What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Champions League Final - Manchester Utd FC v Barcelona FC

Ridders

Coach
There was only one thing I didn't like about this match, and that was having to listen to Craig Foster. Apparently no other team in the world can pass the ball.

Don't get me wrong I wanted Barca to win and I'm glad they did, but the wanking in the commentary box was overwhelming.

Be nice, this must have been a great day for him. I stayed for SBS's post game analysis just to hear him.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
There was only one thing I didn't like about this match, and that was having to listen to Craig Foster. Apparently no other team in the world can pass the ball.

Don't get me wrong I wanted Barca to win and I'm glad they did, but the wanking in the commentary box was overwhelming.

I agree with you, however no team passes the ball as good as Barca can.

hellteam

First Grade
Well Messi didn't have to have Ji Sung Sh*t on his team last night.

Messi's just a big a diver as Ronaldo. Whoever's losing just gets highlighted more.

hellteam

First Grade
What about the glory hunting "fans" that go for Barcelona? They get more 'glory' then Man United fans. No difference really.

I'm not saying that's what Barca fans are on here, but you can't honestly say theres a difference in 'glory hunting' between going for Barca or Man United

fish eel

Immortal
That was pretty poor keeping from Van Der Sar on that first goal. Ben Foster is better than him

Bulldog Force

Referee
What about the glory hunting "fans" that go for Barcelona? They get more 'glory' then Man United fans. No difference really.

I'm not saying that's what Barca fans are on here, but you can't honestly say theres a difference in 'glory hunting' between going for Barca or Man United
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I tend to think the glory hunters for the Spanish league tend to follow Real Madrid. Sadly, they are a shrinking violet and unless they have a massive turnaround, Barcelona will be be home to alot of bangwagoners :x

DB

First Grade
Disappointing match to watch this morning from my point of view. Barcelona just moved the ball around so well, it was hard for us to break them down. Park is sh*t..... should of replaced him at half time instead of Anderson. I also don't feel confident with O'Shea at fullback, I think that is an area we may need to look in the summer transfers.

Barcelona's defense was amazing tonight. I knew we shouldn't have sold Pique, and he showed that tonight.

Congrates Barcelona, you deserved it more this morning.

Ridders

Coach
To be fair to Ronaldo, he was one of the few United players that showed any real threat of scoring. I don't think this game did anything to take away from Ronaldo, more it added to Messi's resume. I admit i had critisized Messi for his performances against Chelsea, happy to be proved wrong :)

i dont know about your ties to Man United, but I know i have been supporting Barca since 1993, when i first got into Football.

I sat down and watched an episode of world soccer, and they were doing their european wrap show they used to show back in the day, which was highlights of some of the bigger club matches in european domestic leagues that week.

So i was watching it all, while trying to find a team to go for, and nothing really struck me, until Barcelona came on, and of course, they had just hosted the Olympic Games the year before. So i knew of Barcelona, so really the choice was easy as that.

Im so glad Leeds didnt host the Olympics in 92 :p

So, I can honestly say i'm not a glory hunter.

I also have no disrespect to people that want to follow Real Madrid as their main team. I'm alright with anyone who is into football enough to support a team thats not in the EPL, and therefore means nothing to most of Australia.

hellteam

First Grade
I know I'm not saying you are a glory hunter. Just that people call Man United fans glory hunters and Barcelona arguably get more "glory". But anyway...

For the record I hate Man United and was supporting Barcelona last night.

As someone said, Ronaldo didnt take any hit to his reputation last night he played well I thought.. just didnt get the same opportunities the Barca players did

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Park is sh*t..... should of replaced him at half time instead of Anderson.

Park didn't play well, but neither did the whole midfield and he has had a good season. Not the most skilled player, but SAF has used him very well this year.

Anderson on the other hand -- never rated this guy. I know he's still only young, but everytime I watch him he looks out of his depth. He can pass a ball, but is easily dispossessed under pressure, his defensive positioning in the transition from attack to defence is dreadful, he makes alot of errors and he offers no threat to goal whatsoever. In fact, has he even scored for Man Utd?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Park didn't play well, but neither did the whole midfield and he has had a good season. Not the most skilled player, but SAF has used him very well this year.

Anderson on the other hand -- never rated this guy. I know he's still only young, but everytime I watch him he looks out of his depth. He can pass a ball, but is easily dispossessed under pressure, his defensive positioning in the transition from attack to defence is dreadful, he makes alot of errors and he offers no threat to goal whatsoever. In fact, has he even scored for Man Utd?
No, he's never scored a goal for Utd yet.

But there's no doubt that Xavi & Iniesta's >>>> of Utds mid was where the game was largely won and lost.

Those two true superstars of world football totally outclassed the likes of Carrick, Anderson and the sadly long in the tooth Giggs (on the night anyway, i queston his ability these days to match the very best in central mid at 36).

Knightmare

Coach
ManUre looked dangerously close to scoring for the first 10 minutes- then for the next 72 minutes it was all Barca. They played the most attractive football I have seen in a long time, even camped down towards their own goal mouth when they could have turned to negative, tight, defensive football they managed to get on the attack and the ball would soon find its' way back their end of the field. They never looked the least bit intimidated by ManUre. I don't think I am exaggerating in the slightest when I say it could easily have been 4-0 by the end.

As a side note, it's nice and somewhat refreshing to see that in this ultra-professional age of marquee players on contracts worth millions, that the greatest side in Europe (and arguably the world) have 6 players in their starting line-up who are not just Spaniards, but Catalonians. Speaks volumes for the club and the sense of local identity embedded in it, it must make it that little bit more special for Barcelona and its' fans to know that so many of the players who took them to glory, are players who grew up in their country and their local area. I never could work out the full reason why I hate Real Madrid until I thought of that point.

I know London has a different demographic to the Catalan region, but you'd think there's a moral in there somewhere for the likes of Chel$ki (and to a lesser extent, the Gooners)?

Last edited:

Syko

Juniors
Well Messi didn't have to have Ji Sung Sh*t on his team last night.

Messi's just a big a diver as Ronaldo. Whoever's losing just gets highlighted more.

zzzzz there is no bigger diver in the game, one who comes close is drogba.

Ronaldo is a little brat and needs to catch a massive beating.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Funnily enough i think Utd are the least suited of the big 3 EPL sides to tackle Barca. The likes of Giggs at 36, Anderson and Carrick are so inferior to what Barca had. In contrast Chelsea with Essien, Lamps, Ballack and Mikel and certainly Liverpool with their ultra powerful midfield would have been more dangeous.
Against Barca you need an enforcer in the midfield, and neither of Man Utd's were available. Fletcher was suspended, Hargreaves has been injured all season. If either of them had played (or better yet both) the Utd midfield would have competed much better. Whether it would have been enough, who knows?

But congrats to Barca. Obviously the better team on the day, although I don't think they were as good as most people are making out.