What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Champions League Final - Manchester Utd FC v Barcelona FC

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Iniesta is close to the best player in the world. He was outstanding.

Messi absolutely sh*ts on Ronaldo.

That was magic. The world is a better place this morning.

weasel

First Grade
im just hoping like hell SAF lets the guys just go....

He certainly let them go, let them go down the drain, along with their modern dynasty.

Let's revisit some of the revisionist history that came after last year's final. As tends to happen with time, reality can easily be forgotten as the story is re-written in favour of the victors. The truth being that Manchester United were very lucky to find themselves in the final last season, after edging a tight encounter with a Barcelona side after a flukey long-range strike from Scholes. Barca had dominated long stretches of the two legs, and but for that one piece of speculative magic the story of the semi final would have been Ronaldo's penalty miss in the first leg, his only real decent contribution in the tie.

Meeting Chelsea in the final, EPL hype reached a crescendo, and another great moment of luck, John Terry's slip, after Ronaldo had again choked by failing on a penalty attempt, handed Man Utd the trophy. They were back-to-back champions of England, and the fact of an all-english final seemed to re-inforce the myth of that league's unmatchable might. People started to believe that this was one of the great football sides.

Leap back one year, the same Manchester United side met AC Milan in the semi-final stages, and after a plucky come from behind 3-2 victory at home, they were completely and utterly humiliated in Italy, by a side that was never in the title race domestically. Irregardless, Milan were largely untroubled beating an english opponent in the final.

Which brings us to today, the Red Devils, had been so caught up in their hype to really believe they could win a quintuple of trophies this season, but having failed in one of those their supporters and the greater population of EPL fanboys had shifted priorities to believe that this team could still take back to back European Cups. In their way a team they thought was unfairly syphoning attention away from the world's greatest league, and its greatest team. Surely they would set the record straight.

Barcelona went in to the game under-strength in defence, which meant the scene was set for Ronaldo to wreck havoc, while he could rely on his own superstar defenders to minimise the threat of Messi. The first ten, fifteen, twenty minutes seemed to offer up this possibility, but then the script started going awry. Barcelona's midfield clicked in to gear and slowly, but surely Manchester United begun to crumble. By the end of the match, the Prince had become the Pauper, as the new king rose to take his crown. Messi shone, while Ronaldo waned, reduced to rushed shots and cynical challenges.

And so, as some of us wake to a brand new day, while others take to their pillows, we can rejoice in the lifting of that insidious veil from our eyes. Cheer, cry, or simply admire, we have witnessed a truly great team explode the myth of another not so special.

And after that, after this year of miraculous Messi magic, let the debate rest, at least for one more season. The young argentinian is truly the world's best, and if you still believe that Ronaldo deserves that credit, then you're a dickhead. No arguing, you're just a dickhead.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Iniesta is close to the best player in the world. He was outstanding.

Messi absolutely sh*ts on Ronaldo.

That was magic. The world is a better place this morning.
LOL It's amazing how that varies from match to match. In the semis Messi was unseen for 180 minutes whereas Ronaldo was amazing.

Its kind of a silly comparison really in the sense that if it was Ronaldo who played for Barca he would look incredible on any given day as well. The football Barca play could not utilise the talents of Messi more effectively. Which is a credit to them.

For the record id take Messi over Ronaldo. But theres a struck match between them.

weasel

First Grade
And congratulations to Thierry Henry. He couldn't quite score a goal despite two glorious chances, but he's finally added the last elusive honour to his illustrious career.

shiznit

Coach
He certainly let them go, let them go down the drain, along with their modern dynasty.

Let's revisit some of the revisionist history that came after last year's final. As tends to happen with time, reality can easily be forgotten as the story is re-written in favour of the victors. The truth being that Manchester United were very lucky to find themselves in the final last season, after edging a tight encounter with a Barcelona side after a flukey long-range strike from Scholes. Barca had dominated long stretches of the two legs, and but for that one piece of speculative magic the story of the semi final would have been Ronaldo's penalty miss in the first leg, his only real decent contribution in the tie.

