What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 wins TV rights

King Ben

Juniors
I thought it was a refreshing back-to-basics style of coverage.

I'm fascinated how they are going to go with only 3 Australian commentators and 1 in New Zealand.

Dan Ginanne is in Cairns and Andrew Moore is in Townsville. Will someone commentate the PNG game remotely from Australia?

(Just checked Andrew's twitter - he is doing Townsville tomorrow and both Townsville matches the following week. Then Canberra and back-to-back games in Perth in week 3. They're really working these guys hard!)

The Kiwi commentator will do the Samoa / NZ game tomorrow. What happens when there's two games in NZ back to back next weekend?

All of this doesn't matter at all but for a TV nerd like me it's fascinating. You'd think they would've needed 2 NZ commentators and 4 in Australia (with one going back and forward to PNG) at the very least.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

I'm fascinated how they are going to go with only 3 Australian commentators and 1 in New Zealand.

Dan Ginanne is in Cairns and Andrew Moore is in Townsville. Will someone commentate the PNG game remotely from Australia?

(Just checked Andrew's twitter - he is doing Townsville tomorrow and both Townsville matches the following week. Then Canberra and back-to-back games in Perth in week 3. They're really working these guys hard!)

The Kiwi commentator will do the Samoa / NZ game tomorrow. What happens when there's two games in NZ back to back next weekend?

All of this doesn't matter at all but for a TV nerd like me it's fascinating. You'd think they would've needed 2 NZ commentators and 4 in Australia (with one going back and forward to PNG) at the very least.

No voss devalues the RLWC!

whall15

Coach

I believe there are two Kiwi commentators and another Australian (Chris Warren) based in PNG.

thorson1987

Coach
Only just noticed that they have the time to kick off in the bottom corner of the screen.

Have they had that for all games so far?

morningstar

Juniors
Like Jim Wilson's enthusiasm but wish he'd turn his caps off. Feel like he is yelling at me through the tv.

Sky sports NZ best call so far which is novel. Love hearing maori/polynesian names being pronounced properly and not mangled by lazy Aussies.

King Ben

Juniors
I would've put this Samoa / NZ game on the main channel, shame that the News and Racing coverage meant that wasn't possible.

Coastbloke

Bench
I think the stroking of the chin on the 7 coverage by some maybe a slight case of sports commentating 'Stockholm Syndrome' in that we are so used to the usual suspects at Nine it just seems strange watching the game without them..

Having said that, it's refreshing to be watching IRL on FTA without hearing some knobhead commentator continuously referring to Origin or wondering why they are being 'forced' to their job and wishing the cricket was on...

Love Rabs and Gus doing NRL club football, but really enjoying their absence in this tournament and believe me, this tournament won't miss them..