL - the details of the arrangement are yet to be finalised. The Central Coast Bears board (on which Ken Sayer is a member of course) is still weighing up its options in terms of full or partial friendly takeover, community ownership etc etc. So we have a guarantee of finance with at least partial ownership, full ownership if need be, but not fine details at present.

The good news is the core fact of the story are correct, just that it may take a few weeks to finalise I believe so we get the full picture. I'd say it was released a few weeks early to give the upcoming membership drives momentum, which is quite savvy.

The fact it happened on the day when the Newcastle Board gave in-principle agreement to the Tinkler bid, thus strengthening that club enormously, is just an added bonus.

Beowulf

Juniors
Looks like half the comp needs to be culled then because who besides the broncs averages 30000?

That's what I said! But apparently its OK to have 15 existing teams average 10,000-15,000, but we're not allowed to add one that will average 15-20,000! Luckily, the NRL appear to think differrently.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Bears' base 5000 and growing strong

77d9e43a83a0277a3cc7641698461d47_resized.jpg

THE Central Coast Bears received a boost to their campaign to be re-admitted to the NRL in 2013 when the 5000th member signed recently.

Bears boss Greg Florimo said they had met their objective of reaching 5000 members before March 31, when they will present their bid document to the NRL.

“We have easily achieved this goal, which underlines the groundswell of support for an NRL team based on the Central Coast,” he said.

“I also urge every one of our 5000-plus members to encourage family members, work colleagues and friends to sign up.

“One more member each, and we could potentially crack 10,000 members, which sends a very strong message to the rugby league community that the Central Coast is serious about supporting a team in the game’s elite competition.”

The Bears have vigorously recruited through membership drives at shopping centres, school fetes and community events on the Central Coast and North Shore.

Wyong rugby league junior Daniel Langbridge is the Bears’ 5000th member.

“I was stoked when Flo (Greg Florimo) called,” he said.

“I couldn’t believe that I was the 5000th member.

“I can’t wait for a Central Coast team in the NRL so all local juniors, like me, have a team to aspire to play for.”

Bears head of football operations David Fairleigh said the Bears have 23 junior clubs and more than 7000 junior players.

“All of these plus our engagement within the Central Coast and North Shore communities and our sustainable business model add up to what we see as a compelling bid for the NRL.”

http://north-shore-times.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/bears-base-5000-and-growing-strong/

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Gould, Bennett could go with Bears to NRL
Ben Horne
18:11 AEST Thu Jan 20 2011

Central Coast Bears are considering taking two of the game's most influential figures with them when they make their final proposal to David Gallop for readmission to the NRL.

Super coaches Wayne Bennett and Phil Gould have supported the Bears' bid from the outset, for the way it expands the game to a rugby league heartland and brings back the tradition of a foundation club.

Bears chief executive Greg Florimo says the official presentation is still to be finalised, but having Bennett and Gould there in person would have its advantages.

"We've underlined the key stakeholders or certainly the key commentators in the game to ask for their support and I think they'll carry a lot of weight in their thinking and the (imminent) independent commission's thinking," said Florimo, who at this stage is aiming to lodge the proposal in late March.

"The actual presentation and how the bid looks when we go to the NRL is obviously still being engineered and we've engaged a company to do that.

"It's about working out exactly what strengths we have to portray and how best to deliver that.

"If that means we've got Phil Gould and Wayne Bennett in the room when we present, well that might be the case, but I'm not sure if that's the actual tact we'll follow at the moment."

The insight into the make-up of their final bid comes on the back of the Bears' board accepting a $10 million deal in principle with Mortgage House to underwrite the club's ownership.

Florimo revealed the club has now cracked the 5000 member mark, with 70 per cent of those members central coast locals.

Perth and central Queensland bids have also gained publicity of late, but Florimo said Graham Annesley has indicated the Central Coast model is the front-runner.

A decision on expansion is expected to be made by the NRL mid year.

"We've met with Graham Annesley a couple of times in the past few months and all along he's stated that the Bears is the most advanced," he said.

"And that's given we have a large membership base now, more than 5000 members and there's a number of other elements of our bid that perhaps aren't there in the other bids, i.e the stadium.

"He's made it clear to us that we're the most advanced of the bids."

At the NRL ceo's conference at the end of last year, the majority of club bosses indicated they were more supportive of expansion to Perth and central Queensland than they were to the Central Coast.

But Florimo said it was a misconception that the Bears would be a threat to Sydney clubs keen to guard their patch.

"I think there's enough value on the coast and on the north shore to sustain a team so it doesn't impact on other clubs, it's a massive franchise area," he said.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8199725

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts