What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes at the Dragons.

monsterkev

Juniors
I heard on the grapevine today that the win/bruce gordon deal is not going to happen
This is what the saints side of the board wanted they would rather relocate
It is all falling into place

SaintPauli

Juniors
I heard on the grapevine today that the win/bruce gordon deal is not going to happen
This is what the saints side of the board wanted they would rather relocate
It is all falling into place
Oh the grapevine! That sounds like a reliable source! If the Nrl loose the illawarra it will be swamped by AFL. NRL won't let that happen

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Haven't we heard all this before, back in 1998 they dangled a 10 million dollar carrot in front of us. Now look where we have ended up? All the Sydney clubs that decided to go it alone are in a much better position financially, even poor cousins like sharks and Souths.
We either demerge and approach the NRL for a license, or the Dragons side of the merger buys the Illawarra side and asks the nrl for a discount on the loan. That's the only way out, I doubt that old codger Win will stump up the money

The Dragons DID NOT merge!

j0nesy

Bench
St George cannot fund a club alone. Who is going to "buy out" the Illawarra share in the JV and pay off the debt to the NRL? The Taj can't afford to do it and then fund the club. I can't see the NRL relocating the club to Perth and conceding the Illawarra/ South Coast to AFL.

It's simple really the club needs a new board and needs to revamp its business model. Starting with the tired Red V membership, where all you get is seats for your contribution to the club. They need to create a gold category of membership where you get additional perks, including voting rights. And that's just the start. The leagues clubs should be kindly requested to pay more or revert in status to sponsors, with little or no representation on the board (depending on contribution). The club then needs to invest in perhaps property and related infrastructure. We need to negotiate with Wollongong or Kogarah council (or state government) to grant us greater control of, or cheaper access to either Kogarah or WIN and just play atthat ground. Put the two councils in competition with one another see what they offer.

Also, The club then needs to tighten its belt until we can balance the books. How we ended up so far in debt is beyond me.

j0nesy

Bench
I'm not saying the club will fold. I'm saying it could be run better. In fact quite the contrary, I think the NRL will keep us afloat just to keep AFL from dominating the Illawarra/ south coast. But who wants to just remain afloat by the grace of the NRL? we need to stand proudly and firmly on our own two feet.

Its not the AFL they need to worry about its an A league team that will come from the South Coast Region.

They are looking to expand and again with a very strong junior base along the South Coast they surely have to be considered.

The pre-season games played at Win have attracted good solid crowds and with people completely loosing interest in the Dragons they will turn their attentions to other sports.

Years ago in the old NSL comp Wollongong proved what they could do back to back champions.

Now i am not saying league is stuffed the Illawarra Coal league still attracts decent players and they still have good sign ups at junior level.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I don't see any change at all!! Same as .....with a dud head coach and nepotism alive and well in any appointments in the old boys brigade. The only changes with our club is the excuses and yet the stench of bullshit and spin remain unchanged.

If Head takes over at the Cutters and they again have a good year he will get moved on just like JD.

JD didn't want to go but after Mary threw him under the bus several times it was clear he wasn't going to stick around.

Winning two trophies was a big f**k you to Mary and he got shown up big time and he being such an arrogant merkin he had to get rid of someone better then him.

For the board to actually keep him employed is an utter farce and they to appoint a token review commitee of whatever bullshit name they give it is an even bigger slap in the face.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
If Head takes over at the Cutters and they again have a good year he will get moved on just like JD.

JD didn't want to go but after Mary threw him under the bus several times it was clear he wasn't going to stick around.

Winning two trophies was a big f**k you to Mary and he got shown up big time and he being such an arrogant merkin he had to get rid of someone better then him.

For the board to actually keep him employed is an utter farce and they to appoint a token review commitee of whatever bullshit name they give it is an even bigger slap in the face.

Moving to Perth...deals done with the NRL....WINCORP pulled the pin...there's some doozies in here.
Coast, do you not think that an aspiring JD was told he will not be given the 1st grade gig in 2018 and therefore went looking for opportunities elsewhere? I do.
His manager called his bluff with us, wanting us to appoint another rookie coach for the NRL squad for 2018 and possibly part of 2017.
JD had a contract with us in place. He could've stayed and seen what develops but for his job security and development, opted for a 3 year deal under the best in the business.
Good luck to him. I'm not getting caught up in all of this as those that are screaming blue murder obviously wanted another rookie coach in charge when McGregor is finally cut loose.
We need an overhaul and someone that will come in and turn the football operations upside down. A strong willed, experienced operator - not another rookie that won't stand up to our factional board.
JD's decision may well be supporting of this theory and my gut feeling says we will have a new coach in less than a year.

