What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes at the Dragons.

hazzbeen

Bench
To answer your question , no , certainly not ! If anything , they were greater , as the memories of the individual player ( wether that be at Test , or Club level ) still lingers today , even after all those years .

As gifted as so many of today's players are , a little bit of humility would ot not go astray .
I believe that is what the main difference was , the players of those days were proud men , money was not the over-riding factor , the jersey itself was .
So true completely different era , as you say proud men that played with pride for their clubs and their country . In saying that if there was big money in those days we maybe would have seen players enticed to other clubs and play for the money .

_Johnsy

Referee
Oh the grapevine! That sounds like a reliable source! If the Nrl loose the illawarra it will be swamped by AFL. NRL won't let that happen
bwahahaha I doubt any sporting code places as much importance as you'd have us think on the "IIlawarra".

_Johnsy

Referee
Just as much as anyone who cares about the Kogarah area.

The Kogarah areas has SFA to do with your laughable, emotive based claim.
The NRL are invested in the gong, there isn't another major code that would give 2 shits about the gong. You actually think the AFL give a toss about the gong & would swamp it if the NRL based side wasn't based there?

FMD, take your meds.

The A league has already mentioned expansion and the Illawarra has been mentioned numerous times.

Soccer has been big at junior level along the South Coast for years and at senior level the local compettion is strong and if the A league has any brains and imo they do they would look to use the facilities at Win stadium.

Lots of people are sick and tired of the same old same old from the Dragons and are looking at other sports to follow thats a fact.

Another poor season with the Dragons going further into debit will not help and the NRL do they continually want to pump money into a club with no vision.

On and take med seriously how old are you what an idiotic comment.

Gareth67

First Grade
So true completely different era , as you say proud men that played with pride for their clubs and their country . In saying that if there was big money in those days we maybe would have seen players enticed to other clubs and play for the money .

Yes , I do agree with you Hazzbeen , there were a number of players who did just that , more so towards the end of their playing days , one last large paycheck . A lot of those players left their long term clubs and helped with the rebuilding process of other teams .

I think what it is that annoys me , is that handful of players , not all , but a handful , whom are so fortunate to play the game , at the top level and being extremely well paid in the bargain , continue to do the most ridiculous things to put their careers in jeopardy . And by so doing giving the Game itself , a huge black eye .

Now I'm glad that I have that off my chest , end of rant , goodnight one and all .

Mr Red

First Grade
The Kogarah areas has SFA to do with your laughable, emotive based claim.
The NRL are invested in the gong, there isn't another major code that would give 2 shits about the gong. You actually think the AFL give a toss about the gong & would swamp it if the NRL based side wasn't based there?

FMD, take your meds.

Not sure if you consider the A League one of the major codes (although it is a truly national football code, unlike the NRL ) but the Wollongong Wolves have put forward a business case to enter the A League in 2019. They are based at WIN stadium.
The increase in salary cap for the A league as part of the new tv rights deal later this season will help them achieve this..

hazzbeen

Bench
Yes , I do agree with you Hazzbeen , there were a number of players who did just that , more so towards the end of their playing days , one last large paycheck . A lot of those players left their long term clubs and helped with the rebuilding process of other teams .

I think what it is that annoys me , is that handful of players , not all , but a handful , whom are so fortunate to play the game , at the top level and being extremely well paid in the bargain , continue to do the most ridiculous things to put their careers in jeopardy . And by so doing giving the Game itself , a huge black eye .

Now I'm glad that I have that off my chest , end of rant , goodnight one and all .
Well said ....

grouch

First Grade
We did a thorough review and everyone who decided to leave was sacked, and everyone who wanted to stay was promoted

_Johnsy

Referee
Not sure if you consider the A League one of the major codes (although it is a truly national football code, unlike the NRL ) but the Wollongong Wolves have put forward a business case to enter the A League in 2019. They are based at WIN stadium.
The increase in salary cap for the A league as part of the new tv rights deal later this season will help them achieve this..

I do consider it a major code, albeit a fair distance behind AFL & NRL..

They've put forward a business plan to the A-league, means SFA. The Brisbane Bombers, Wellington, Brisbane Corridor, Central Coast, Central QLD, Fiji, Christchurch, PNG & Western Pirates have put forward business plans, as I said it means SFA.

Certainly doeesn't look like the Gong is about to be swamped by rival codes is it?

Let's see how long it is, if ever, the Wollongong Wolves are competing in the A-league.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
One only needs to look at A-League attendances to acknowledge it is a "major player".

It is only a matter of time before it is picked up by free-to-air tv.

The only reason why rugby league isn't on 'life support' is because it is such a damn perfect sport for "the idiot box".

The game was indelibly marked forever following Super League (but that's a different story for another thread).

grouch

First Grade
One only needs to look at A-League attendances to acknowledge it is a "major player".

It is only a matter of time before it is picked up by free-to-air tv

The only reason why rugby league isn't on 'life support' is because it is such a damn perfect sport for "the idiot box".

The game was indelibly marked forever following Super League (but that's a different story for another thread).
TV stations don't care about attendances. They only care about ratings. A-League has none

Bench
Just back from the USA after 16 years and was shocked as to how the AFL and soccer has grown and the crowds they attract, NRL has done nothing

The Doc

Juniors
I do consider it a major code, albeit a fair distance behind AFL & NRL..

They've put forward a business plan to the A-league, means SFA. The Brisbane Bombers, Wellington, Brisbane Corridor, Central Coast, Central QLD, Fiji, Christchurch, PNG & Western Pirates have put forward business plans, as I said it means SFA.

Certainly doeesn't look like the Gong is about to be swamped by rival codes is it?

Let's see how long it is, if ever, the Wollongong Wolves are competing in the A-league.
I gotta disagree with your logic and way of thinking.
Im a St.George boy, took me a while to accept illawarra as part of the red V, but now i accept it as part of my team.
The Illawarra isnt an area to be taken lightly... given a chance imo most sports would try organise a team there, the A league will have a team there without a doubt, and if the NRL takes the team away from there believe me the AFL would jump at the chance to have a team there with no league to compete with.

_Johnsy

Referee
Just back from the USA after 16 years and was shocked as to how the AFL and soccer has grown and the crowds they attract, NRL has done nothing

Perception is a funny thing.

2016 AFL average 33,198
2015 AFL average 33,428
2014 AFL average 33,696
2013 AFL average 33,484
2012 AFL average 32,747
2011 AFL average 36,425
2010 AFL average 38,417
2009 AFL average 37,776
2008 AFL average 38,286
2007 AFL average 38,113
2006 AFL average 36,412