What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge Cup 2007 *Quarterfinals*

Coastbloke

Bench
Hi all,

I know that the 2007 Challenge Cup will have all SL teams plus teams from NL1, 2 and 3. I know that there will be teams from France and Russia.

My question is, will there be teams from Wales, Ireland and Scotland?

If not, why not?

Also what is everyone's opinion on the chances for the Celtic Crusaders. They look like making a real run for NL1.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Well Wales will be represented by CC, I have no idea if the other two will have any teams involved.

I think the Catalans will give it a good shake this year, well I hope they do, the only way is up.

If it's the European CC, how long before we see a team or two from Serbia giving it a crack?

terracesider

Juniors
NL3 is no more, never to be spoken of again, but some of the sides that were in it will probably be the CC.

From the RFL

I think the 1st round draw is this Thursday, 4:00 GMT. By then the RFL should have decided which teams are going to be in the competition.

Celtic had a good first year but they will probably need to strengthen the squad to get out of NL2 and there are worries about the level of support they attracted: under 800 for a play-off game is not good.

bowes

Juniors
Wales have two teams. One is CC and the other I'm not sure but I'd guess Cardiff who were runners-up to Bridgend (the latter never play in the Challenge Cup). Scotland will be represented by Fife Lions. There's no Irish team as they often didn't turn up to games and none entered last year. They reduced the number of teams this year due to scrapping the preliminary round.

The RLC National has Bramley, Warrington Wizards, Dewsbury Celtic and I think Featherstone Lions in (Hemel, Huddersfield Underbank Rangers and Gateshead Storm all turned down a spot so the Lions got the 4th spot) but South London have been denied a place despite being RLC Premier Champions (and more deserving of a place than Fev Lions or the Welsh/Scottish teams, other than of course the Crusaders).

Also in the first round (besides the 4 RLC National teams, the Scottish and the amateur Welsh teams) are the 39 National Conference League teams, the three forces teams (Army, Navy and RAF), the student champions and the champions of the 5 BARLA regional leagues.

One of the Russian teams enters at round 2 with the other entering at round 3. The three French league teams and the twenty two NL1/NL2 teams also enter at round 3 with the SL clubs entering at round 4.

bowes

Juniors
it seems South London are in not Fev Lions as the 4th English RLC team. Seems a good thing as they're a better team plus Fev Lions would struggle to raise a team off-season

bowes

Juniors
No Welsh league team has entered again so Blackbrook have been included in replacement

1. Askam
2. Blackbrook
3. Bradford Dudley Hill
4. Bramley Buffaloes
5. Brighouse Rangers
6. Castleford Lock Lane
7. Castleford Panthers
8. Crosfields
9. Dewsbury Celtic
10 Drighlington
11. East Hull
12. East Leeds
13. Eastmoor Dragons
14. Eccles & Salford
15. Egremont Rangers
16. Fife Lions
17. Halton Simms Cross
18. Heworth
19. Hull Dockers
20. Hull Isberg
21. Ince Rose Bridge
22. Leeds Metropolitan University
23. Leigh East
24. Leigh Miners Welfare
25. Milford Marlins
26. Millom
27. Normanton Knights
28. Old Victoria
29. Oldham St Annes
30. Oulton Raiders
31. Ovenden
32. Queens
33. Rochdale Mayfield
34. Royal Air Force
35. Royal Navy
36.Saddleworth Rangers
37. Seaton
38. Shaw Cross Sharks
39. Siddal
40. Skirlaugh
41. South London Storm
42. Stanningley
43. Thatto Heath Crusaders
44. The Army
45. Thornhill Trojans
46. Warrington Wizards
47. Waterhead
48. Wath Brow Hornets
49. West Bowling
50. West Hull
51. Widnes St Maries
52. Wigan St Judes
53. Wigan St Patricks
54. York Acorn

bartman

Immortal
Is that midnight? Crazy... It's meant to be played in a fortnight.

So for Round one it'll be the above 54 teams playing each other in some way, 27 winners going through to Round Two and a Russian club side is added.

yakstorm

First Grade
And the new sponsor has been announced.... where does this Uni get all its money?

Source: RLIF (http://www.rlif.org/article.php?id=1157 )
Challenge Cup secure new sponsor
Saturday, 20th January 2007

One of Rugby League’s oldest and most prestigious tournaments, the Challenge Cup has secured Leeds Metropolitan University as its new major sponsor in a six year multi-million pound deal.

Leeds Met emerged as the best fit sponsor for the tournament, after a series of other British and European companies were knocked back by the RFL. As a result of the deal, the tournament will now be titled the Carnegie Challenge Cup.

The Challenge Cup, which was first formed in 1897, has become the premier Rugby League competition in Europe, featuring teams from England, France, Wales, Scotland and Russia. The new deal secures the international component of the tournament, as well as sees Leeds Met take over as sponsor for the Champion Schools tournament and Further Education and Sixth Form competitions.

Commenting on the exciting news, the RFL’s Executive Chairman Richard Lewis said: “We welcome Leeds Met Carnegie as the new primary partner of the sport’s most prestigious domestic knock-out tournament.

“The Carnegie Challenge Cup is once again set to be a thrilling tournament which involves teams from all levels of Rugby League and is a major element of the British sporting calendar.

“The agreement with Leeds Met Carnegie is an excellent commercial success for the tournament and the whole sport and we look forward to a long and fruitful relationship with Carnegie.”

