What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes at the Dragons.

_Johnsy

Referee
I gotta disagree with your logic and way of thinking.
Im a St.George boy, took me a while to accept illawarra as part of the red V, but now i accept it as part of my team.
The Illawarra isnt an area to be taken lightly... given a chance imo most sports would try organise a team there, the A league will have a team there without a doubt, and if the NRL takes the team away from there believe me the AFL would jump at the chance to have a team there with no league to compete with.
I'm not anti illawarra, I just can't see either code pouring millions into an area like the Illawarra.

The Illawarra region has an estimated population of about 450,000, the Gold Coast is edging towards 600,000 & the Suns are losing $$ hand over fist. I just can't see an Illawarra A-League or AFL side being viable. We're (St. George Illawarra) are not viable ATM.

The Doc

Juniors
I'm not anti illawarra, I just can't see either code pouring millions into an area like the Illawarra.

The Illawarra region has an estimated population of about 450,000, the Gold Coast is edging towards 600,000 & the Suns are losing $$ hand over fist. I just can't see an Illawarra A-League or AFL side being viable. We're (St. George Illawarra) are not viable ATM.
I understand that, but what your failing to realise is the number of kids active in sports in the area.
The population may be 150,000 less, but i assure you the number of kids involved in sports is much higher in the illawarra then the gold coast.
These kids aspire to play and represent the region.
In the 2009-2011 seasons we would sell out win stadium.
An illawarra AFL team with local juniors in it would be alot better supported then the gold coast suns. Especially if theres no competion from rugby league.
20-25,000 a game would be the normal turnout if theres a team filled with juniors from within the area.
It would hold its own alot better then the gold coast suns.
Anyways, its a mute topic, league will not be taken away from the area, the NRL wont allow that, too many juniors would be lost.
So its an irrelevant topic really.

Bench
Perception is a funny thing.

2016 AFL average 33,198
2015 AFL average 33,428
2014 AFL average 33,696
2013 AFL average 33,484
2012 AFL average 32,747
2011 AFL average 36,425
2010 AFL average 38,417
2009 AFL average 37,776
2008 AFL average 38,286
2007 AFL average 38,113
2006 AFL average 36,412
2005 AFL average 36,561
2004 AFL average 34,423
2003 AFL average 34,333
2002 AFL average 32,935
2001 AFL average 34,852
2000 AFL average 34,094
http://www.footywire.com/
Thank you for that.

Old Timer

Coach
I see that there is a link on ninemsn re the top 10 NRL transfers for the next year .
Buhrer, Idris and Uate all got a spot and of course our top draw recruits never got a mention.

Old Timer

Coach
Sefton millers pub
Seems there were quite a few Millers pubs around but can't remember what other beers were on tap?
I remember playing a junior trial game at Sefton in the mid 60's.
The team we played wore black and white and scared the daylights out of us because they all had hair on their faces.
Got our arses well and truly smacked and never went near the place again let alone drink at their pub.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The population may be 150,000 less, but i assure you the number of kids involved in sports is much higher in the illawarra then the gold coast.
For a start, the population of the Gold Coast is about 200,000 more than the Illawarra.

Secondly, the Gold Coast has the Commonwealth Games in 2018, the place is going nuts with sporting infrastructure.

What do you base your assumptions on?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Perception is a funny thing.

2016 AFL average 33,198
2015 AFL average 33,428
2014 AFL average 33,696
2013 AFL average 33,484
2012 AFL average 32,747
2011 AFL average 36,425
2010 AFL average 38,417
2009 AFL average 37,776
2008 AFL average 38,286
2007 AFL average 38,113
2006 AFL average 36,412
2005 AFL average 36,561
2004 AFL average 34,423
2003 AFL average 34,333
2002 AFL average 32,935
2001 AFL average 34,852
2000 AFL average 34,094
http://www.footywire.com/

The 'perception' needs to be counterbalanced with the fact AFL grounds per se cater for a lot more people.

_Johnsy

Referee
For a start, the population of the Gold Coast is about 200,000 more than the Illawarra.

Secondly, the Gold Coast has the Commonwealth Games in 2018, the place is going nuts with sporting infrastructure.

I'm guessing he lives in the Illawarra & has some involvement in junior sport & he loves a pissing contest.

I am very confident of one thing (without any factual evidence to back it up) junior sport participation on the GC is absolutely massive, at minimum on par with the Illawarra region (per capita). Surfing, nippers, club junior sport etc.

All you have to do is venture outside anywhere on the GC on a Saturday morning and all junior sporting grounds are full. I'd imagine the Illawarra would be a similar story. I for one look forward to seeing some evidence to back up his claim.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm guessing he lives in the Illawarra & has some involvement in junior sport & he loves a pissing contest.

I am very confident of one thing (without any factual evidence to back it up) junior sport participation on the GC is absolutely massive, at minimum on par with the Illawarra region (per capita). Surfing, nippers, club junior sport etc.