BennyV

Referee
I'm not saying the club will fold. I'm saying it could be run better. In fact quite the contrary, I think the NRL will keep us afloat just to keep AFL from dominating the Illawarra/ south coast. But who wants to just remain afloat by the grace of the NRL? we need to stand proudly and firmly on our own two feet.
9f1640f687776d77b19ee299b763695f

BennyV

Referee
Moving to Perth...deals done with the NRL....WINCORP pulled the pin...there's some doozies in here.
Coast, do you not think that an aspiring JD was told he will not be given the 1st grade gig in 2018 and therefore went looking for opportunities elsewhere? I do.
His manager called his bluff with us, wanting us to appoint another rookie coach for the NRL squad for 2018 and possibly part of 2017.
JD had a contract with us in place. He could've stayed and seen what develops but for his job security and development, opted for a 3 year deal under the best in the business.
Good luck to him. I'm not getting caught up in all of this as those that are screaming blue murder obviously wanted another rookie coach in charge when McGregor is finally cut loose.
We need an overhaul and someone that will come in and turn the football operations upside down. A strong willed, experienced operator - not another rookie that won't stand up to our factional board.
JD's decision may well be supporting of this theory and my gut feeling says we will have a new coach in less than a year.
For me, the concern is interim and our form in appointing coaches.

Let's say McMoron is sacked halfway through mid-2017 (not unlikely). We need an interim coach; JD would have been head and shoulders above all other contenders for that option, even if it was just to see out 2017. Best case is that he hangs around, takes the reigns for half and year and THEN we bring in our 2018 coach with his staff (whether or not that includes JD).

Now, let's say that whoever the interim coach is, they have a 'honeymoon period' of a few wins, much like McDrinker did when he took over from Price. Our board, and presumably a portion of the wider fan base, will see this and push hard for that interim coach to be handed an extended contract (again, based on form this is highly likely). This is, of course, a silly decision for them to make, but if it did happen then Demetriou is by far the most qualified person to take this on and not completely fail.

Now everyone is hoping for a new Knight-in-shining-armour to take the reigns of the team in 2018, bring in a whole new football operation and bring us back to glory. However, based on history, the above scenario is equally likely and we could be stuck with the likes of Hornby or Young for an extended period. And given this likelihood, it would be far more preferable for someone with a background of success like JD take over.

In conclusion, I did not want Demetriou taking over as a long term coach. HOwever, given the history of poor decisions by our management, he was very useful to have as a contingency - a silver lining to the inevitable stupidity of our board! Worst case, he may have provided some highlights in 2017 before making way for our real coach in 2018.

There is no good reason to let him go. 'Twas a massive f**k up, whichever way you look at it.

j0nesy

Bench
All coaches start as rookies at some stage, it wasn't that long ago that Hasler was a rookie. The difference between JD, Mary, Price and even Brown is that JD has achieved a lot of success as coach of QLD and NSW cup. The others had achieved little if anything as coaches before been given the gig. JD had a far greater chance of being a success than any of the other three.

monsterkev

Juniors
some of the comments posted on this forum is the exact reason i have not bothered to post a reply for the last couple of months
some members only believe in what they post and nothing else
you think this forum has got weight behind it when in fact no one outside this forum gives a rats arse
how many people other than maybe a dozen regulars comment and when they do they get shot down
some comments turn out to be true,some false but i am sure there a hundreds of rumours about saints floating around
i reckon only about 5% of whats been written has come true and 95% shit and it is the same dozen regulars that post most of the shit
how many new members have joined this forum only to leave due to being ridiculed
a lot of posts now are way off track and have no meaning
this forum has achieved nothing and will continue to do so
unless this forum can attract members and grow it may as well not exist

duck

Juniors
some of the comments posted on this forum is the exact reason i have not bothered to post a reply for the last couple of months
some members only believe in what they post and nothing else
you think this forum has got weight behind it when in fact no one outside this forum gives a rats arse
how many people other than maybe a dozen regulars comment and when they do they get shot down
some comments turn out to be true,some false but i am sure there a hundreds of rumours about saints floating around
i reckon only about 5% of whats been written has come true and 95% shit and it is the same dozen regulars that post most of the shit
how many new members have joined this forum only to leave due to being ridiculed
a lot of posts now are way off track and have no meaning
this forum has achieved nothing and will continue to do so
unless this forum can attract members and grow it may as well not exist
For someone that's been here for 10 minutes you sure know a lot about the history of the forum.