Richard Lewis continued: “The partnership between Leeds Met Carnegie and ourselves is both ground-breaking and unique in sport. The RFL believes it is highly appropriate as there is a great deal of synergy between our organizational values and the values of the sport of Rugby League.

“With this proactive approach, Carnegie is leading the field in the development of national and international awareness of their brand and we are confident our partnership can bring many mutual benefits at many levels.

“The RFL also believes that the other elements of the partnership involving both sports performance and academic study are tremendously significant and show the progressive nature of the sport and the University.”

Leeds Met Vice-Chancellor Professor Simon Lee said, “The competition reflects the style of our Great North Uni, engaging families and communities from the UK and the wider world, and reflecting the ‘carnival’ atmosphere of the Wembley tradition which began around the time that our Carnegie College was founded.

“The 12 million TV viewers for the matches, let alone the later draws conducted live on BBC television and radio and the 90,000 at the new Wembley for the final, will learn more about Leeds Met Carnegie, including our commitment to students rubbing shoulders with champions and that we share the values of the RFL in our commitment to a family sport that is deep-rooted in communities but always pioneering.”

Significantly, the title sponsorship of the Carnegie Challenge Cup is among a number of exciting elements included in a major new partnership between Leeds Met and the RFL.

The University’s Carnegie Faculty of Sport & Education at Headingley Campus is to be the base for the Great Britain Rugby League squad’s technical staff and management as well as the new full time engage Super League match officials.

bartman

Immortal
I wish I knew, their logo seems to be on everything up this way!
carnegiechallengecup_180x2.jpeg

bartman

Immortal
Here's the First Round Draw, games to be played 3-4 February.

Rochdale Mayfield v Millom
Saddleworth v Halton Simms Cross
Thornhill v South London
Stanningley v Leigh East
Eccles and Salford v Blackbrook
Royal Navy v Waterhead
Siddal v York Acorn
Bradford Dudley Hill v Brighouse
Army v Leigh Miners
Eastmoor v Shaw Cross
East Leeds v Warrington Wizards
Wath Brow v Oulton
Seaton v Queens
Heworth v Hull Isberg
Drighlington v Askam
Skirlaugh v Milford
Hull Dockers v Thatto Heath
Dewsbury Celtic v Ovenden
Crosfields v West Bowling
Egremont v Oldham St Annes
Normanton v Fife Lions
Wigan St Patricks v Leeds Metropolitan University
Ince Rose Bridge v Widnes St Maries
Hull Victoria v Castleford Lock Lane
RAF v East Hull
Bramley v Wigan St Judes
West Hull v Castleford Panthers

* I've bolded the National Conference League Premier (winter) clubs, and Rugby League Confernece National (summer) clubs, to indicate those who sit in the top flite of their repsective set-ups. Always hard to tell how the Army, Navy, Air Force, and the University team will shape up in comparison as well.

The 27 winners to join a Russian club (Strella Kazan?) in Round 2 for 17 February.

Those who are keen/brave enough can watch the excitement of the draw through Windows Media Player here: http://www.superleague.co.uk/pub/video/2006/ccupfirstrounddraw.wvx
(Like Bingo but without the prizes.)

terracesider

Juniors
bartman said:
Is that midnight? Crazy... It's meant to be played in a fortnight.

So for Round one it'll be the above 54 teams playing each other in some way, 27 winners going through to Round Two and a Russian club side is added.

Don't know what happenedf there. Anyway, I meant 14:00. sorry.

bowes

Juniors
I'd have thought it's Kazan Arrows entering round 2 and Lokomotiv Moscow at round 3 but not seen proof. The three French teams in round 3 are the top 3 from last season so Pia, Toulouse and I think it's Limoux (?) as the last one

terracesider

Juniors
yakstorm said:
And the new sponsor has been announced.... where does this Uni get all its money?

Source: RLIF (http://www.rlif.org/article.php?id=1157 )

That's a very good question which I am sure under-financed departments in universities throughout the UK will be asking, not least within Leeds Polytechnic itself. I mean Leeds Metropolitin "University".

The answer is of couse: the taxpayer.

bartman

Immortal
bowes said:
I'd have thought it's Kazan Arrows entering round 2 and Lokomotiv Moscow at round 3 but not seen proof. The three French teams in round 3 are the top 3 from last season so Pia, Toulouse and I think it's Limoux (?) as the last one
Fair enough, guess we'll find out in two weeks through the draw.

bartman

Immortal
terracesider said:
Don't know what happenedf there. Anyway, I meant 14:00. sorry.
No problem, I was around anyway... but I wouldn't have put midnight beyond the realms of possibility :crazy:.

deluded pom?

Coach
Wouldn't it make more sense experience wise and financially for the Russian,Irish and Scottish teams to be rep sides rather than club sides? With a rep side they'd have more chance of progressing and getting vital experience rather than travelling hundreds of miles, in the Russian case, for what could well be an expensive flogging by a top English amateur team. Just a thought.

bowes

Juniors
Rep sides is a very bad route to go down in my opinion, would rather not have them in in that case. Defeats the whole point of the cup, although they did used to include a RLC rep side they thankfully replaced them with the champions. The Russian clubs would usually beat amateur clubs (bearing in mind the difference in standards between top and bottom in Russia) but in the third round automatically draw a semi-pro club and lose so it would be stupid to have rep sides but include weaker clubs. Ireland don't enter a team but since Fife (the best Scottish team) choose to enter when they win the Scottish league it makes sense to have them in even if they lose.