Meeting Chelsea in the final, EPL hype reached a crescendo, and another great moment of luck, John Terry's slip, after Ronaldo had again choked by failing on a penalty attempt, handed Man Utd the trophy. They were back-to-back champions of England, and the fact of an all-english final seemed to re-inforce the myth of that league's unmatchable might. People started to believe that this was one of the great football sides.

Leap back one year, the same Manchester United side met AC Milan in the semi-final stages, and after a plucky come from behind 3-2 victory at home, they were completely and utterly humiliated in Italy, by a side that was never in the title race domestically. Irregardless, Milan were largely untroubled beating an english opponent in the final.

Which brings us to today, the Red Devils, had been so caught up in their hype to really believe they could win a quintuple of trophies this season, but having failed in one of those their supporters and the greater population of EPL fanboys had shifted priorities to believe that this team could still take back to back European Cups. In their way a team they thought was unfairly syphoning attention away from the world's greatest league, and its greatest team. Surely they would set the record straight.

Barcelona went in to the game under-strength in defence, which meant the scene was set for Ronaldo to wreck havoc, while he could rely on his own superstar defenders to minimise the threat of Messi. The first ten, fifteen, twenty minutes seemed to offer up this possibility, but then the script started going awry. Barcelona's midfield clicked in to gear and slowly, but surely Manchester United begun to crumble. By the end of the match, the Prince had become the Pauper, as the new king rose to take his crown. Messi shone, while Ronaldo waned, reduced to rushed shots and cynical challenges.

And so, as some of us wake to a brand new day, while others take to their pillows, we can rejoice in the lifting of that insidious veil from our eyes. Cheer, cry, or simply admire, we have witnessed a truly great team explode the myth of another not so special.

And after that, after this year of miraculous Messi magic, let the debate rest, at least for one more season. The young argentinian is truly the world's best, and if you still believe that Ronaldo deserves that credit, then you're a dickhead. No arguing, you're just a dickhead.
blah... blah... blah...

why are you going over last year?? we won it last year... we deservedly won it... get over it..

Barca won it this year... and once again... deservedly so...

im still happy with Man Utd this season... we won our 3rd straight EPL title... and with the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea & Arsenal in the league thats something special.

and weve come one game short of defending our european crown...

Barca where in a completely different class. Simply a beautiful football team to watch.

Ferguson got his staring line up all wrong.

But forget about United, today is all about the Catalans. Wonderful, wonderful team.

Tommy Smith

Referee

I was going to give you credit for a well written post until i saw you use the 'word' irregardless. I think you mean 'irrespective', or for the purpose of that sentence, just 'regardless' would have been fine:p

Barca were the better team. They are, as i said, the greatest club side ive seen. But it was only one match ago where they were outplayed by Chelsea and somewhat lucky to progress.

So try not to cum too hard in your pants. Anyone who knows anything about football knows that there is very little between the top 3 leagues - England, Italy and Spain. And its very rare that one League will dominate in terms of titles over an extended period. Italy did in the 90s. The Serie A was clearly the best league in the world at that time. But atm any of the top 3 sides from those leagues are almost equally capable of winning the Champs League.

A big congratulations to Man Utd for making it to 2 consecutive finals. Ive seen how hard defending the trophy was for Barca in 07, so for Man U to make 2 straight finals is great work, well done Man U and well done to the Man U fans, who have all so far been very humble in defeat.

ok now.....

can i please just go all out and yell a big f**k YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant believe how well we played. I'm so proud of the boys, Pique, Puyol and Sylvinho were all f**king epic as hell. Then there was the way that we controled the game, the biggest club game of the season, and we played the way we like to play. We didn't worry about who we were playing, we did our thing, like usual, and now we are European Champs! This can only be a good thing for the game of football, perhaps now, we will see more teams abandon such negative tactics and develop crisp passing and flowing attack.

One thing that really bothered me was Puyols clear dive though. I have no time for diving, even if its a Barca player. I know it was just tactics to get under Ronaldos skin (and it worked) but for the captain of the club to do that in the European Final, just didn't sit right with me.

