What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 commentary & Sam Burgess

nrlnrl

First Grade
Ok, this is not meant to be another player bashing thread like the Jarryd Hayne one, but after speaking to a few people who agreed with me I thought it was worthwhile.

What was happening last night ? He is a good player, but last night's commentary was way over the top. It reached the point where a decoy run was a chance to say something like "oh Burgess he's in everything". Was this to justify him being awarded man of the match ?

mjk_898

Juniors
Maybe I'm just bias, but I tend to agree. I thought he was good, but they were talking him up too much. Some of the highlights they showed of him were nothing special (decoy runs etc) yet they still heaped him with praise for it.

I thought the same when then were going on about Sutton after the first half too - I thought he was good, but they talked him up like he's the best player in the game.

Seems to me like everyone in the 9 commentary team wants Souths to win the comp

Shanky

Juniors
id rather them go on about how good someone is, especially when they are talking about a good player, than listen to gould complain about the state of the game for two hours. i dont have a problem with critical analysis, but how many journalistic opportunities does he get to do that? dont force it down the throats of people who are trying to enjoy life...

sovereign

Juniors
I'm convinced gould pulls a players name out of a hat and decides to shower them with praise for the following week no matter what they do.

super_coach

First Grade
They have their golden boys, Marshall,Haynes,Burgess,preston campbell are a few who come to mind. Its all about the hype to get the punters intrested

chrisD

Coach
I thought he was awesome, it's disappointing that a pommy in an Australian team has the most fire in his belly and shows the most desire to win, loved his attitude.

Eelementary

Post Whore
They have their golden boys, Marshall,Haynes,Burgess,preston campbell are a few who come to mind. Its all about the hype to get the punters intrested

True. And I myself find the commentators' constant lauding of certain players (Hayne included) hard to take sometimes.

However, can anyone honestly say they don't look forward to seeing what Marshall, Burgess, Hayne, Luke, etc. will pull out of thin air week in and out?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Channel 9 have their golden boys. The amount of times ive heard Gould bat himself stupid over Marshall when he has had a sh*t game is ridiculous. My favourite is when marshall throws his no look cut pass into row 7, then Gould blasts the winger for not being there....

thorson1987

Coach
Channel 9 have their golden boys. The amount of times ive heard Gould bat himself stupid over Marshall when he has had a sh*t game is ridiculous. My favourite is when marshall throws his no look cut pass into row 7, then Gould blasts the winger for not being there....

HAHAHA. too true.

aussies1st

Staff member
The commentators seem to have some sort of list with who they go over the top for, pretty much runs through all the commentary teams.

westie

Bench
I don't think I've seen someone put that much effort into a game ever. It was a special performance. The praise was warranted, especially in the second half when he literally was every where. They do go over the top though.

green eyed mike

Juniors
Watching the game I thought it was one of the more tolerable calls I have heard from that team this season. Usually they are like a bunch of old women bickering about whether its time to knit one or pearl one.

On the whole they called the game well, focussed on the match at hand and not their personal agendas. The Burgess hype was a bit over the top but he did have a solid game and if the Bunnies had run in support of him more often, they might have won.

Danish

Referee
I actually thought Burgess was easily best on field and if not for Souths complete lack of knowledge on how to play with him (the amount of times he was ready to offload and just had no one backing him up is mind blowing) he'd have won the game for them.

Yes, they couldn't stop touching themselves over him but was well deserived IMO