All you have to do is venture outside anywhere on the GC on a Saturday morning and all junior sporting grounds are full. I'd imagine the Illawarra would be a similar story. I for one look forward to seeing some evidence to back up his claim.
Plus we have the games!!! lol.

I remember the same arguments between Sydney and Melbourne in the late 1990s. All we needed to say was "...but we have the Olympics" and that pretty much ended the debate.

Gold Coast vs Illawarra doesn't quite have the same air of grandeur.

The Doc

Juniors

Me saying 150k less was based on the numbers johnsy gave.
Sporting infrastructure for the Commonwealth games has absolutely nothing to do with juniors playing sport.
I based my comment on an article i read about the gold coast titans.
Im no expert in population or figures, and im not a big fan of media reports either, but i remember the article saying that the problem for the gold coast titans, and the Afl club, was a lack of juniors participating in sports across the gold coast.
Is that true? I dont know, but i know the illawarra is pumping with junior sports, across many codes.
And i dont live in the illawarra, never have, and never will.

Mr Red

First Grade
Sporting infrastructure for the Commonwealth games has absolutely nothing to do with juniors playing sport.
sorry doc that's one of the dumbest things I've heard.....
Any state of the art training facilities or athletics grounds etc etc will no doubt entice more kids to play sports.....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Wow, what a statement.

So you believe that new works and upgrades to training facilities, sporting fields, indoor sporting complexes, aquatic centre, cycling track etc will have no effect on junior sport. We are talking about everything from lawn bowls to football fields. Check out the list of sports that will benefit from this: https://www.gc2018.com/the-sport

With respect, I don't think you thought that one through.

Of course there will be a focus is on increasing participation in sport. It has already had an effect with most of the infrastructure completed or nearing completion.

The Doc

Juniors
Wow, what a statement.

So you believe that new works and upgrades to training facilities, sporting fields, indoor sporting complexes, aquatic centre, cycling track etc will have no effect on junior sport. We are talking about everything from lawn bowls to football fields. Check out the list of sports that will benefit from this: https://www.gc2018.com/the-sport

With respect, I don't think you thought that one through.

Of course there will be a focus is on increasing participation in sport. It has already had an effect with most of the infrastructure completed or nearing completion.
You mentioned that due to the common wealth games...
I replied that the infrastructure u refer too, being built for the commonwealth games, has nothing to do with junior sports.
Its not being built to accommodate the huge numbers in junior sports at the moment.
Please dont try twist things to try prove a point.
Iv noticed that thats ur style, but in this regard, try keeping to what was actually posted rather then ur presumption of what someone meant.
Will it increase junior participation? Time will tell...
Is it in place because of junior numbers currently playing sport? NO.
Its really that simple.

The Doc

Juniors
sorry doc that's one of the dumbest things I've heard.....
Any state of the art training facilities or athletics grounds etc etc will no doubt entice more kids to play sports.....
No one said it wouldnt entice young kids to play sport.
What i said was the infrastructure taking place because of the commonwealth games has taken place for the commonwealth games, not because of curtent huge numbers in juniors playing sport.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You mentioned that due to the common wealth games...
I never said it was the only reason. I believe that's a presumption on your part. Obviously much of the infrastructure was already on the Gold Coast. This actually helped them to win the Games bid.
I replied that the infrastructure u refer too, being built for the commonwealth games, has nothing to do with junior sports.
Its not being built to accommodate the huge numbers in junior sports at the moment.
Please dont try twist things to try prove a point.
Iv noticed that thats ur style, but in this regard, try keeping to what was actually posted rather then ur presumption of what someone meant.
Will it increase junior participation? Time will tell...
Is it in place because of junior numbers currently playing sport? NO.
Its really that simple.
You said, "Sporting infrastructure for the Commonwealth games has absolutely nothing to do with juniors playing sport." And this is the statement I am addressing.

I have not made any presumption to the contrary. I am saying the statement is obviously incorrect and gave my reasons why I thought it was incorrect. It's not a fight or an attack on you personally so put the gun away.

Now, back to your statement...

I'm involved enough to know the junior participation is currently growing at some of the sporting clubs. It's not a coincidence that there are upgrades and new works going on at the key levels. A lot of these venues were completed last year and this year.

For example, the Southport Aquatic Centre was rebuilt and finished in 2014 specifically for the Games. It's a much larger centre now and junior participation has increased. Other examples of finished works include the Indoor Sports Centre in Coomera (a GC growth area) - this has been a boost to junior sporting participation in the area. You might laugh at the Lawn Bowls Club in Broadbeach but the sport is experiencing more young people taking part. The architects and builders have done a great job and since the works were completed the junior participation has seen a marked increase as well. I could go on but you should get the gist.

To summarise: It's not a "time will tell" thing. Why? Because it is happening now.

If you are still not convinced, then ask yourself this... if Wollongong were to get the Commonwealth Games, do you think an injection of funds into sporting facilities would lead to an increase in junior participation? I am pretty sure it would and the sporting community would jump at the opportunity. It stands to reason.

Latest posts