But really, im happy enough to forget about it and focus on the f**king fact that my team are European Champions!!!!!!

Game_Breaker

Coach
And congratulations to Thierry Henry. He couldn't quite score a goal despite two glorious chances, but he's finally added the last elusive honour to his illustrious career.

Yes

What an awesome career, pretty much won all that he could

Bulldog Force

Referee
A big congratulations to Man Utd for making it to 2 consecutive finals. Ive seen how hard defending the trophy was for Barca in 07, so for Man U to make 2 straight finals is great work, well done Man U and well done to the Man U fans, who have all so far been very humble in defeat.

ok now.....

can i please just go all out and yell a big f**k YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant believe how well we played. I'm so proud of the boys, Pique, Puyol and Sylvinho were all f**king epic as hell. Then there was the way that we controled the game, the biggest club game of the season, and we played the way we like to play. We didn't worry about who we were playing, we did our thing, like usual, and now we are European Champs! This can only be a good thing for the game of football, perhaps now, we will see more teams abandon such negative tactics and develop crisp passing and flowing attack.

One thing that really bothered me was Puyols clear dive though. I have no time for diving, even if its a Barca player. I know it was just tactics to get under Ronaldos skin (and it worked) but for the captain of the club to do that in the European Final, just didn't sit right with me.

But really, im happy enough to forget about it and focus on the f**king fact that my team are European Champions!!!!!!
Deadset. Felt like ages. So glad we got the crown back. So happy. My Avatar needs to go back to Barca at least for the next week :D

(i dont know if i spelt this all correctly, but this is how i sing it lol):

Tot el camp!
es un clam!
som la gant blaugrana
tant si val don venim
si del sud or del nord
ara estem dacord, estem dacord
una bandera es agermana
blaugrana vent
un crit valent
tenim un nom
el sap tothom
BARCA! BARCA! BARCA!!!!!!!!

Can I say how nice it is that this thread has been typified by mutual respect instead of the usual whinging and biatching that you tend to get from fans of other English teams?

Shows that both sets of fans are comfortable in the knowledge that we support truly great clubs.

I'm disappointed, but congrats Barca. Well deserved. Enjoy being one of the few side to win a true treble.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Can I say how nice it is that this thread has been typified by mutual respect instead of the usual whinging and biatching that you tend to get from fans of other English teams?

Shows that both sets of fans are comfortable in the knowledge that we support truly great clubs.

I'm disappointed, but congrats Barca. Well deserved. Enjoy being one of the few side to win a true treble.
Thanks dude. This has been a good year for Barca... taking the La Liga Title as well as the CL - truly making up for the shocking 07/08 season we had last year :)

hybrid_tiger

Coach
LOL It's amazing how that varies from match to match. In the semis Messi was unseen for 180 minutes whereas Ronaldo was amazing.

Its kind of a silly comparison really in the sense that if it was Ronaldo who played for Barca he would look incredible on any given day as well. The football Barca play could not utilise the talents of Messi more effectively. Which is a credit to them.

For the record id take Messi over Ronaldo. But theres a struck match between them.

For mine, Ronaldo will never ever get the respect that his talent deserves, because he is an absolute petulant merkin.

Messi on the other hand is a class act.

Ridders

Coach
Great stuff from Barca. The first ten minutes had me worried, but after Eto's goal, it was simply a Barca clinic. While Xavi got MOM, i thought Iniesta deserved it equally, he was immense in midfield.

skeepe

Immortal
There was only one thing I didn't like about this match, and that was having to listen to Craig Foster. Apparently no other team in the world can pass the ball.

Don't get me wrong I wanted Barca to win and I'm glad they did, but the wanking in the commentary box was overwhelming.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
For mine, Ronaldo will never ever get the respect that his talent deserves, because he is an absolute petulant merkin.

I agree

both class players but totally different personalities

congrats Barca, well deserved

Bulldog Force

Referee

Yep. A sign of things to come for Ronaldo if he actually decides to come to Spanish Football.