What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chan Called Into Test Squad

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Chan called into Kiwi Test squad

15 October 2004

Melbourne Storm prop Alex Chan has been called into the New Zealand Test squad as a replacement for Penrith forward Tony Puletua, who will leave the team after Saturday's rugby league Tri Nations clash with Australia to undergo ankle surgery.

Puletua will take his place in Saturday's opening Tri Nations Test in Auckland before undergoing surgery next week, leaving Chan to join the squad in preparation for the English leg of the series.

"I'm elated, I've only ever dreamt about playing for my country so for it to become a reality is an honour and a privilege," the 29-year-old Chan said before heading off to New Zealand to join his Kiwi teammates.

"I've measured myself against Aussies all my career so to finally have the chance to represent New Zealand and to come up against them and the English is really great."

The New Zealand Rugby League placed Chan on standby on Wednesday as they tried to reach an agreement with Penrith as to the back-rower's availability for the Tri Nations series.

"I first got a call on Wednesday and was told that I was on standby for Tony, the second call came at 7am on Friday morning notifying me that I was needed in the squad," Chan said.

"I didn't feel at my best after the end-of-season trip with the boys but I'm really excited about joining the team and looking forward to the English leg of the series."

Brought to you by AAP

Source: http://nrl.com.au/news.cfm?ID=10034

NPK

Bench
Wet Cat and Cheese said:
Dene Halatau must be feeling pretty scrwed over :evil:

Who would he? He's a back isn't he? They needed a replacement forward.

innsaneink

Referee
NPK said:
Wet Cat and Cheese said:
Dene Halatau must be feeling pretty scrwed over :evil:

Who would he? He's a back isn't he? They needed a replacement forward.
He mainly plays backrow tho a couple of tiomes hes played center.
There were four other players named as extras on top of the 17, Halatau being one.

NZ team to play Australia:: Brent Webb (Warriors), Francis Meli (Warriors), Nigel Vagana (Cronulla), Paul Whatuira (Penrith), Matt Utai (Bulldogs), Vinnie Anderson (Warriors), Thomas Leuluai (Warriors), Jason Cayless (Sydney Roosters), Louis Anderson (Warriors), Ruben Wiki (capt, Canberra), Tony Puletua (Penrith), Joe Galuvao (Penrith), Sonny Bill Williams (Bulldogs), Motu Tony (Castleford), Roy Asotasi (Bulldogs), Nathan Cayless (Parramatta), David Kidwell (Melbourne).

Also named in extended squad: Paul Rauhihi (North Queensland), Jamal Lolesi (Bulldogs), Clinton Toopi (Warriors), Dean Halatau (West Tigers), Wairangi Koopu (Warriors).

Why the extended squad if theyre gunna bring in an entirely new player????

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Chan was always in the extended squad. I think they mean he'll push his way into the 17 with puletua out.

innsaneink

Referee
JamesWebster's#1fan said:
Chan was always in the extended squad. I think they mean he'll push his way into the 17 with puletua out.

Cant see how he was always there.

Also named in extended squad: Paul Rauhihi (North Queensland), Jamal Lolesi (Bulldogs), Clinton Toopi (Warriors), Dean Halatau (West Tigers), Wairangi Koopu (Warriors).

Whats the point of having an extended squad, if something like the Puletua case occurs and the extended squad gets overlooked.
Koopu and Halatau have every right to be disappointed.

bartman

Immortal
The extended sqaud of 22 was for the first test only - it was not the touring squad.

Chan had been in the train-on squad all along, a sqaud which includes UK based players, and from which the full touring sqaud will be taken. I would assume that Chan plus the five guys in extended squad will all tour, joined by Robbie Paul, Ali Lauitiiti, and Vainikolo to make a squad of 25 for the matches in UK?

Iafeta

Referee
Ali will be available after the Super League grand final, along with Joe Vagana, Robbie Paul, Shontayne Hape, Lesley Vainakolo etc.

Congratulations to Alex Chan. Been quite impressive this year with Melbourne.

skeepe

Immortal
KimmorleyKiller said:
BTW: wat about lauititi?? hes a gun in superleague at the moment

There's this little thing called the Super League Grand Final that he has to deal with first.

I still cannot fathom how Paul Rauhihi did not make the team, considering he's not injured, and is named in the "extended squad". A deadset joke.

ozboy

Juniors
I Bleed Green said:
I still cannot fathom how Paul Rauhihi did not make the team, considering he's not injured, and is named in the "extended squad". A deadset joke.

Ruled out of the first test with injury, and second has a doubt over his head but should be able to play the remaining games. Same goes for Clinton Toopi.

Iafeta

Referee
I Bleed Green said:

I still cannot fathom the incorrectness of your comment. Paul Rauhihi is out of this test due to his calf strain.

bartman

Immortal
I'd guess Lauitiiti for Puletua, Wiki for Galuvao, and a prop to come into starting side (Rauhihi, Chan, Joe Vagana?).